Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

If you're interested, the NSCC is going up against WRX.org.au in their annual motorkhana at Eastern Creek's skidpan.

I believe its free to watch, and it should be an excellent day. Lots of fun seeing 4WD Subies handbraking around witches hats, and the RWD Nissans holding it sideways on wet concrete.

I'll be out there driving, but you can meet fellow Nissan enthusiasts and have a yarn.

Event starts at 9:00 AM this Sunday, and should run until 4:00 PM.

EDIT: Now with added dates! 2005-07-02

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Cool, I that's more or less what I went to here localy (ie. DECA at Shepparton). That was a 'Skyline vs WRX' club event. There were plenty of GTRs, GTSs, Silvias and a fair few other cars.

If it's anything like the one I went to then I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to participate or observe. Makes for some great viewing, but even better driving ;-)

ps. Scathing, you did not mention a date in your post. Good luck, and have fun ... wish I could be there.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Alan - I have yet to sign up with NSCC, but I will come and watch this Sunday. Have NSCC filled its allocation of cars for this event yet? Also do you need a CAMS licence to participate?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The allocation is filled.

You need a CAMS license to participate, but you could buy a one day L2NS license there I believe.

You'd have to be a club member too, though.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Have fun guys. And bring a camera if you can as I'd love to watch some other Zeds burning it up but mine ;-)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Alan - I joined the club last night and I will be going on Sunday as a spectator seeing that all spots are taken. I'll get my CAMS licence on Sun if possible. I have also volenteered to help with timing duties, but I suspect that this role has already been taken care of. So i'll see you there.

David - I don't have a video camera, but if I see anyone with one, I'll ask them if they intend to post the runs and get the info to lead you there. Alternatively, if Alan has a camera, I'll happily record for him when he's driving.

BTW, I believe that the WRX club is going to conduct the whole days events on a wet skid pad - no fun for RWD cars like ours. Too much wheelspin when trying to poweroversteer around tight cones = waste of precious time! Anyhow, if the rain continues, the'll definately be no opportunities for dry runs.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try and set a couple of low "grip" times on the wider courses, but most are way too tight for our cars.

For the tight ones I plan on getting the car sideways and seeing how long I can hold it there for.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a video camera floating around somewhere, but I don't know if the zoom is good enough for getting clear shots around the course.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not as far as I'm aware.

It can be our little secret.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I went to the NSCC v WRX car club motokhana event today. I was only expecting to spectate, but luckily for me there were a few WRX drivers that didn't turn up, so I got to participate.
The guys at NSCC were good enough to organise a CAMS L2S license for me on the day (annual licence), so after paying the appropriate license fee and the $50 entry fee, I got involved in running through 10 different course designs.
There was only one opportunity to drive each course layout and you also got to navigate for your partner. I would have preferred just doing 3 layouts 3 times each as that would give you an opportunity to practice and correct any mistakes that you make the first time around. But alas, we only got one attempt at each course and I must admit that it was fun doing 10 different layouts.
All courses were conducted on a wet skidpan, so the AWD WRX's had a massive advantage over the RWD Nissans, and it showed in the times.
Of course, I made many mistakes throughtout the day. The first was forgeting to switch of TC on my first course. Imagine my surprise when I was punting the Z around the cones, expecting oversteer and getting just understeer - wider - wider - wider with more power!!! Then I realised TC was still on, so I made a point of switching it off for every other run.
Being a first timer to motorkhanas, it took me about 5 khanas before I finally figured out that the best way (for me) around the cones in the wet was to approach fast, brake hard, turn the wheel and apply a big bootfull of gas to induce oversteer, apply opposite lock and throttle steer towards the next cone. Others preffered the handbrake approach, but I didn't bother trying this method because the Z's handbrake is quite weak.
There were several people video taping the event and one guy was nice enough to approach me an let me view one of my runs. I hope that someone will post some videos up on the NSCC site and I will direct you to the link if that happens.
Overall I had a great day and got to learn a lot about contolling the Z in the wet at lowish speeds.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Great to see that you got to participate KY350. Shame that you only got one run at erach course as really you need 1 run just let learn what the courser/layout looks like. Still, sound like you had fun and if anyone has any prictures/videos then I'd love to see them.

How 'tight' were the courses ... did you need 2nd (or 3rd) gear? Though, if it was wet as you said then you'd probably just leave it in 2nd all the time as the car should still be pretty easy to slide around, and you'd also get some power-down traction. In 1st gear I have a hard time putting the power down in the dry.

Overall I had a great day and got to learn a lot about contolling the Z in the wet at lowish speeds.

That's the most important thing ... it's amazing how much you can learn in such a short time in the 'right' environment.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could use second on a couple of courses (even if you weren't trying to dorifto like I was all day) but unless you've got the car control required to do 60km/hr + through some tight cone formations on wet concrete, first was more than enough.

My day involved me going sideways. I didn't really attempt to "grip drive" any of the courses, but wet closed-off hardtop always brings out the worst in me.

I only tried to do one course "properly", when I was racing a WRX (futile I know). I managed to keep up until the penultimate turn, when I dropped too much speed in a 270 degree turn and prety much lost all forward momentum.

If I can find time, I'll scan the various layouts.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by DavidM@Jul 3 2005, 05:20 AM
How 'tight' were the courses ... did you need 2nd (or 3rd) gear? Though, if it was wet as you said then you'd probably just leave it in 2nd all the time as the car should still be pretty easy to slide around, and you'd also get some power-down traction. In 1st gear I have a hard time putting the power down in the dry.

I did all courses but 1 in 1st gear as the courses were very tight and involved a lot of 270deg turns. I wasn't sure whether the Z would deliver enough power oversteer that I needed from very low speeds to negotiate the 270deg turns in 2nd gear, so I left it in first. Even in 1st and in the wet, I was surprised at just how much throttle I needed to get the car to start turning around (oversteering) - it was a big bootfull basically. So I had reservtions that 2nd gear may not turn the car around sufficiently. You'll understand what I mean once Scathing gets the course layouts scanned and you get to see the videos to see just how tight the khanas were.

If I had the opportunity to try each course 2 or 3 times, then I could have experimented with 2nd gear on a couple of the courses. As it turned out, 2nd was only needed on one khana as I was against the rev limiter on a straight and had a long way to go before reachin the top cone.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by scathing@Jul 3 2005, 09:04 AM
I only tried to do one course "properly", when I was racing a WRX (futile I know). I managed to keep up until the penultimate turn, when I dropped too much speed in a 270 degree turn and prety much lost all forward momentum.

I got to race a WRX only once in the 2nd round of the knockout competition. I was expecting to get trounced, but he only beat me into the garage by less than 2 secs from my reckoning.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There were a couple of courses you could have used second.

I used 2nd in the "straight slalom" on the way back and it was probably a better gear to be in. We'll ignore the fact that I only pulled second to pull a big drift around the 4 cones at the top.

The "Spiro Slalom", with its big straights, was also another course to use second in. With the torque of our motors, you'd probably short shift just out of the corners and then pull a higher top speed before the braking points.

The "Oh What a feeling" course was another 2nd gear course, which I also used (sideways).

But otherwise, most of the courses were so tight we couldn't have gotten around the cones without the handbrake (which, unfortunately, are too weak in the Z33), let alone leave 1st gear.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by KY350@Jul 4 2005, 01:08 PM
I got to race a WRX only once in the 2nd round of the knockout competition.  I was expecting to get trounced, but he only beat me into the garage by less than 2 secs from my reckoning.

They're not that quick, just grippy so they don't get punished for their mistakes like we do..... ;)

I was actually faster on turn-in to the first cone, and neck and neck through the centre.

The fact that I was running the Konis at full soft in the front, and 2 complete revolutions at the back probably wasn't helping with my power down.

Put me out on Eastern Creek Raceway against quite a few of those guys they wouldn't be smiling at the superiority of their symmetric AWD and rally-bred suspension.

The other thing is that the WRX club runs regular motorkhanas like this. The guy I got paired with had done the exact same courses two weeks prior to our event. The last time I saw these courses was this weekend last year, at the last NSCC vs WRX motorkhana.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Results are up. The data isn't in the public area of the NSCC forums (yet) so I won't link to them here

How I managed to set the fastest 350Z time is beyond me. I'm guessing its because I had the fewest number of penalties (and 5 secs per course is a killer when they're only around 30-40 seconds long)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I checked out the times and noticed that I got 2 x WD = slowest time for the khana. Now 1 course I drove off without completing after killing a cone and spinning, but I cannot understand why I got a WD for khana #10. This was my best khana with no mistakes or cones hit!!! I'm perprlexed as to why they WD me and gave me a 56sec time for a course that I would have completed in under 34s (similar to khana 9 but shorter).
Anyway, I was not there to set any records, but I had a great time.
Well done Alan on the best combined time against all the other 350Z.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think without one of your WDs you would have beaten me.

I had a very tidy day. I only hit 1 cone the entire day, which is not bad considering my style of driving.

The one cone I did hit, however, was a biggie. From what I was told, it looked like I was about to drift just past it in an apparent demonstration of millimetre perfect car control, but at the last minute I swerved in to it and sent it flying a couple of metres.

But, as long as everyone had fun that's the main thing. I must say I enjoy track work more, but there's something just plain engaging about chucking the car around wet concrete.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts