Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my wheels fixed up last week at the dealer after a brush with the curb and ever since getting it back, the tire sensor is not registering for the rear wheel they took off. Also, the front wheel they worked on shows 31 psi vs 37 psi for the opposite wheel. It seems like they screwed up the tire pressure sensors when they removed the wheels. I haven't called them yet (I plan to tomorrow) but anyone have an idea what's wrong? I have no clue how the sensors work myself. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, the passenger side wheels were severely scraped after a 20 mph brush with a curb and that tire refurbisher (Keystone out of Rockville, MD) did a superb job. I can't even tell they were damaged. He brought them back 100% in 24 hours. I was VERY impressed. Cost was $150/wheel. Just a little info if anyone ever considers wheel repair.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the TPM is located right behind the valve stem i believe. i messed up 2 of my wheels so i baught a set of 2004 wheels of someone in the forums. those didnt have TPM's in them so i had to take the ones out of my 05's and put them in the 04's. So most likely the dealership changed ur damaged rims with ones without TPM's on them so thats probably the reason why ur rear isnt reading. im not really sure how the TPM's work but im guessin they start reading the tire pressure once ur wheel starts going, cuz thats what i have been noticing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The TPM's can also be easily damaged when u remove the tire from the rim. so the person that fixed your rim could have damaged the TPM's.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
You can have your TPS transferred to your aftermarket wheels, but it is labor intensive. I saw a writeup on it once, and it required a lot of work on the owner's part to get it done right.

I think he got new wheels and put the sensors on himself using metal tie bands around the rim. Then he had the tires put on by the shop. But first he had to have the shop remove the tires and TPS off the stock rims (carefully).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
many dealers don't know how to recalibrate properly. They must go clockwise and I beleive they must start with the front left or readings will be messed up and you will get false readings as well as no reading!

been down the road, I know i had posted somewhere in the past what they do with the computer "consult"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had the dealer work on it for over an hour last week. I even caught the mechanic slip out the back with my Z to go for a 10 minute joy ride! He later pulled the car up and said it was all fixed. So I take a look, and the rear right TPM still didn't work! After speaking with the service mgr, I was told they would order me a new one, free of charge. So, I'm waiting for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts