Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo.... what did everyone think of the first race of the season? I watched the Qualifying session and like the new rule. I'm surprised at how well the noobs and rookies are doing, but I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Vettel is a beast. What's going on with that boy? Is it luck or skill?

I've decided to join a fantasy league and see how well I do. It'll be my first foray into a new sport (other than football).

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think Vettel showed today that he he is a very skillful driver. The race would have been boring except for the fight for 3rd and 4th place. All in all, Australia was an outstanding race. Hopefully the rest of the season will be as much fun as Australia.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to keep my eye on the Mexican. He's got potential.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It was amazing how far Perez was able to go without changing tires. One change of tires was certainly unexpected. You may be right.............lots of potential there. Of course, the disqualification hurt them. I can't imagine how a F1 team can make a mistake designing their rear wing.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't been following the news since the disqual, but I'm curious as to how or why the FIA knew to look at that team.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was also impressed with Perez. What surprised me the most was cars with KERS did not use them, and cars using the rear wing flaps were not necessarily faster than cars not using them.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC, those rear flaps were controlled by the driver. They could apply them at will during corners or curves, and it didn't really make that much of a difference. It gives you a chance, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

·
Registered
643 Posts
During the race, I believe the drag reduction system could only be used for 600 meters on the front straight. And it can only be used if you are behind another car and within one second of that car. It is supposedly an aid for passing. Now, having said that, the driver is free to use the DRS anytime during practice and qualifying. I believe they are loosening up a little bit in Malaysia and they will have an 800 meter stretch where the DRS can be utilized.

·
Registered
321 Posts
ah man.. didn't get to see it.

What are the new rules? I herd a rule about the wing angle so it reduces drag. Is it like F1 boats where they can adjust the stabilizers for less drag on straight a ways and during a turn do they increase the wing to produce more down force?

Vettel is a cheater..J/K. He has a device that collect brake inertia and stores it all in a battery cell. Which can give him 80 hp for 6 sec. Do all F1 cars have this?

·
Registered
643 Posts
ah man.. didn't get to see it.

What are the new rules? I herd a rule about the wing angle so it reduces drag. Is it like F1 boats where they can adjust the stabilizers for less drag on straight a ways and during a turn do they increase the wing to produce more down force?

Vettel is a cheater..J/K. He has a device that collect brake inertia and stores it all in a battery cell. Which can give him 80 hp for 6 sec. Do all F1 cars have this?
That is the KERS system and all the teams except the 3 new ones have it. Red Bull didn't have the KERS system fitted in Australia because they didn't think there was any advantage. However, they are going to have KERS in Malaysia. KERS=kinetic energy recovery system.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally finished watching the Malaysian race. Amazing how the pit stops really affected the outcome. I was stupid and forgot to record China. :banghead:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think the Chinese Grand Prix will be broadcast again at noon tomorrow. You might be able to record it then. The race today was one of the most exciting races in years. You have to see Webber's charge from 18th spot on the grid to 3rd. That was an amazing drive.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do! I'll look for it on Speedtv and see if it's available.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome racing at the Hungaroring! :shiftdrive:

I feel bad for Schumacher and Heidfeld. Sucks that they penalized Hamilton, too.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it's almost eerie how he got to win this one for his 200th race. Good job, Jensen.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
This is the first season I have really gotten into F1 and I absolutely love it. Every race is intense and I can't peel away.

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is the first season I have really gotten into F1 and I absolutely love it. Every race is intense and I can't peel away.
I have been a fan of Formula 1 since about 1960. Obviously at that time, I could only read about Formula 1 in Road and Track and Sports Car Graphic magazines. I have been fortunate enough to attend several US Grand Prix's at both Watkins Glen and Indianapolis. I've been an avid television watcher of the Grand Prix's since the mid 1980's. Formula 1 is one of the most intense sports and I find it unbelievable interesting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts