Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many people on these forums know, my efforts to campaign the Z33 in SCCA D2D racing has gone on for years. Unfortunately, my last SCCA Majors race revealed a fatal flaw in the ECM. After weeks of preparing, my out lap of qualifying found the HR suddenly unable to accelerate, with revs stuck at idle. Despite replacing (in order) the accelerator pedal (ACC) sensor, ACC relay, checking fuses and grounds and rechecking the electronic control module (ECM), the Z would not wake up. This failure ended up costing me any shot at winning the Majors series for my T3 class.

Now, after a week of puzzling over this unprecedented f(for me) failure, I've found no less than 10 codes coming up on my ECM. Among these are P0605 (internal code module ROM read error), P0453 (Evap [ressure sensor), P2128 APP failure #2), P2138 (APP sensor failure) and P1421 (cold start control), all of which are new codes I've never seen before with this race effort. It appears that neither the throttle bodies or the shift sensor have any effect on this failure. My HR ECM has been reflashed by technosquare and UpRev for race tunes in the past.

My questions for the forum are:

-Has anyone got a positive reference on a service that has successfully repaired a HR ECM?
-Was replacing a Nissan ECM solve multiple operating errors? Besides matching the HR ECM, are production #s and serial numbers critical?
-Does replacing the BCM or other components become a necessity if the ECM is replaced?

The SCCA Runoffs at Road America is my next race and I've got to find the best and most efficient solution. I've searched many, many 350Z technical threads and consulted several sources, but not come to any definitive answers. I'll post here if and when i find one.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Many thanks to Seb at Speciaty Z and Clark at Jim Wolf engineering for answering my calls for help. Both were helpful in narrowing down the possibilities and potential repair of this problem. it seems like the stock ECM is the likely suspect, and no matter how many men, they can't put humpty-dumpty back together again.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30 views over three days and not a single response! Nobody has an opinion on this problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, here's a reply David.

That's it. You weren't expecting more were you? :p

But seriously, any progress? Near as I can tell, you have three weeks before tow-out to RA.... ehhhhh.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh , thank God for you Mic! Only progress has been looking for HR ECMs on fleabay and only finding ones from automatic Zs. The dealer wants over $1500 for a new unit, but my racer's discount from Nissan Motorsports will help. It seems nobody has much knowledge on this type of failure, so I'm somewhat swimming alone here.

·
Super Moderator
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After much swimming, it looks like my ECM is done. Not finding any HR manual ECMs on the market either. I've checked parts yards in Alabama, S Carolina, Texas, Colorado and California, but nobody has a junkyard ECM that'll fit my racecar, Not looking forward to buying a new one, but that may be my only option if I want to compete in the SCCA Runoffs this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts