Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What: I want to make the best possible NA 350z. The equivalent of a Porsche GT3 for a 350z.

Why: I love the NA engine and drivetrain. It is why I bought the car. If I wanted turbos, I'd have bought an STI. I get that there's more bang for my buck with Turbos. I do not care- for the same reason people buy the Porsche GT3 when a GT2 is more powerful.

Car: 2006 350z Track, 200,000km

Constraints:
- Needs to remain neutral to drive - I like the balance of the 350z
- Uses 98 octane or e85 flex fuel
- Keep torquey mid range (a defining characteristic of the VQ35 range)
- Completely streetable
- Aussie parts where possible
- No pointless aero or styling changes. I like the look of a normal 305z.

Current Power: 190 rwKW, 306Nm (Dynoed at Tunehouse, April 2015)

Already done previously:
- MCA suspension (Made in Australia)
- Front control arm bushes replaces
- Air Filter
- Piggy Back ECU

Mechanics Selected:
RP Customs - Excellent quality of work. They specialize in Evos. My brother in law uses them. They do not compromise on quality.

Parts:
To deliver the objective the following parts have been selected. In order from Intake to Exhaust/Driveline

Intake
- Jenvey Individual Thottle Bodies

Engine
- Heads worked (valve seats bored etc) (sending to Canada)
- Cams and Valves TBD (Waiting on Jim Wolf)
- Bottom End Honed (Australia)
- ID 725 Injectors

ECU:
- Link ECU (Flex Fuel) (from New Zealand)

Exhaust
- Tomei Exhaust Manifold (ceramic coated)
- Exhaust (TBD - custom made in Australia)

Driveline
- Direct (Brand) Twin Plate clutch and flywheel (Made in Australia)
- Rebuild gear box (I like the gearbox as it is - it's fun)
- Quaife Mechanical LSD

Traction - do driveline first, test, then build traction package. Below is where my current thinking is at
- Keep MCA suspension (made in Australia)
- Replace control arms (TBD)
- RPF1 rims
- Wider rear and front track to manage the power

Brakes
- Keep as is. The brembos are strong.

Progress:
- Scoped project
- Detailled build plan (Excel)
- Rough Budget
- Driveline Out
- Ordered parts, sent gearbox to be built

I'll keep posting updates as we progress. I'm in no hurry.

29543141_1691106810975519_4842296632531553385_n.jpg

29595418_1691106897642177_266395640514899633_n.jpg

Dyno 350z 159531km 20150415 Inteceptor ECU.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, so after much drama this build is back on the rails.

You can follow on Instagram here: Luthien Z (@luthienz) • Instagram photos and videos

RP sent the motor out to be rebuilt in about May 2019. But the quote came back at a staggering $24,000 Australian Dollars. My total budget for the build was $41,000. I had already spent $24,000 in parts.

So I cancelled the project and asked them to scrap the car. I've had my Z for 13 years. I was devastated, but simply had no other options.

After about 4 months they came back to me and asked me to give a guy names Ron a call. He's a retired engine builder in Queensland who builds rally motors.

We had a quick chat, and I decided to to send the motor to him to see what he could do. He clearly didn't need the work, but was interested in seeing if he could have a crack.

We had another chat after he looked at the engine. He was happy I bought good parts (Jim Wolf, Jenvey, Direct) and was interested in the challenge of building a VQ.

He estimated $14,000, but was clear that it could be a bit more or less depending on what he found when he stripped it. They are challenging engines to build well.

I signed up. Yes, it's still a fair bit of money. But I liked what Ron pitched. He understood right away why I didn't want Turbos. With an NA engine, its his skill that will get me power.

The engine was dissembled a few months ago. The Cylinder Heads were sent to be ported and polished.

Ron finished his backlog of Rally engines.

And how he's assembling my 8000 rpm VQ!

Yes, I know there are simpler routes I could have taken, but this is my car and my vision. I'm using quality parts and quality craftsmen.

It's been 2.5 years in a disassembled state. The A5 has kept me company. But I need that sports car feel back!

Budget has $3,000 left. I'm going to have to delay suspension, paint and bodywork until at least July 2021

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nice build, but after competing with Porsche GT3s on the track at SCCA Majors events, there's little chance of getting close to their overall speed or lap times. I say this with all candor, but even with a full racecar build, it's difficult to get the power-to-weight ratio down to where even a Z33 can compete with a factory built racecar like the current-spec GT3.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice build, but after competing with Porsche GT3s on the track at SCCA Majors events, there's little chance of getting close to their overall speed or lap times. I say this with all candor, but even with a full racecar build, it's difficult to get the power-to-weight ratio down to where even a Z33 can compete with a factory built racecar like the current-spec GT3.
Hi,

Yes I agree. I should have been clearer. I’m referencing the GT3 road car, not the race car.

I know that I won’t be able to achieve the same figures as the Porsche, but I believe that I’m aiming at the concept, not the figures.

A GT3 is a Porsche 911 turned up to 11. I want a Z turned up to 11. But still roadworthy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts