Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

921 - 933 of 933 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey oil consumption buddies...just wanted to give you guys an update on what used to be my car. Nissan agreed to the buy back and I no longer have my Z... Even though it was a pain in the ass car (due to oil consumption) it was hard to say goodbye to my baby. Just to give you guys a heads up if you do a buy back- the car must be in fair condition cosmetically, you must have at least 4mm worth of tread on your tires ( I had to buy 2 tires :banghead: ), and has to be in stock/oem condition.
If you guys have any questions fire away. GL guys
How did you do it and how much did they give you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there,
am going to buy a Nissan 350z 2006 tourind model.
it had done 18300 kms.
any opinions????
how about the maintanence for this car?
what all things i should check before purchase?
please let me know all these things, am new to the cars.
thankyou guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 06 350z base new in 4/06. It always consumed about 2 quarts every 3000 miles. I decided to get the motor replaced after the typical fight with the dealer and showing oil change records etc. I did this as my car came to the end of my extended warranty which was late in 2010. I got the car back and babied it during the break in period. After driving it for about 10k since the replacement, I am back to square one. It is STILL burning 2 quarts every 3000 miles. The kicker is that the ham fisted tech that worked on my car broke a bunch of bolts, clips and brackets. I'm PISSED!!! Now it's been more than 12 months since the engine was replaced so it's out of warranty.

I called NNA and they said to take it to a new dealer. I called a new dealer and the guy said that starting the process again with a new dealer would be a "dead end." So, I'm going to try to go back to the dealer that did the work which is Bruce Bennett Nissan in Wilton, CT. This sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking at a 06 350 touring mt with 44k miles, was excited about purchasing it until I found out about the oil consumption, I checked the oil level when I went to go see the car today/yesterday n the level seem perfect n by the color of it I wouldn't say it seem just changed. My question is, does evry 06 have the oil consumption problem and is there any fix and how can u tell if the fix has been performed like if the motor has been swap out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
From reading the forums since '03, and many of the threads about the '06 oil consumption since then - it does not seem to affect every '06, there is no fix other than replacing the engine, and as in the above post, sometimes it happens again even with a new engine. Pretty sure that many of those folks are not getting a totally new engine but rather a rebuilt one, although not positive about that. If I were looking for a used 350 I would avoid the '06 models. FYI - my '03 turned 124,000 Sunday while on the track at Nelson Ledges, and I go through about a quart every 3000 miles. Not enough to concern me given that I drive my car pretty hard on occasion.....

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
It does not happen in all cars, you can request the service history from a dealer to see if it was replaced, replacement does nit guarantee it won't happen ( I am on motor 3)

If I had been smart I would have just left mine alone, a quart every 1500 is way cheaper as I spent 11k for my stroker which runs great but ain't worth the cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the replys! Just left a deposit on it , picking it up tomorrow if evry thing goes as planed, like I said do to the color of the oil it doesn't seem like the oil has been changed recently n the levels right on the money so hopefully this is one of the few 06 that got by wit no excessive consumption

·
Registered
1 Posts
call me a moron/idiot

ok...this is almost emabarssing to post...and it my first in this forum...

i have an 06 350 base z with 164,000 miles....and the car has been a dream pretty much

ok...so i have never done an oil change....on this car myself...always let the dealer do all the maintenance.....in the last few months i have been riding the harley more and more and the z sits in the garage a lot....i had the windshield replaced and the oil change sticker went with old windshield.....

long story short.....i drove the car the other day and it sounded like a box of nuts and bolts were under the car......i check the gauges...oil pressure gauge looks sick.....not a good sight with the pressure hovering around nothing....quick turn around...come home....check the oil....nothing....dry dipstick...WTF!!!!!!

so i add a quart...then another...then another...holy ****...at least 3.5 - 4 quarts low....i'll guess at that.

so i get the oil filter and oil and do my own change for the first time in THIS car (I'm very handy guys just dont have the time to deal with it) and i am now watching closely the comsumption.

after searching the net and finding all these posts and probs i am totally shocked...never heard a word ever about this...ever!!! I guess i had my oil changed so frequently that it never got to the pint of making clang bang crash noises i heard the other day.......i have no idea how much my engine ate oil....its a 6 speed btw

this is a real eye opener.....

wow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil Consumtion 350Z 2004 Roadster

Hi i just joined today. And I too have this problem on my car. Although, it didn't start until I switch my oil over to sythetic oil. Very unhappy to read that they are recommending a motor replacement!! My car is a 2004 roadster and only has 55,000 miles on it. I will just continue to put oil in it since I'm almost ready for an upgrade!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know this thread is older but I figured I would just post my own update. I just bought an 06 MT and after reading this I was worried. I contacted Nissan and they said my Vin # was not included in this TSB. How is that possible? I thought it was all vins with rev up engine?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
It is all REVUPs. Nissan is full of fecal matter. The "good" news is keeping the oil topped up is all you need to do & even if they replace the motor it will recur within 18k/18 months.

I tell anyone that will listen Nissan f00ked me without a reacharound and not to buy Nissan.

Nissan lost a lifetime customer & created a lifetime detractor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been reading the majority of the posts about the Revup engine which I have in a 2006 G35 coupe. I have found more on this forum pertaining to this engine issue than any other forum. I had my short block replaced in early Nov 2012 getting screwed out of the LB because of dealership denying any issue with the engine. The good news is the Tech who did the work did an outstanding job with no reason to bring the car back relating to SB installation. I can feel the difference with the new SB compared to the original version. I did not break in the engine according to Nissan but with more of a controlled moderate aggressive break in. I now have 15,600 miles on the new SB and currently have put 8500 miles on my last two oil changes, currently the last one has 4200 miles on it. I am showing the oil at the half way point on the dipstick but the G35 manual says this is where the oil should be when full. I see on the 350z its at the full mark. How can a company have 2 oil settings for the same engine ?

One area I do not understand is how did they produce any V2 engines when they were producing the HR engine by then ? I am guessing they are disassembling V1 engines and rebuilding them to V2 specs. If someone could clarify I would appreciate that. Below is a report on the issues with the Rev up engine that I have not found on any forums

http://nissan-data.biz/demo/informations/Tech_info_07_2007/Z33/EU-MREP-2007-01093.pdf

921 - 933 of 933 Posts