Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i figured why not get 2 bags of 50lb sand for better traction on slippery roads(live in NJ). It didn't work yesterday when the car swerved all over the road something ridicalous. Lucky no one was next to me otherwise it would have been smashed. driving cautiously at 40miles pr hr on a 50mile pr hr zone didn't even help. Conditions were icy and wet. what can i do? trade it in for a 4x4 ......no! I actually have one but haven't had time to get it fixed yet. Or just maybe trade it in for an all wheel drive (mitsubishi evo VIII).....maybe. any suggestions?
ps: I removed the 50lb bags of sand because it just seems the cars handling does not improve but actually makes it worst.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Weird that you were all over the place. I had icy road conditions today and could only drive up to 15mph on the ice. No fun...

I saw a ZR today, but this was after all the roads had been heavily salted and sanded. Just drive slower and give yourself more time. As for traction, keep the sand. You might need it when you get stuck in snow. Then you can cut open the bag and pour the sand underneath the tires.

I've heard kitty litter is better for that, too. Maybe try some of those bags. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I recommend adding 2 more bags of sand and driving slower. The car handles fine if you respect its limits

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by DiRN@Dec 20 2004, 07:07 PM
I recommend adding 2 more bags of sand and driving slower.  The car handles fine if you respect its limits

hey Dirn, about how much air/PSI should i have on the stock tires with 200lbs of sand in the trunk?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I kept the pressure at the factory settings last winter. I just drove REALLY slow whenever there was snow (or just didn't leave my house)

·
Registered
376 Posts
You need to get SNOW TIRES. The tires on the Z are not really made for snow. Since the tires are performance tires, They become VERY hard in the cold. It's like trying to steer a hockey puck. If you get better tires for the snow, you'll have better luck driving in it. Or you could just get a cheap car to get around in when it snows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by lovetoclown@Dec 20 2004, 09:01 PM
You need to get SNOW TIRES. The tires on the Z are not really made for snow. Since the tires are performance tires, They become VERY hard in the cold. It's like trying to steer a hockey puck. If you get better tires for the snow, you'll have better luck driving in it. Or you could just get a cheap car to get around in when it snows.

Thx, your right.....haven't changed tires yet. I guess it'll be cheaper to get my truck fixed. It actually wasn't snowing just wet and icy (temperture here tumbled to 15degrees). let me run to the dollar store (i wish) and see if they have any snow tires for me....lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Beer Goggles@Dec 20 2004, 08:51 PM
You guys have snow tires right? All the sand from the desert won't help with the wrong tires.

you bring up a good point. no i haven't changed to snow tires yet. actually i'll just get my truck fixed instead and park the z for good days (man I hate that). truck is slow as molassas. let me go put the sand back in the playground sandbox....lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You guys are nuts trying to drive in conditions the tires weren't made for. I had a 280ZX in HS and drove that thing everywhere in the snow. RWD isn't bad in the snow, but please be smart and either don't drive in the snow or get some tires.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ditto with what he said. Handling isn't affect as much by RWD vs. FWD vs. AWD in the snow; it's more about getting skinny tir4es that can dig into the snow and having the right compound that can handle the cold temps. MY 240sx was actually great in the snow. The only times I had trouble were if I got stuck ona hill and had to start from a dead stop...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Blizzaks baby... If only I had the cash. I don't even bother driving in the snow... if I can't get to work, I can't get to work. Not MY loss :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Umm ditch those tires NOW! I wrecked my z in the rain because of the stock tires. Putting more weight on horrible tires is only going to make matters worse (imo). Cough up the money and get some snow tires before you hurt yourself and/or your z. Take it from the experienced, and trust me on this one.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
After 7 or 8 days of sitting in my garage and temps being below freezing, I finally took her out this morning. The stock tires were like rocks with a flat spot. I literally thought I had flat tires because it was bouncing so badly. I also could not get traction at a stop sign.

In all seriousness, I would recommend getting snow or all season tires if you plan on driving the Z in cold weather conditions. I'm sure a couple of bags of sand wouldn't hurt either. Actually, having a winter emergency kit would be good back there.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I suggested sandbags for that special moment when one gets to rescue a MILF by using it to give her car traction in snow and ice...

I just suggested getting snow tires for my OEM wheels and buying a set of aftermarket wheels for summer driving. My wife just :headshake:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Dec 26 2004, 03:55 PM
After 7 or 8 days of sitting in my garage and temps being below freezing, I finally took her out this morning.  The stock tires were like rocks with a flat spot.  I literally thought I had flat tires because it was bouncing so badly.  I also could not get traction at a stop sign.

In all seriousness, I would recommend getting snow or all season tires if you plan on driving the Z in cold weather conditions.  I'm sure a couple of bags of sand wouldn't hurt either.  Actually, having a winter emergency kit would be good back there.

Well in driving within the last week or so here in NJ (temp 15-50), I have noticed that once the temp gets below 40 degrees i can feel the difference hard and not much traction. On days at 40 and above i have great traction. Rain with temp below 40 would not be good and snow at any degrees with these stock tires would be dangerous. Car should have come with all season tires. Maybe i won't make a couple of payments so i can buy those all season tires it should have come with in the first place (j/k).

·
Registered
77 Posts
The number 1 mistake that people make with this car is not realizing that the stock Bridgestones are rated as summer tires only, which as stated by everyone means that will not go anywhere in the snow... We are also in NJ and get really good deals on Blizzaks as well as other All Season and snow tires if you are interested.. Please email me for pricing and options.
Thanks,
Jason
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts