Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, seems ColesExpress and Shell will be offering 100 RON petrol atm for a limited time

So who's going to be the first to try it?

This will be awesome for those with piggy back or aftermarket ecu's.......can tune the car to 100RON now and get more power

Info compliments of my bro who works for ColesMyer

Coles Express, in conjunction with Shell, today launched a new super-high
premium fuel, with a minimum octane rating of 100, the highest currently
available at any Australian service station.
Called Optimax Extreme, this fuel has been formulated for use in most
modern, high performance cars and is designed to deliver a higher level of
engine responsiveness, sharper acceleration and enhanced power, when you
need it. I have been fortunate enough to trial this fuel in my car over the
past couple of days and I can assure you its lives up to this promise!
Optimax Extreme is made with 5% ethanol and as such is the first
ethanol-based premium fuel to be sold at Coles Express. Ethanol is a
cleaner burning, renewable fuel, which can help to reduce Greenhouse gas
emissions. It is also an important component of Optimax Extreme that has
helped the fuel reach a minimum 100 octane rating.

I believe the premium quality of Optimax Extreme will excite customers with
its performance characteristics and in doing so help to demonstrate the
potential of ethanol-based fuels to our customers.
As Australia's number one fuel and convenience retailer, Coles Express is
uniquely positioned to play a lead role in improving consumer perceptions
regarding ethanol-based fuels. We are also the only fuel retailer able to
offer an ethanol-based fuel in conjunction with the Coles Myer fuel
discount scheme.
Shell Optimax Extreme will be available exclusively through selected Coles
Express service stations in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, Geelong
and the Gold Coast. Over the coming weeks we will monitor the customer
response to Optimax Extreme and if needed will look to expand its
availability.

and list of locations

F010 - COLES EXPRESS BURWOOD VIC 16-Nov
F321 - COLES EXPRESS ASHBURTON VIC 15-Nov
F488 - COLES EXPRESS RICHMOND VIC 15-Nov
F537 - COLES EXPRESS CHELTENHAM VIC 15-Nov
G304 - COLES EXPRESS ST ALBANS VIC 15-Nov
G687 - COLES EXPRESS FERNTREE GULLY VIC 15-Nov
G791 - COLES EXPRESS VERMONT SOUTH VIC 15-Nov

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's good but we are still having the wool pulled over our eyes here in Oz. This new 100 ron fuel is still only equivalent to around 95-96 pump octane rating that they have in the states. Our current 98 ron is equivalent to their 94 octane rating. Mind you, our quoted ron's are only as good as the blends, again we can have a rated ron of 98 or 100 but they actually perform much less. The American way of testing the average (pump octane rating) is much better and much more reliable than what we use here and in Europe.

Still it's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't get too excited.

cheers

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but im thinking even if it is only really 98, its still a 3-4 RON jump from what '98RON' really is

and with a unichip, you should be able to extract even more power from the car

hopefully Peter's sees this thread and adds his thoughts on the higher ron juice

what's stopping me rushing down to Richmond to fill up is the 5% ethanol. Even though in industry terms 10% above is the crucial number for damage, its unknown how each car will react with it

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'd say even the normal ECU should be able to do something with it. Afterall, ECUs are programmed to 'tune' themselves for a range of RON ratings.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've seen 100RON for sale at Shell today, being sold as "Optimax Extreme".

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
i just noticed that it has 5% enthanol content. I don't think that is a good thing.
I don't think that's a good thing either though... with 5% enthanol in it... I was quite surprised/happy to read this news until I found out it was with 5% enthanol... :(

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Richie,

I managed to see your awesome 350Z! recently at the Charlie Batisttie Workshop located in Nunawading.

My 350Z was there as well getting repaired by Paul. I must say, I love your JDM approach to your 350Z. Looks FANTASIC!

Kind regards,
Bernard

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I will load a article on ethonal based fuels from High performacne imports. Its an awsome article in which a GTR with 270rwkw at max tune, changing to a ethonal blend was able to get another 30rwkws at the same boost pressure, in essence the ethonal blend worked like race gas enabling a higher state of tune with no signs of detonation.

They also mention something about the government making out like ethonal fuel is bad because they dont have a tax on it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My Z lives on half 91 and half 101. EXTA Z is on a high protien diet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hi Richie,

I managed to see your awesome 350Z! recently at the Charlie Batisttie Workshop located in Nunawading.

My 350Z was there as well getting repaired by Paul. I must say, I love your JDM approach to your 350Z. Looks FANTASIC!

Kind regards,
Bernard
Thanks Bernard.... do you have a black zed with zed badge on 4 wheels, that car looks hot!!! And do you happen to know John as well at Sendai motorsports? If that is you, then it is a very small world mate! I know John for ages already...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
5,719 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks Bernard.... do you have a black zed with zed badge on 4 wheels, that car looks hot!!! And do you happen to know John as well at Sendai motorsports? If that is you, then it is a very small world mate! I know John for ages already...

cheers,

richie
Yeah, that's my car. And yes, I also know of John at Sendai Motorsports.

I understand Arnold has been looking after your car at HyperTech Autosports. He told me about it. Very impressive car you have. :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OT:

Bernard, you have got a PM!! and Arnold no longer looks after my car anymore, I swapped to nizpro already :)

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok so i thought i'd use my Girlfriend 04' Corrolla as a guinea pig and fill it up with 100 Ron optimax. You can feel the difference...feels much more responsive.

Now the nissan website says that they do not recommend for pre 2004 built cars...does this mean my 03 track cant use it but the 04 can?

I don't think it will be a problem becuase as fas as i know most US petrols have ethanol at a minimum of 10% (US guys feel free to chime in on that one) Plus it is only 5% ethanol.

I'm really thinking of giving it a try. Your thoughts? Or at least do one tank 100 next tank 98 one tank 100 next 98 etc

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I don't think it will be a problem becuase as fas as i know most US petrols have ethanol at a minimum of 10% (US guys feel free to chime in on that one) Plus it is only 5% ethanol.
True.

But its also true that US delivered cars are not the same as the Aus delivered ones. Do those differences include the fuel lines and various seals, as well as whatever bits within the engine that are succeptible to damage from ethanol?

I've run a tank of 100RON through the Z and I did notice a difference, and I'll probably do it again right before I hit the track. But I won't run it all the time, just in case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts