Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious whether or not you guys care abou 17yr olds owning Zs because Im 17 and own this great sports car. People at my350z.com seems to get all offended when you tell them your 17. My dad bought me the Z because it was a present for passing the TAKS test. In texas we have to pass this test to graduate from hs. Its my b-day and x-mas present for the next four years.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
hey i honestly dont care about age in getting a car. some people are more fortunate than others and thats fine with me. i think if someone deserves it or he just wants it then thats their perogative. we dont discriminate and we have open arms to all Z OWNERS!! :biggrin: We all want to learn about this car, share our own ideas, and meet great people. To me thats all that matter and age shouldnt be a factor

BTW :welcome: to the forum

just for info, this forum was started b/c of that evil place over there, so stick around

·
Registered
481 Posts
When I was 17 I drove an 83' white trans-am which I couldn't drive over 40 mph for months untill I could get the fuel flow problem fixed. Then if I really punched it the engine would hit the hood cause my motor mounts were crap.

I am 26 and I've been at my job for 8 years, and I am finally in a position where I can own my Z. Actually the bank owns my car, but their great guys and they let me drive it.

The point to all of this is you got a great deal. Treat it as such, and be modest about it. The fact that someone else bought your car doesn't make you undeserving, just privileged. If you don't flaunt the fact that you are 17 and own a Z then no one will think the worst of you for it.

Oh and of course :welcome:

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
yea i think the people that bash you are just jealous that you were fortunate enough to get a bad ass car like this

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
:cheers:

Make you a deal:

I won't begrudge you your good fortune, if you don't begrudge me mine...(45 y/o with a 25 y/o wife...) :jerry:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
To me, age isn't the issue - it's attitude. I don't have respect for anyone who abuses their car, regardless of their age.

Don't show off - don't drive recklessly - and be humble about it. That's the father in me talking.

My 2c: Even if I could afford to buy my daughter a new car - her first would not be a Z. I think it takes time to develop experience enough to drive a Z safely.

Sermon is now over! :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
To me, age isn't the issue - it's attitude. I don't have respect for anyone who abuses their car, regardless of their age.

Don't show off - don't drive recklessly - and be humble about it. That's the father in me talking.

My 2c: Even if I could afford to buy my daughter a new car - her first would not be a Z. I think it takes time to develop experience enough to drive a Z safely.

Sermon is now over! :shiftdrive:
Very well put. Just act yourself and don't be saying in like every post "I am 17 and have a Z" like bragging. Those are the kids w/ bad attitudes. Me personally, I was WAY to immature a driver to be driving something with power. I was in many accidents (only one of which was my fault granted BUT) and just dogged the heck out of my cars, until I was, well 33 and got the Z. My first brand new car ever. You are very fortunate to have gotten a Z, that's great, just be careful and don't be overconfident driving it or you will get burned one way or the other, by the law, or by the law of physics. Be careful and enjoy :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I despise young punks owning nice sportscars....

:rolf2: :jk: maybe... yeah. :irock: maybe....:jk:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
FWIW - I dropped out of high school in the 9th grade (after 3 months). We lived in a very - very affluent 'hood in CT, but we weren't affluent. My peers were driving Hemis and SS 396's and 442's and GTO's and Vettes. My parents didn't - and couldn't - buy me anything. So - I dropped out - got a full-time gig in a warehouse (walked to work for 18 months) and bought me a new car. I know all about this deal. Please don't rub your new car in the faces of your classmates who aren't as fortunate. In fact, reach out to them. Show them you realize it's not what you drive, it's who you are. Do that - and you'll have my respect. :irock:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I guess times are different nowadays. It's amazing to me that 'kids' drive cars I can barely afford. I had a used 1971 Buick Skylark in HS. Rarely did anyone have a new car, and I lived in an area that could afford it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
:cheers:

Make you a deal:

I won't begrudge you your good fortune, if you don't begrudge me mine...(45 y/o with a 25 y/o wife...) :jerry:

:rolf2: :postpics:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I agree with most of the above points...it's about attitude and jealousy. Some people just can't stand anyone that isn't "deserving" have anything nice (and that doesn't stop at what kind of car you drive, shoes you wear, clothes, house you live in, etc.).

Regarding attitude...if you act like a prick from getting arrogant...then you'll be treated like an arrogant prick. (no bragging)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dude im only 24 and people treat me like im a spoiled kid cause of my Z car I make payments its on my Credit and it eats up a week if my pay every month. I also find it odd how people react I mean some people are like "thumbs up" others just look at me like im a spoiled biatch. I know the truth and dont care. its mine cause i worked( am working) for it.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
lw3: On one hand, you are probably not experienced enough of a driver to be in an unforgiving car like the Z (not talking about power, but the ability to get yourself into **** you can't get out of - and quickly). On the other hand, if you learn your driving skills on a Z, by the time you gain experience you'll be one **** of a driver.

Here's what I recommend. Ask your parents to get you some driving lessons in the Z. I suggest autocross for the ease of location of events as well as realistic setting. Learn the car, and kill a couple cones while finding the limits in a safe, controlled environment. And please, remember to keep the fun stuff on the track. (If you're driving fast on the streets, you won't be able to hear the women yelling their numbers at you.)

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I was 18 when I got my Z, and I've experienced people nagging on me about my age. Personally, I don't care what anybody else thinks. Just keep the right attitude about your car and nobody will bring you down.

Oh yeah, and :postpics:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Don't care what you drive at that age...glad you are able to experience the Z. Do care how you drive...be careful during those moments when the temptation to push the car come up.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts