Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving about 100mph heading up North and everything was running fine. ALl of a sudden car starts overheating and then dies. I have a 6 speed manual BTW this is the cheaper convertable model as well. Anyway, This is my girlfriends car and it is bone stock and taken care of well but she was not doing everything she should have beforee I met her. Anyway, the car has 90k and I have changed the crank and cam shaft sensors multiple times in pretty short order previous to this last event.
So that was some backstory here. So car is running well just started to head out of town driving maybe 15 minutes at about 90mph or so and boom car shuts off and the gauges go nuts the car starts overheating and I pull off. I let it cool down for a while and lift the hood and coolant all over. After a call to AAA they arrive and we try to crank it but it turns over but no start. I say just tow it home please thank youi. Well the battery died prior to me checking the scanner to see what codes it had so it now says no codes stored etc . So I changed the 3 sensors nad no change. The radiator looks like it is cracked on the top because when I fill it water leaks out all along the top. It does not appear to have any water or gas in the oil so I do not suspect a blown head gasket. I get an odd sounding crankwhen iturn the car over. it does not sound quite like it does when a car is trying to start but just doesnt. this is like it is turning over but there is no spark or no something that feels like its electrical and will never start until I repair whatever itis but I just cannot figure it out. I am wondering if a coil pack can blow out or could I have blown an engine relay or fuse from the overheat? I just do not know where to look really. Just wanted to get an idea before I spend a fortune at a machanic having him figure it out. I am going to try pulling some plugs and coils and check for spark next. Any ideas on what I may try that could cause this? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear of this problem. It's a good idea to start by pulling a sparkplug and checking for spark. Also, see if there's any sign of contamination of the combustion cylinder. You didn't mention how long it was before you noticed the overheating, but if it was more than a few minutes, I'd check all the fuses and relays in the IPDM. Did you change out the battery or just recharge it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts