Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, I must have been living underground for a while now. I just picked up the August '04 Road & Track because the cover article is talking about some secret Z from Nissan. I haven't gotten to that article yet, because when I looked at the table of contents, I saw an article on the new GT-R (2007).

New GT-R!?!?! What new GT-R. So I checked it out. Not only have they been planning this since like 2001, but it's not going to be only in Japan this time. Also the picture in R&T is nothing like any pic on the web. Apparently, they decided on different body style. Which is fine with me because the new one looks way better.

So, here's what they're saying.

"Lotus is once again in the U.S. sports-car limelight thanks to the introduction of the Elise. What's next for this small car company based in Hethel, England? The Espirit replacement?"

Stop for a sec. New Espirit, I gotta check this out, but later.

"Yes, but before that, we discovered that the company is busy with the upcoming Nissan supercar, the GT-R. Sources told us that Lotus has been hired to fine-tune the suspension and steering. The prototype car, which wears an Infiniti G35 coupe shell, has been spotted numerous times around Hethel this past year."

Don't worry, the actual car looks nothing like the current G35.

"Nissan also has outsourced the development of the GT-R's engine to Cosworth, the noted race-engine builder. We hear Cosworth is massaging Nissan's VQ power plant to produce about 450 bhp. Early reports suggest that the 6-cylinder engine will be turbocharged.

So, what do we make of all this? Well, it confirms that Nissan is serious about the next GT-R, due to hit showrooms around the world in 2007, and is seeking the help of outside experts to produce what may be the ultimate grand tourer. When the GT-R, which may possibly wear an Infiniti badge, arrives, drivers of cars such as the BMW M5 had better keep an eye out."

Down side...price. Around the web, rumors speculate it to be in the $90K range.

I haven't been able to find any pics to link to yet, but when I do, I'll put them up.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Kool, this is very interesting but the 90k price range is a bit too high for me
i have been hearing about this so called GT-R but dodnt read anythign about it. nice find Lo fi!!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Yeah, Nissan announced this early this year in Detroit. I don't think there's any pics yet besides the concept photos. And as far as price goes, I've also heard speculation that it will be in the $50ks and the $70ks. I'm hoping the former is true. And I'm especially hoping what you heard isn't.</span>

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, those are the photos I've seen around the web, but the one (unfortunately only one, almost straight on fromt he front with like a 1/4 look of the side) in R&T looks very different...that is to say, better. Wish I could post it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, and I quickly checked into that hint about a Lotus Espirit replacement. It seems that Lotus is losing money like crazy (the Elise helps, but not enough), stopped making the Espirit in 2002 and as far as I can tell, has no plans of reviving or replacing it. Sad really. I've always liked the Espirit.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
About those pics of the GTR, I was cleaning my home desk the other day and found a promotional book given to me by the Nissan dealer. It has a little section of each type of vehicle they make, and lo and behold there's a pic of the GTR and a story on it. If you're interested, I'll get a better description of the 'book' and post it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 350z@Jul 21 2004, 11:07 AM
definitely would be interested in seeing it if you could scan it in

Yeah!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'll look for it today when I get home.

I found the book (2003 model brochure), and the pic of the GTR is split between 2 pages. A scan would not have done it justice.

I found this pic. It's the exact same thing as the brochure.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The rear end reminds me of the Corvette C4...? I'm not too moved by the wheels. Is it me, or does the front fender wells remind you of the RX-8?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">That's one of the concept photos. I posted a link up top to a whole page of them (here's the link again). I'm not too wild about the design. I almost cried the first time I saw it
</span>

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THe one in R&T is a good deal different from the pics in this thread so far.

Dirn, If I send you a pic from the R&T, can you post it in here?

Can I send pics over PM?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The one R&T has looks acceptable, but I'll wait til it officially debuts to say if it's ugly or not. Either way, I'm still going to get an R34 GTR. It might take a few years (decades according to Dirn, HA!), but I'm going to get one.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's better, but the one I sent to DiRN to post up is even better, IMO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts