Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helpsmilie: Hello everyone, my wife has a Black 05 350Z roadster with the factory 17" wheels. She has decided that she wants to replace the wheels with bigger ones. I have seen the Axis Mod in a 20" staggered configuration which she likes.

My question is, what size will be best for the car without having to roll the fenders, etc. Her car is stock.

Could you also send me some pics and links to where to buy.

Thanks in advance

Al

:newbie:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
First, welcome and congrats on the Z. Second, it's nice to know your wife has the mod bug. :clap:

I would not recommend 20" wheels at all, ever, no how, nunca, never.

Prepare for sticker shock when it comes to buying tires for those sizes. Go with 18's if you can, but I would go no bigger than 19's if she wants to go that large.

Several of our vendors on this site offer wheels. Check out the links up top. Or look in the for sale section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will pass it along.

How is Axis for a wheel manufacture??

Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 9 2005, 02:07 PM
First, welcome and congrats on the Z.  Second, it's nice to know your wife has the mod bug. :clap:

I would not recommend 20" wheels at all, ever, no how, nunca, never.

Prepare for sticker shock when it comes to buying tires for those sizes.  Go with 18's if you can, but I would go no bigger than 19's if she wants to go that large.

Several of our vendors on this site offer wheels.  Check out the links up top.  Or look in the for sale section.
[snapback]154022[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
welcome to the site

yeah, 20's are just way too big for the car. and definately if you are looking for performance 18 or 19 would be the way to go.

19" will give you better handeling
18" will give you better acceleration

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Sadly, Axis is beginning to get a somewhat bad reputation for low quality wheels. Not only have I heard about it on the Z boards, but I belong to a local car club and one of the members had called ready to order a set. The guy taking the call at the vendor said not to get them because they have a tendency to crack or break.

Of course, some people might not like Axis and spread nasty rumors about them, but I know of 3 instances where Z owners had problems.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 9 2005, 03:40 PM
Sadly, Axis is beginning to get a somewhat bad reputation for low quality wheels.  Not only have I heard about it on the Z boards, but I belong to a local car club and one of the members had called ready to order a set.  The guy taking the call at the vendor said not to get them because they have a tendency to crack or break. 

Of course, some people might not like Axis and spread nasty rumors about them, but I know of 3 instances where Z owners had problems.
[snapback]154036[/snapback]​

Volk Racing is the way to go

i have SF Winning and they are excellent :wavey:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. Are Racing Hart's or SSR's good??

Originally posted by ayman350z@Sep 9 2005, 02:53 PM
i wonder if studbuddy have had any problems with his Axis?
[snapback]154045[/snapback]​

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by rsrx@Sep 9 2005, 05:35 PM

Yes, both are good wheels. I have yet to hear a complaint about either wheel lines.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by rsrx+Sep 9 2005, 03:35 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-ayman350z
@Sep 9 2005, 02:53 PM
i wonder if studbuddy have had any problems with his Axis?
[snapback]154045[/snapback]​

[snapback]154057[/snapback]​

SSR > racing hart's though both are good.

18's provide a good blend of peformance and looks.
19's are strictly for looks. They will do NOTHING for handling.

I went with 18's for a few reasons:
1.) better selection of tires for 18" wheels vs 19" wheels
2.) Tires are cheaper for 18" wheels vs 19" wheels
3.) Better peformance with 18's vs 19" wheels - this includes better handling since the same wheel will weigh less in an 18" vs a 19"
4.) subjective, but I prefered the look of the 18's vs the larger wheels

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by ayman350z@Sep 9 2005, 02:35 PM

19" will give you better handeling
18" will give you better acceleration
[snapback]154033[/snapback]​

It is posts like this that makes me question your review of the "WORLD"S GREATEST LOOKING MANIFOLD"

19's will not provide better handling. The same wheel in an 18" vs 19" will have better handling and acceleration in the 18" version (though only marginally) for a few reasons:

1.) 18" version of the wheel will weigh less than the 19" -
2.) the mass of the 19" wheel is further from the hub, thus making it more difficult to spin, even if the weights were the same. But, as we know, refer to the first reason.
3.) In order to keep overall circumference near stock specs, a lower profile tire will need to be used on a 19" wheel vs an 18" wheel. Though, too much sidewall flex is a bad thing, so is little-to-no sidewall flex. Going to a 19" wheel will most likely require a 35 or even a 30 profile tire. This size tire can have a VERY stiff sidewall which may all but eliminate any sidwall flex. Sidewall flex puts more tire on the road during cornering and if the tire's sidewall is too stiff, any flex during cornering is eliminated resulting in poorer handling. *This is a generalization and may not hold true for all aplications*
To potentially throw in a 4th reason:
4.) More, and most likely BETTER, tire options are out there for 18's vs 19's. Better tire = better handling.*This is a generalization and may not hold true for all aplications*

All that said, get what you want because it is your car and your money. IMO, 19's are already too big, so at the very least, don't get the 20's

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Since I'm not going to drag race or track my Z, I went with 19's - mostly because they LOOK COOL! Period.

Go to tirerack.com or tiredirect.com or spyeng.com and start looking. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Axis wheels have had a reputation to crack. However, if you buy them from a certified vendor, you should have no problem returning the cracked wheel for a new one in the case that it ever happened.

Either way, I'd go with 19's instead of 20's. 20's will fit, but the profile of the tire will have to be very small to work on the Z. The 19's are a bumpy enough ride as it is.

Right now I'm running 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the rear with 245/35/19 and 275/35/19.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by StudyBuddy@Sep 11 2005, 12:36 PM
Axis wheels have had a reputation to crack. However, if you buy them from a certified vendor, you should have no problem returning the cracked wheel for a new one in the case that it ever happened.

Either way, I'd go with 19's instead of 20's. 20's will fit, but the profile of the tire will have to be very small to work on the Z. The 19's are a bumpy enough ride as it is.

Right now I'm running 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the rear with 245/35/19 and 275/35/19.
[snapback]154266[/snapback]​

The several cases I know of where Axis wheels cracked, they(Axis) tried to blame abuse or neglect and did not want to warranty the wheels.My whole thing is safety in an issue like that.Its nice to know IF your wheels crack a manufacturer would honor the warranty, however its NICER to know you wheels will NOT CRACK..
I recomend a good wheel like a Volk or Racing Hart..Call me tommorow and Ill get you some pricing on wheels and tires if you like...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Bubble - :yourock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:lol: Don't listen to Bubble since he suggested not listening to anyone. :nana: :rolf2:

Seriously, if your wife isn't going to do anything performance wise, then do what you want. Just remember how much tires cost for the bigger wheels, and remind yourself about ride comfort.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 12 2005, 06:42 AM
:lol:  Don't listen to Bubble since he suggested not listening to anyone. :nana: :rolf2:

Seriously, if your wife isn't going to do anything performance wise, then do what you want.  Just remember how much tires cost for the bigger wheels, and remind yourself about ride comfort.
[snapback]154341[/snapback]​

hee hee :nana:

seriously, the cost different between 19" and 20" is not that much. About $25 max.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts