Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

41 - 60 of 933 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 06 enthusiast 6mt. and it looks like im eating oil too. i currently am using mobil 1 5w-30. i was thinking of changing to royal purple 10w-40. does anyone think oil weight and oil brand will help eliminate the 06 oil consumption? has anyone tried this before?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i got an 03 base 6m/t and i use dyno oil every 3500 miles. i've never had to add oil between changes. However, i tried using Mobile I synthetic oil a few times, i had to add about 1/2 a qt. to a qt. max between oil change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Maybe going to synthetic too soon before the motor is fully "broke-in" is the problem. I normally wait until 5000-10,000 miles before going to synthetic. Ofcourse if you are having problems and not running synthetic, then who knows.
I was wondering about this also. I always wait until my second oil change to switch to synthetic, and I've never had any problems. With my current Z, an '06 Enthusiast 6MT, I made the switch at 7500 miles, and now I have 22,000 miles with no problems. I was worried for a while, because it seems like almost everyone on my350Z.com with an '06 has the oil consumption problem, but mine seems to be ok.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went to Roayal Purple at 2800 and just did my third oil change on Wednesday. I have had no issues to this point. I have not had any problems with oil consumption at this time. I do see alot of people talking about it on here though. I will continue to check mine reg.
I know changing at 3K is a waste with the synthetic, but I just can't go beyond the 3K barrier. Old habit die hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just brought my '06 in for the same problem. Have to do a 700 mile oil consumption test. May have to swap out the engine after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 06 350 Touring Roadster (13.7K miles) is now sitting at Nissan awaiting a new short-block due to excessive oil consumption. Mine was burning a quart between 1.5 and 2K miles for a year. Finally, after the dealer documented low oil four times did they decide to take a look. At least something is now being done.

All 06' standard shift owners, watch your oil level...

Kurt
Largo, FL.

·
Registered
624 Posts
*Update #2*

Have about 2500+ Miles now on my car since they changed the oil for the consumption test. Had the flight recorder for about 2000 Miles. They are picking up my car to take it to the dealership today.

We'll see if everything worked out...will update again soon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am about to overhaul my z's fluids this weekend. Changing out the oil to Royal Purple 10w30, Rear Diff And Trans to Royal Purple MaxGEar 75w-90. I hope it helps in performance and that **** weird inconsistent grind noise when down shifting to 3rd then 2nd or even in reverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I took it to a dealer again after they replaced the motor. I took it in after 1,500 miles on the new motor. I am currently on aonther Oil Consumption Test, again :banghead: Oh well, I still love the car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
*Update #3*

Now the Z is @ the Dealer and they called me stating that after about 2000 to 2500 miles my car only has about 2 1/2 quarts left in it. They are putting an engine in, a brand new one. And Westpak, you're right, it doesn't seem like a final fix since they are taking my old oil, engine, & flight recorder to japan. I know there's a heavy chance I will still consume oil, but I pray it'll work out....or @ least they will find a solution soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys!

My name is Jim and I'm from Sydney Australia. I have a 2006 350z track model and have been burning a shitload of oil. 3.5 litres in the first 2000km's, another 2 litres in the next 1000km and another 2 litres in the following 1000kms.

Nissan Australia has up to now done very little and has pretty much denied there be a major problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no choice so have taken them to court! Have had one hearing 2 days ago where Nissan finally admitted that there is a problem with my car and have offered to replace my engine.

I declined and told judge that replacing engine is not a solution as the engine is a dud and a common problem with this revved up engine in 2006 models. I have asked for a refund on the car and nissan can take my car back.

Judge said that if I can prove that this is a comon problem, he will order Nissan to give me a full refund!

This is where i need your help. Could those of you that have experienced the oil problem please type up a brief outline of your experiences and Nissan response/solution. You are going to have to state your name and address in this letter as judge needs to know that cases are real and not some bullshit I am making up. I know its asking alot but if I win this and Nissan is forced to refund me the money, then it sets a precedence and anybody else in a similar position as me can do the same.

You can email them to me or send them to me on this forum.

Appreciate your help and i will let you guys no how it all goes.

Thanks

Jim

[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Burned up half my oil over the period of my 700mile consumption test. The would not put a new engine in and said my timing is too fast (the supposed reason). When I asked if they retarded the timing they said they don't have the proper equiptment to do it. I called bullshit and called corporate who said, in fact, that it's bullshit. Now regional is getting involved. So we'll see what they do...... but for the rest of you, don't let them give you the run around....make them fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post here! I was online searching for oil consumption in z's and found this site I am fighting this issue with my Girlfriends 06 base black 350 6mt. We have been fighting this since her first oil change it has always been about 2 qts low every 3-5k. We took it to the dealer yesterday and they called in a tech expert or something like that and said that the pcv valve was stuck and that this was not too uncommon. I just changed the oil today and will be documenting every 500 miles how much oil is consumed if any. So in short I would check yall's pcv valve for defects.

Michael

·
Registered
44 Posts
i jus got a 2006.5 is what it says on the door i got it @ 1300 mile what oil am i to use regular or synthintic all i can see as a common factor in the oil consumtion is the synthitic oil can i jus use plain 5w30 ? i checked the oil it has now looks fine, but id like to change it @ 2k, also how hard are you guys drivin your cars not that it matters , car was made jus for that but jus tryin to get an idea, oh are there any post on what would void warrenty i want to get an intake for it to start?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I have a 2006.5 model and I noticed that they have a caveat in the owner's manual that states that some oil consumption is normal for this vehicle. Did they previously have that statement in older models or is this a damage control (CYA) tactic?

Sorry I don't have my manual to reference the exact page but I distinctly remember reading that disclaimer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2006.5 model and I noticed that they have a caveat in the owner's manual that states that some oil consumption is normal for this vehicle. Did they previously have that statement in older models or is this a damage control (CYA) tactic?

Sorry I don't have my manual to reference the exact page but I distinctly remember reading that disclaimer.
Define what "some" is ? half a quart between oil changes is some, 1 and 2 quarts every 2000 miles is not...

41 - 60 of 933 Posts