Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2005 Touring Z. It came with 18” chrome rims and some W rated bridge-stone tires. I had some questions that I could not find an exact answer too when doing a search. I wanted to know the following:

1. What are the sizes of the rims in width, front and rear? 18x8 all around, or are the rims widths staggered as well? If they are staggered widths, what are they?
2. I wanted to not ruin my nice chrome rims and W rated tires in the snow and salt. I thought about buying a cheap set of silver painted rims with some snow tires, or all season tires on them. But the car has the TPS system on it to measure the tire pressure. My question is do you have to run those sensors? Will it mess up, break, or hurt the computer by not running a sensor? I have read a few posts that said you needed to run it, and some that said it is ok to not run it. I just wanted to get some clarification on that.

Thanks,
JAM

:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hello, i too have a touring model with 18's and my manual says they are 18x8 width all the way around and I believe the offset is 30. Check your manual though to make sure. as for the TPS, im not very sure because when I put my new wheels on this weekend the shop is going to swap the sensors over for me. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
They are definitely 18x8 all the way around. Offset is 30mm. Only the tires are staggered, not the wheels. The tire sizes are 225 and 245.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2005 Touring Z. It came with 18” chrome rims and some W rated bridge-stone tires. I had some questions that I could not find an exact answer too when doing a search. I wanted to know the following:

1. What are the sizes of the rims in width, front and rear? 18x8 all around, or are the rims widths staggered as well? If they are staggered widths, what are they?
2. I wanted to not ruin my nice chrome rims and W rated tires in the snow and salt. I thought about buying a cheap set of silver painted rims with some snow tires, or all season tires on them. But the car has the TPS system on it to measure the tire pressure. My question is do you have to run those sensors? Will it mess up, break, or hurt the computer by not running a sensor? I have read a few posts that said you needed to run it, and some that said it is ok to not run it. I just wanted to get some clarification on that.

Thanks,
JAM

:helpsmilie:
You may want to consider some OEM 17" rims for winter. You will find Blizzak Snow tires or All Season tires to be more reasonable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I talked to the dealership today. They told me that:

1. They are not sure if the non-use of the TPMS sensors will cause any problems.
2. The dealership stated that if I do not use the factory wheels with the sensors all winter, (and use a plain rim and snow tire) then use the factory wheels with the sensors in the spring, they may need re-programmed. Do they loose their configuration if you do not use them?
3. I called 800-Nissan1 and spoke to the manufacture direct. They rep said “that’s a great question” and said that they would have to do some research and call me back.

If I find the “real” answer I’ll be sure to post it. If anyone else knows for sure, please post it.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
are you sure about the width? i thought it was 18x8 and 18x8.5 ?

It may depend on the year.

'06 specs:

18" x 8.0" (front) 18" x 8.5" (rear) 5-spoke cast aluminum-alloy wheels
18" x 9.0" (front) and 19" x 10.0" (rear) RAYS® super-lightweight 5-spoke forged alloy wheels

·
Registered
120 Posts
It may depend on the year.
'06 specs:

18" x 8.0" (front) 18" x 8.5" (rear) 5-spoke cast aluminum-alloy wheels
18" x 9.0" (front) and 19" x 10.0" (rear) RAYS® super-lightweight 5-spoke forged alloy wheels
It does depend on the year. The Cast Wheels, prior to '06, were 8.0" wide front and rear. The Rays were 8.0" front and 8.5" rear (both 18")

Lou

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I checked Nissan's web page and found the chrome rims that are on my car. It only lists 18x8 so I'm guessing that is what they are.

illz33 are you sure that nothing else on the computer sytem will get messed up? I am guessing it will not hurt anything as well. I just want to be sure before I do it.

Not having to re-program them if the stockers sit through the winter is good. I was kind of wondering why the dealer would say that. how can it loose it's configuration in the computer system for the original wheels?

Can anyone else with an 05 validate this info?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
why would they not work?

how would it caust damage?? There are tons of owners that buy new wheels and don't put the TPMS in. It isn't breaking their computers down...

Just think logically about it. There really is no way for it to damage anything. Your only chance of damage is if you take those TPMS valves, and store them in the snow for 3 months.

The dealer said they would need reprogramming for the same reason the local tire shop told me that.. Yeah.. sure.. it reproggrams itself after a few rolls down the street.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure why not using a sensor would be ok, hence the question. LOL I am assuming it is ok. Just wanted to validate and not assume anything because then it would be my luck it is linked to some other function that throws some other code, then next thin you know pow. Something breaks. LOL

But it sounds like I can just get a set of rims and put some good snow tires on them without worry. So that's cool.

I'll just store my Chrome one's in the garage or basement until spring. Drive a few miles and it should re-discover and all is well.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Not sure why not using a sensor would be ok, hence the question. LOL I am assuming it is ok. Just wanted to validate and not assume anything because then it would be my luck it is linked to some other function that throws some other code, then next thin you know pow. Something breaks. LOL

But it sounds like I can just get a set of rims and put some good snow tires on them without worry. So that's cool.

I'll just store my Chrome one's in the garage or basement until spring. Drive a few miles and it should re-discover and all is well.

I gotcha.. wasn't meaning to be funny about it. :)

To the best of my knowledge you have nothing to worry about except the snow.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
yeah, I noticed your sig says new castle PA. Have you driven your Z in the snow yet?
Nope. It won't see too much snow. I can't cheaply fit winter tires and wheels on due to the brakes.

Your user name intrigues me. What do you know about NC? :)

<edit.. nevermind.. i know you! :)>

:welcome: to tech. Let me know if you need any help with anything. The Z isn't bad to drive in the snow.. What I meant about "nothing to worry about except the snow" was more referring to the salt and overall bs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NC = North Carolina? I know it is a state in the USA. LOL

I hate winter just because of the salt and crap that they put on the road. Always makes a mess and ruins everything. I need to find a job in souther CA. heh heh.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
NC = North Carolina? I know it is a state in the USA. LOL

I hate winter just because of the salt and crap that they put on the road. Always makes a mess and ruins everything. I need to find a job in souther CA. heh heh.

you are kidding right?

NC = New Castle ... I'm guessing you are Jason?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I was kidding. No, not Jason.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch...

I was getting ready to order a set of el cheap o' rims with some winter tires. I forgot to ask about that brass pin on the front hub. Can that just be removed and not used? Or is that for some kind of speashul saftey?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Yes I was kidding. No, not Jason.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch...

I was getting ready to order a set of el cheap o' rims with some winter tires. I forgot to ask about that brass pin on the front hub. Can that just be removed and not used? Or is that for some kind of speashul saftey?

haha.. must be a small world.. how are you aware New Castle is what I was asking.

i believe what you are talking about is so you don't mix the front and rear wheels up.

But I thought that was a bolt.. not a a brass pin..
can't remember...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey sorry for slow response. I am aware of New Castle because I have done some telephone/cable work out there a few years back.

I got my new rims and snow tires on tonight. I ended up with some 17x7.5's and some bridgestone blizzaks. I was impressed! I expected some noise from a snow tire with an aggressive tread. These road smooth, and were very quiet. The real test will be some snow! heh heh heh.

As for the TMPS system, so far I drove about 20+ miles and no flashing lights, beeping, or other. Just dashes where the PSI used to be. The tire shop said that in spring puting back on the chrome Nissan rims will just take a few mins and the computer will re-discover the sensors again.

Thanks for all the help on this one guys & gals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts