Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost too embarrassed to show this, but I need the help. I need to know what's wrong.

Click here to watch Drag-Strip-Woes

Is it my launch?
Is it my shifting (which I know needs work)?
Is it the problem mentioned in the video?
IS IT EVERYTHING?
DO I JUST SUCK?

Please help. With the mods I have on my car and the list of modded cars I've beaten in short street races from a roll (WRX, 3000GT VR4, S2000, RX8, etc), I find it hard - VERY HARD - to believe that I have a 14 second car on my hands. I could be wrong here.

Here's my time slip:

R/T: .292
60': 2.298
330: 6.309
1/8: 9.569
MPH: 76.38
1000: 12.318
1/4: 14.638
MPH: 96.56

Please help me.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
QUOTE (NAGA @ Sep 21 2008, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=555102
I'm almost too embarrassed to show this, but I need the help. I need to know what's wrong.

Click here to watch Drag-Strip-Woes

Is it my launch?
Is it my shifting (which I know needs work)?
Is it the problem mentioned in the video?
IS IT EVERYTHING?
DO I JUST SUCK?

Please help. With the mods I have on my car and the list of modded cars I've beaten in short street races from a roll (WRX, 3000GT VR4, S2000, RX8, etc), I find it hard - VERY HARD - to believe that I have a 14 second car on my hands. I could be wrong here.

Here's my time slip:

R/T: .292
60': 2.298
330: 6.309
1/8: 9.569
MPH: 76.38
1000: 12.318
1/4: 14.638
MPH: 96.56

Please help me.

Well first things first, your 60' time definitely needs some work. On stock tires you can definitely get to 2.0

What rpm's are you launching at? I've had success and several 2.0 60' launching at 2.5k-2.7k on stock tires.

Work on shifting quick, and practice which shift gives you the most trouble, for me its the 2-3 shift. I seem to miss that one the most.

So yeah, first thing is get that launch down, that will improve your time greatly.

I'm running about the same mods as you, CAI, test pipes, exhaust, plenum. I pulled a [email protected] a couple of weeks ago with a 2.1 60'

I wasnt able to hear the video at work, but at the end you say that the tach jumps to redline before each gear as you let out the clutch. Maybe you need to work on you pedalwork? Maybe release the clutch faster during shifting?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Brrcats @ Sep 23 2008, 12:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=555307
Well first things first, your 60' time definitely needs some work. On stock tires you can definitely get to 2.0

What rpm's are you launching at? I've had success and several 2.0 60' launching at 2.5k-2.7k on stock tires.

Work on shifting quick, and practice which shift gives you the most trouble, for me its the 2-3 shift. I seem to miss that one the most.

So yeah, first thing is get that launch down, that will improve your time greatly.

I'm running about the same mods as you, CAI, test pipes, exhaust, plenum. I pulled a [email protected] a couple of weeks ago with a 2.1 60'

I wasnt able to hear the video at work, but at the end you say that the tach jumps to redline before each gear as you let out the clutch. Maybe you need to work on you pedalwork? Maybe release the clutch faster during shifting?
Thanks for the response. For a while there, I felt like everyone was just watching the video and too busy laughing to suggest anything.

I think I was launching at about 2500. I have a problem with going higher, as I seem to get a lot of wheel hop (and I haven't found that sweet spot in between). As I'm new to the drag strip, I don't know how much my launch could improve or how much time it would shave off if perfect - I wish there was an easy/cheap way to find out. Any idea?

I think my pedal work needs improvement, but doing the mental gymnastics to figure out exactly what work needs to be done is a bit tough. Do you think the redline bit is a legitimate possibility? If you give the video a listen, it might shed light on the issue.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Best thing is a set of New tires that and go out in the country and practice launching your car and see what works best. Is your car and Auto or Manual? did you take the TCS off? There are a lot of things that could factor into your time being high. Was it also hot out I know my car could make it into the 13's but the best time i could pull the last time i went was a 14.0 but it was also 95deg out.

DAN

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (One_Quick_Z @ Sep 24 2008, 05:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=555389
Best thing is a set of New tires that and go out in the country and practice launching your car and see what works best. Is your car and Auto or Manual? did you take the TCS off? There are a lot of things that could factor into your time being high. Was it also hot out I know my car could make it into the 13's but the best time i could pull the last time i went was a 14.0 but it was also 95deg out.

DAN
I would love to practice like that, but I worry about the accelerated wear on both the clutch and tires in doing so. Granted, if it it's worth it, that could be just what has to be done.

You can tell from the video I linked that I'm driving a manual (and the little "MT" in my sig). If you haven't checked it out, I would really appreciate it if you could. The TCS was definitely off, but that's a little harder to tell, as the launch wasn't exactly ideal. As far as temperature goes, it was probably between 70 and 80F, so I don't think that was an issue. I live in Tulsa, where the elevation is about 600-700ft, so that effect - I would think - would be minimal as well.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
My car's power peaks at 6000rpms so I find shifting at 6250 brings down my times compared to redlining. Also, work on slipping the clutch on your launch because it allows you to be at higher rpms and get off the line quicker. Sorry I'm not much help, I like bouncing off the rev limiter sideways myself. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well all i can say is practice then, Just try to find the "Sweet spot" so to speak for launching. try to get you 60' time down to 2.0 and you should see some better results.

DAN

·
5,437 Posts
First things first, I'll mention that I'm a road racer. My friends are all draggers. I got pulled kicking and screaming to the drag strip to run the Z and I only ran twice because there was like 3000 GM's running that night.

On my first drag attempt in the Z, I ran 14 flat at 99mph. Both times. The first time, wheel hop and traction issues. The second time, I FEATHERED the clutch out at around 2500rpm or so. This isn't a foxbody mustang, as far as the Z isn't meant to be a drag car. You have to be one **** of a driver to get decent numbers out of a car not set up for it in the rear end, so don't feel bad.

My advice:

To **** with R/T's. Who cares. Get yourself good and ready AFTER the tree drops. GO when you're ready.

FEATHER the clutch out. Since you can't modulate the rear wheel spin in this car (wheel hop cause of the indy rear suspension), all you have by way of modulation is the clutch. Use it.

Make your shifts count. After all, thats all you have in a drag race (which is why I road race - much less boring). Don't try to kill each gear. Shift quickly, but with purpose. Slamming gears doesn't do **** for times anyways, it just makes noise and looks "cool".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys.

Curiosity... when you say 60 of 2.0 would have me see faster times, how much faster are we talking here?

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you get your 60 foot time lower you will see a few tenths shaved off your time. i have a few time slips at the house let me look and see what mine were when i ran my 14.0 and 14.1, I will have them posted by tomorrow.

DAN

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've cut a quicker 60ft with a 210whp/146trq, no lsd havin, 205/40/16 street tire wearin, worn bushing crackin 95 honda Civic with a K20 swap and suspension setup for road racing. 2480lbs with drive and full tank of gas

a 1.9-2.0 60ft is where you want to be on sticky street tires. Your 1/4 mile will drop dramatically if you do that.

Get something to decrease wheel hop. I'm not sure what's out there so I'm interested as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, pretty sure that I pulled the same 1/4 mile trap speed as you but got a 2.13 60ft and for some reason only pulled out a 14.1 which I think was b/c my tune was junk. people with my swap were hitting mid 13s all day on street tires. It was my first time to the drag strip with a FWD car, 2nd time ever. 1st being with an all stock Mr2 turbo which ran a 9.3 in the 1/8th. Man did that car dig out of the hole!

·
Registered
722 Posts
60ft times need work. I have only been to two drag strips. (1/4 and a 1/8 mile.)

I don't remember the RPM's I was launching at but, in my 05 with stock HP and on street tires, my best 60ft (2.053) came with almost no wheel spin. ( I thought I had bogged the launch)

Also, in the vid, your 3-4 shift was ok but 1-2 and 2-3 sounded a little slow.

If you are worried about wear and tear on your clutch, I would practice launching the car on low-traction surfaces and practice feeling the throttle-clutch-road relationship. Once you get comfortable under low traction conditions it should only take a launch or two with higher traction to adapt.

The ability to modulate throttle while you are launching is what you are looking for, and it requires "feel".

Of course, it is all easier to type than do. The biggest chunk of your time will come from the first 2 seconds of your run. Two seconds to make a gazillion miniscule throttle and clutch input adjustments. Of course riding a bicycle requires a gazillion little weight shifts to maintain balance but, once we learn how to ride, we never notice.

Just practice, and it will eventually be like ridding a bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips. I definitely appreciate them.

I realize my launch was sub-par. I've had times on regular streets, fooling around, where I've had far, far better launches than that. It's such a frustrating effect to suddenly change surfaces, traction levels, etc and try to get a launch perfect. Experience, I suppose, is the determining factor, like you suggest.

I've been working a bit on my shifting, lately, and think I've made some improvements. But thinking about it, it makes more sense - assuming that the engine cut-off at red line theory doesn't apply - that the launch would be the biggest source of time lost in this case.

Question:
If I were to drop my 60' time down to 2.000, how much time do you think that would shave off my final 1/4 mi time?

·
Registered
722 Posts
QUOTE (NAGA @ Oct 1 2008, 09:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=555902
Question:
If I were to drop my 60' time down to 2.000, how much time do you think that would shave off my final 1/4 mi time?

At least 3 tenths. And there is also some time out there between shifts for you, but I can't tell how much.

Here are the slips from my only 1/4 mile track visit. They should give you an idea.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well since this drag strip debacle, I've installed an MREV2 and 5/16" Isothermal Spacer. Tomorrow, I should be getting my Uprev Osiris, and 1-2 weeks after that, I'll have my first eTune back from them and installed.

Definitely have improved both max HP and TQ, but more importantly in the midrange. I'm eager to see what happens with a proper tune.

I plan to hit the drag strip again within the next 2 weeks, and I'll post the results either here or in a new thread. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may just need to work on your launch. You have to understand that we have rear wheel drive cars with lots of power. I tracked my 08Z with just 3,000 miles on it and was able to run a 13.847 at 104mph. Pratice your launch by not reving so high. You should be able to pull any car in our class by 3rd gear. I added a dual intake Pop-Charger and can't wait to get back to the track!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (Mr.350 @ Mar 1 2009, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=569798
You may just need to work on your launch. You have to understand that we have rear wheel drive cars with lots of power. I tracked my 08Z with just 3,000 miles on it and was able to run a 13.847 at 104mph. Pratice your launch by not reving so high. You should be able to pull any car in our class by 3rd gear. I added a dual intake Pop-Charger and can't wait to get back to the track!
Well, I definitely need to work on my launch on the track. It's completely different than a regular road, traction-wise. I have, however, fixed my timing on my 1-2 shift. My brother timed it, and I was looking at about 0.5+ seconds, which is no good. Fixing that should help a lot, too.

Another thing to consider with your time is that you have the HR Z. Those are significantly faster than pre-HR Z's. However, my Z should be able to put down low 13's after I get my car tuned next week. Dyno-wise, it already puts down about the same WHP numbers as an HR Z (like yours), but has way more WTQ.

We shall see. I'm excited.

I'd also love to know how much of a difference the dual Popchargers make for you. I'll bet they sound awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (NAGA @ Mar 9 2009, 02:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=570520
Well, I definitely need to work on my launch on the track. It's completely different than a regular road, traction-wise. I have, however, fixed my timing on my 1-2 shift. My brother timed it, and I was looking at about 0.5+ seconds, which is no good. Fixing that should help a lot, too. Another thing to consider with your time is that you have the HR Z. Those are significantly faster than pre-HR Z's. However, my Z should be able to put down low 13's after I get my car tuned next week. Dyno-wise, it already puts down about the same WHP numbers as an HR Z (like yours), but has way more WTQ. We shall see. I'm excited. I'd also love to know how much of a difference the dual Popchargers make for you. I'll bet they sound awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man they sound great! They sound off over 3200rpm. I can feel the torque more than expected. I want to dyno the car soon to see what its output is. I just can't wait till I can run a low 13 or even 12 high. I know it will take a lot of work and money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts