Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm a supra guy (don;t hold it against me) but am now getting into the Zs. I bought a 2007 Z (auto trans) at an auction. It needed a TON of work but have finally got things situated aside from the trans. I am kicking myself for buying an auto. It shifts HARD and I assume that is because the previous owner swapped out the transmission and never reprogrammed it.

Here is the deal:
-- Swapped ECU/BCM and ignition set because could not communicate OBD with ECU. So the ECU VIN does not match the transmission.
-- Swapped Transmission valve body - the valve body is from a infinity transmission.

I can get the trans to shift (hard) to 3rd gear and it slips in 3rd so I may have an issue there but my first issue is hard shifting. The trans codes are
P1705 Throttle position Sensor
P1721 Est Vehicle Speed
P0725 Engine Speed Circuit
U1000 CAN

I took it to the Nissan dealer (Hudson Nissan in Charleston SC) and they gave it back to me stating they cannot communicate with the transmission. They are the only dealership in town -freaking nuts.

I bought the Chinese SVCI ING software to see if I could reprogram it and I could not get the tool to communicate with the transmission. I guess this makes sense since the ECU can't communicate with the TCU??

I need some advice on next steps. I'd like to have the ECU VIN match the car VIN but that is not my first issue. I just need the VIN in the TCU to match the ECU for shifting. How the **** do I make this happen?? I'm open to any ideas/suggestion/someone I can talk to/etc.

Thanks,
-Matt H.
1985 Supra
2007 350Z

·
Super Moderator
1,832 Posts
Welcome Matt- sorry I can't answer your question directly. I've never owned an auto Z33, but can see you've done your homework. It sounds like you've bid on a problem car, and the electronic controls that came with it. Such electronic architecture is complex in making such a switch. My suggestion is to contact a vendor like UpRev.com that offers tools and in-house tuning. They may have some real-world ideas or services that might help in properly reprograming the parts you have.

I wish you luck in completing such a project car- wish I had more concrete ideas to pass on to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I may go down that road. Good reason not to buy an auto...or an auction car. It looked unmolested but deep down its got major baggage!! Good thing is it was nevetr in a wreck so its not a salvage.
Best,
Matt H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am updating this discussion to give closure to this problem for others who may be in the same boat.
To summarize:
2007 350z Coup Base
Auto Transmission
Rough shifting transmission with no gear shift position on display.
P1705 Throttle position Sensor
P1721 Est Vehicle Speed
P0725 Engine Speed Circuit
U1000 CAN

Replaced the ECU, BCM, ignition key and ignition, door lock and storage bin lock.
I purchased the SVCI ING China Nissan programmer for $150. It a little hokey but it did partially work.
I was able to read the ECU models/versions from the TCU, ECU, BCU, Airbag, Traction COntrol and Dashboard.
I determined that the TCU and transmission was from a Genesis car.
I decided to swap the TCU with a 2008 infinity TCU. That was a no-go.

I realized that the NIssan made some ECU and TCU changes between models manufactured between 03/2007 and 09/07. Meaning that models made prior to roughly 03/2007 would not communicate with models made after the 09/2007. The change occurred sometime in there so it's a crap shoot as to which one to buy.

My ECU was from a 09/2007 convertible with automatic transmission. So I purchased a used transmission and Torque Converter for $430 with 116K on the OD that was from a 09/07 coupe. I installed the transmission being sure that the TC was installed correctly! After 3 cycles of on/off, the TCU and ECU became friends and began communicating. I was back in service. Shifts are smooth. The display is working and life is good.

The lesson learned is that the ECU and TCU must be ideally from the same year to be sure they communicate. I believe you do not need to spend the $350 to have them reprogrammed unless they cross that period of time from 03/07 to 09/07. For example - I suspect you can find a transmission from a 10/07 car that will work and communicate with 10/08 car without needing reprogram. I can't prove this but I suspect it may be true.

Also the Svci ing reprogrammer has limited ability. It supposedly can reprogram an ECU and TCU but only if it can read from the TCU/ECU to extract the information it needs. There is a way to manually force a re-program if you have the ECU or TCU configuration files, but it won't work unless you already have the ability to connect to the TCU or ECU. In my case I could not even communicate with the TCU. I am not sure there is any other way to program that TCU/ECU other than dealership and performance shops.

It's been a costly lesson learned:
SVCI ING device: $150
Service shop reprogramming attempt: $300
Transmission: $430
Transmission Gasket: $15
Transmission Fluid: $100
Hours and hours researching: Priceless

Hope this helps someone else with the same troubles.
-Matt H.
07 350z auto

·
Super Moderator
1,832 Posts
Matt- thanks for your update and feedback. If everybody who posted a problem on this board would followup like you did, we'd all be better off. Your review of the SVCI device was also good reading- does it just connect via the OBD2 port? What's the interface look like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It's a OBD2 bluetooth plug. Software installed on your PC and connects to the device. The interface is fairly intuitive but it is buggy. It must have internet connectivity to login and connect to a server (I assume in china) to retrieve information about the car. It not an ideal tool for programming - at least that I saw. It's great for diagnostics, resets, pulling SN from the modules

Might consider purchasing a J2534 device and using one of the remote programming services or by-the-hour consult 3 sessions to program your TCU and ECU. Or just take it to a dealer. Just remember that if the TCU and ECU are not from the correct year - no dice - even from the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.