Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving about 100mph heading up North and everything was running fine. ALl of a sudden car starts overheating and then dies. I have a 6 speed manual BTW this is the cheaper convertable model as well. Anyway, This is my girlfriends car and it is bone stock and taken care of well but she was not doing everything she should have beforee I met her. Anyway, the car has 90k and I have changed the crank and cam shaft sensors multiple times in pretty short order previous to this last event.
So that was some backstory here. So car is running well just started to head out of town driving maybe 15 minutes at about 90mph or so and boom car shuts off and the gauges go nuts the car starts overheating and I pull off. I let it cool down for a while and lift the hood and coolant all over. After a call to AAA they arrive and we try to crank it but it turns over but no start. I say just tow it home please thank youi. Well the battery died prior to me checking the scanner to see what codes it had so it now says no codes stored etc . So I changed the 3 sensors nad no change. The radiator looks like it is cracked on the top because when I fill it water leaks out all along the top. It does not appear to have any water or gas in the oil so I do not suspect a blown head gasket. I get an odd sounding crankwhen iturn the car over. it does not sound quite like it does when a car is trying to start but just doesnt. this is like it is turning over but there is no spark or no something that feels like its electrical and will never start until I repair whatever itis but I just cannot figure it out. I am wondering if a coil pack can blow out or could I have blown an engine relay or fuse from the overheat? I just do not know where to look really. Just wanted to get an idea before I spend a fortune at a machanic having him figure it out. I am going to try pulling some plugs and coils and check for spark next. Any ideas on what I may try that could cause this? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear of this problem. It's a good idea to start by pulling a sparkplug and checking for spark. Also, see if there's any sign of contamination of the combustion cylinder. You didn't mention how long it was before you noticed the overheating, but if it was more than a few minutes, I'd check all the fuses and relays in the IPDM. Did you change out the battery or just recharge it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was driving about 100mph heading up North and everything was running fine. ALl of a sudden car starts overheating and then dies. I have a 6 speed manual BTW this is the cheaper convertable model as well. Anyway, This is my girlfriends car and it is bone stock and taken care of well but she was not doing everything she should have beforee I met her. Anyway, the car has 90k and I have changed the crank and cam shaft sensors multiple times in pretty short order previous to this last event.
So that was some backstory here. So car is running well just started to head out of town driving maybe 15 minutes at about 90mph or so and boom car shuts off and the gauges go nuts the car starts overheating and I pull off. I let it cool down for a while and lift the hood and coolant all over. After a call to AAA they arrive and we try to crank it but it turns over but no start. I say just tow it home please thank youi. Well the battery died prior to me checking the scanner to see what codes it had so it now says no codes stored etc . So I changed the 3 sensors nad no change. The radiator looks like it is cracked on the top because when I fill it water leaks out all along the top. It does not appear to have any water or gas in the oil so I do not suspect a blown head gasket. I get an odd sounding crankwhen iturn the car over. it does not sound quite like it does when a car is trying to start but just doesnt. this is like it is turning over but there is no spark or no something that feels like its electrical and will never start until I repair whatever itis but I just cannot figure it out. I am wondering if a coil pack can blow out or could I have blown an engine relay or fuse from the overheat? I just do not know where to look really. Just wanted to get an idea before I spend a fortune at a machanic having him figure it out. I am going to try pulling some plugs and coils and check for spark next. Any ideas on what I may try that could cause this? I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Welcome and sorry to hear of this problem. It's a good idea to start by pulling a sparkplug and checking for spark. Also, see if there's any sign of contamination of the combustion cylinder. You didn't mention how long it was before you noticed the overheating, but if it was more than a few minutes, I'd check all the fuses and relays in the IPDM. Did you change out the battery or just recharge it?
I pulled a plug and coil pack however I am working alone so I am not sure how I can check the spark as I have to get in the car to turn it over?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like failing water pump led to broken or too slack of a timing chain. Pull a front inspection cover and check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pull the inspection cover for the timing chain? And I had changed the water pump maybe a year ago before this happened. Not to say it didnt go out again but it had been changed once. The overheating was very odd there were no signs of it everything looked normal then all of a sudden boom car stalls and all the gauges go out and I roll to a stop and the car is overheating and I turn the key and the temp is pinned etc. I checked the fuses inside the box on the firewall under the hood but I am not sure how to check the relays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once you replace the battery, the diagnostic system becomes active again. Once you try starting the Z, the codes should come up.
Actually no I have a brand new battery installed and there are no codes. I honestly have no reason to lie about that lol. There are no saved codes.I have tried starting the vehicle many times after I changed the sensors etc so no there are no codes to help me here I wish there were.

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Actually no I have a brand new battery installed and there are no codes. I honestly have no reason to lie about that lol. There are no saved codes.I have tried starting the vehicle many times after I changed the sensors etc so no there are no codes to help me here I wish there were.
What model of code reader are you using? If the car is not displaying any codes, are you certain the ECM is functioning?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pull the inspection cover for the timing chain? And I had changed the water pump maybe a year ago before this happened. Not to say it didnt go out again but it had been changed once. The overheating was very odd there were no signs of it everything looked normal then all of a sudden boom car stalls and all the gauges go out and I roll to a stop and the car is overheating and I turn the key and the temp is pinned etc. I checked the fuses inside the box on the firewall under the hood but I am not sure how to check the relays.
I was thinking a timing chain from the start however it does actually turn over but if only one goes or if they get stretched that may be the issue. I will get into that this weekend and let you guys know. Thank you for the help so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What model of code reader are you using? If the car is not displaying any codes, are you certain the ECM is functioning?
I have used 2 types of readers and neither showed any codes. I believe if the battery goes dead for any length of time it cannot store any codes so I doubt its the issue. Without any juice to store anything in memory it obviously would reset unless there is an onboard battery somewhere but that would go dead at some point so I doubt that is possible. I dont know the brand names though sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello just wanted to update this thread. My girlfriend had the Z towed to a mechanic tweaker friend of hers. Great idea. He tells her he is going to put a good used motor into the car. The head gasket is blown he says. I never saw anything showing that mind you. So first thing happens is the shop gets "robbed" and the battery and cats are stolen from the car. There is no lift here its just on jack stands but I don't even know if it was on those since the pic shows it on the ground. ANyway, pics show the motor completely disassembled lights off the car the front clip off etc but I never saw a new motor at all. My guess he just fixed the head gasket but who knows. He gets it together and cant get it started. The reader he has isnt right she needs to go to the dealer for a good nissan special reader. And the cats are not his fault so pay him an extra 200 bucks for new ones. Then he finds a pluh he yanked out it looks like a plug one of the sensors plugs into but who knows. Then it starts but she needs a new radiator duh that was the issue from day one. She has not gotten it back he keeps nickel and diming her he is a tweaker who found an idiot that will pay him in order to get the car back. I have yet to hear it running supposedly it does run but who knows. I doubt it will ever pass emmision it seems to me he just fixed the old motor he would not have had to dismantle the entire motor if he was dropping in a new one so anyway just wanted to update. Once she gets it back depending on what shape its in I will update again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man- keep the girlfriend, but drop the "mechanic tweaker" dude/shop. Can you afford to help her and get her Z running?
Nah dumping the chick she can figure it out on her own. Wasted my time trying to figure it out only for her to take it and get scammed. I do speak to her and she is waiting for it to get finished I guess it needed a radiator as well so once they are in he says it runs. Apparently it starts now but I have no real idea since I am not involved but will report once I hear back and get a chance to look at it with my own eyes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts