1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Why I say attending any type of high-performance driving course is the best investment to becoming a safer, better, and faster driver. People are quick to drop $10-$20k into a F/I system but will never drive it to its full potential w/o attending a HPDE. Than get upset when a Miata passes them. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
This article is excellent. Just wish I could mentally image stuff better for part #1.

QUOTE (Robert_K @ Apr 2 2008, 02:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=513067
Why I say attending any type of high-performance driving course is the best investment to becoming a safer, better, and faster driver. People are quick to drop $10-$20k into a F/I system but will never drive it to its full potential w/o attending a HPDE. Than get upset when a Miata passes them. LOL!!!
+1, the best mod is to the driver. Its something that will go on to every car you own, and for a little more than the price of a new intake (which does little), you'll be a better driver (which does a lot). Heck, an autox day with an instructor would probably be less than the intake.

A couple of months back I read an editorial in Winding Road that discussed this. The editor recounted driving a Porsche 4s, and not being able to keep up with a skilled driver (I forget who now), driving a Volvo C30.

~Pat

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hmmm.... let's see here.

#1 applies to all the retards around here because they violate or practice rules 2 and 3. :banghead:

I'm surrounded by people who move in from rural areas where they're used to never looking around and staring straight ahead like sheep or lemmings.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think most drivers both on and off track are guilty of the first four, but IMO the biggest on-track one is #7:QUOTE
7. OVERDRIVING.
Technical proficiency requires little physical effort because the performances are always controlled, balanced. Less technically perfected efforts require as much physical and emotional strength as necessary to continually snatch oneself back from disaster time after time. To do something inefficiently (badly) requires more effort, like driving a car with an out-of-balance wheel. "Natural talent" is no substitute for careful learning and diligent practice. Beginners should not expect to post times that would champions would be proud to claim. Experienced drivers who have been idle should expect to spend practice time to find and refine old skills. Approaching perfection that's when the pro-athlete most recognizes the need for his coach. To extract that last 10% to 15% is inordinately more difficult.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (NoZYet @ Apr 3 2008, 12:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=513122
A couple of months back I read an editorial in Winding Road that discussed this. The editor recounted driving a Porsche 4s, and not being able to keep up with a skilled driver (I forget who now), driving a Volvo C30.
Yeah. I remember reading an editorial in a local mag, where one of the journos went to some Scandinavian country and was picked up by an ex rally champion. He was in an Audi S4 (or was it S8?), the rally driver was in a FWD Audi 100. It was snowing on the way to their destination.

The rally driver, unsurprisingly, went around the journo and his AWD, ESP'ed monster and disappeared up the road in this 10+ year old car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ha Ha I already knew all of those techniques (self taught) and Im only 18 however I have been driving for over 8 years now cuz of go-cart racing. ;) Plus the go-cart I drive goes 0-100km/h in 2.5 seconds to bad it doesn't have the same top speed as a Z the go-cart goes 200km/h

1 - 14 of 14 Posts