Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of the '06 bi-xenon headlight. The projector is clearly bigger than on my '04, so I'm wondering how much sharper the beam pattern is, and/or how much brighter it is over my headlights. These are offered at PNP for $1295 a pair. I'm just wondering if the high beams through the HID will work plug n' play...? How does that work with only one HID bulb in each headlight??? I'd love to see a side by side nighttime comparison of the '04 headlights and '06 headlights, just to see if it would be worth spending all that money. Yeah, $1295 is a LOT of money, but to me it's worth it for a superior ligthing system... I'm sick of driving at night with HID's and still not being able to see the road lit up bright and clear.

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...es/z3306oTW.jpg

Does anyone have pics of the '06 headlights at night?

If I'm gonna spend $1k+ on better headlights anyway, I might as well wait for these:

http://clearcorners.com/products/nissan/350zx3/h_lamp4/

Lastly, has anyone switched out JUST the HID bulbs on their already HID equipped 350Z? If so, did it make a noticeable difference? Which one's should I go with? I've read that the D2S bulbs are brighter, but I'm not sure if they'll fit. I call Nissan, and of course they don't know **** about the headlights, so no luck there. I wish I knew more about this, like if the actual projector size matters more, or the HID bulbs??? I'm praying just the bulbs could make a nice difference, because they're only around $110, as opposed to $1295 for the whole headlight.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here's a pic of the '06 bi-xenon headlight. The projector is clearly bigger than on my '04, so I'm wondering how much sharper the beam pattern is, and/or how much brighter it is over my headlights. These are offered at PNP for $1295 a pair. I'm just wondering if the high beams through the HID will work plug n' play...? How does that work with only one HID bulb in each headlight??? I'd love to see a side by side nighttime comparison of the '04 headlights and '06 headlights, just to see if it would be worth spending all that money. Yeah, $1295 is a LOT of money, but to me it's worth it for a superior ligthing system... I'm sick of driving at night with HID's and still not being able to see the road lit up bright and clear.
http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...es/z3306oTW.jpg
Does anyone have pics of the '06 headlights at night?
If I'm gonna spend $1k+ on better headlights anyway, I might as well wait for these:

http://clearcorners.com/products/nissan/350zx3/h_lamp4/

Lastly, has anyone switched out JUST the HID bulbs on their already HID equipped 350Z? If so, did it make a noticeable difference? Which one's should I go with? I've read that the D2S bulbs are brighter, but I'm not sure if they'll fit. I call Nissan, and of course they don't know **** about the headlights, so no luck there. I wish I knew more about this, like if the actual projector size matters more, or the HID bulbs??? I'm praying just the bulbs could make a nice difference, because they're only around $110, as opposed to $1295 for the whole headlight.
you asked questions that require about 5 pages of text to fully cover, but I will do my best to sum things up.

The 04 models don't use a true projector. They use a reflector based housing for the most part, kind of a combo reflecotr/projector housing. As a result it uses a D2R which are a shielded capsule to provide proper beam pattern in a reflector based housing. This headlight uses the Xenon capsule for the low beam and incorporates a halogen bulb to fill in the upper spread for the high beam.

compare this to:

The 2006 headlights are true projectors. They use a D2S capsule that does not have he same shield on the capsule as the the D2R does. The projector is able to fully control the beam patern in this setup. The pojector uses a movable shield to provide a high and low beam from a single capsule source. Basically it cutst he upper beam off during low beam operation and lifts the sheild to provide the upper spread during high beam operation. One thing to note about this type of setup is that the beam pattern is much more uniform, without hot spots, but provides two circuler shaped beams under high beam operations.

IMO, it is not worth it to upgrade to the 06s. IMO, the light output is better than the previous setups, but not worth the hefty price tag. Also, the 1300 bucks might just be for the assemblies and may not include capusles or ballasts which will be extra on top.

To answere your question to swap in D2S for the D2R, you won't be able to this. The capsules have different bases. Also, as I stated, each builb was designed for a certain type housing and to swap bulbs would not give a proper beam patter. The shield on the D2R capsule is used to control the light output. The fact that the D2S capsule does not have it is the reason people say it is brighter. Which is not entirely false. The D2R as a straight capsule doesn't put on the lumens a D2S does because of the shielding, but once in place in the housings, the lumens are basiclly equal as the housing shields the light on the D2S capsule in the same way the D2R's shielding does.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I think the price tag is justified for the lights. It is on par with other OEM replacement parts. It does not mean that upgrading is for everyone, but I know that I am considering it.

On another note. The price includes the full assemblies which is the exact same price as for the 2003-2005 lights.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
you asked questions that require about 5 pages of text to fully cover, but I will do my best to sum things up.

The 04 models don't use a true projector. They use a reflector based housing for the most part, kind of a combo reflecotr/projector housing. As a result it uses a D2R which are a shielded capsule to provide proper beam pattern in a reflector based housing. This headlight uses the Xenon capsule for the low beam and incorporates a halogen bulb to fill in the upper spread for the high beam.

compare this to:

The 2006 headlights are true projectors. They use a D2S capsule that does not have he same shield on the capsule as the the D2R does. The projector is able to fully control the beam patern in this setup. The pojector uses a movable shield to provide a high and low beam from a single capsule source. Basically it cutst he upper beam off during low beam operation and lifts the sheild to provide the upper spread during high beam operation. One thing to note about this type of setup is that the beam pattern is much more uniform, without hot spots, but provides two circuler shaped beams under high beam operations.

IMO, it is not worth it to upgrade to the 06s. IMO, the light output is better than the previous setups, but not worth the hefty price tag. Also, the 1300 bucks might just be for the assemblies and may not include capusles or ballasts which will be extra on top.

To answere your question to swap in D2S for the D2R, you won't be able to this. The capsules have different bases. Also, as I stated, each builb was designed for a certain type housing and to swap bulbs would not give a proper beam patter. The shield on the D2R capsule is used to control the light output. The fact that the D2S capsule does not have it is the reason people say it is brighter. Which is not entirely false. The D2R as a straight capsule doesn't put on the lumens a D2S does because of the shielding, but once in place in the housings, the lumens are basiclly equal as the housing shields the light on the D2S capsule in the same way the D2R's shielding does.

Good read. Thanks! :yourock:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Also:

2003-2005
housings: $180 each
full assembly: $610 each

housings: no pricing available
full assembly: $610 each

It very well may be possible to swap just the housings and bulbs. However the dealer is going to try and sell you the $610 assembly over the the $180 housing.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Zivman I think you finally answered my long lost question.

But do you know if the 03-05 housings are the same regardless if it is a base or came with HID from the factory????

also later down the road can i buy the 06 housings and swap over the ballast to the new housing and just buy the bulbs??? just wondering if the ballast will still fit under the new headlight housing.

other wise if the 03-05 housings are the same regardless i will stick with what i have now which is a base model with the OEM ballast and bulbs.

Thanks in Advance.

Oh and by the way Toykilla I followed the howto on this forum on adjusting the lights, but it seems to point to high and blind people.

I followed my dad one night and he thought i had the high beams on and we both agreed it needed to be lower.

I did have the cut off on the trunk you stated in the how to but i think pointing it that high doesnt work for me.

I want to point them as far as possible but at the same time light up as much of the ground as possible but keep it well lit.

i think you said something about 8 feet away and getting the hotspot at 27.5"

i lowered it 2" today in hopes i find the sweet spot for me.

Do you have this problem???

and last question which is a dumb on but the bulbs have a rod on them and i wanted to know if they are supposed to point to the ground or face downward. this is how i have them set up now.

let me know

thanks.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
If the 2006 housings will work with the 2003-2005 ballasts, i think alot of people will buy them. I know I will. We need someone to confirm this.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If the 2006 housings will work with the 2003-2005 ballasts, i think alot of people will buy them. I know I will. We need someone to confirm this.

somebody call Jason @ performance nissan and he will know the specs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks zivman, you answered a lot of my questions! :clap:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as for the fitment and installation (IF you already have HID stock), I'm under the assumption that everything will be plug n' play - just take out the old headlights, install the new ones, and use the bulbs that come with the kit...right?

Straight from PNP's site:

This item includes:

-Two Complete Headlamp Assemblies
-All Bulbs
-Harness
-Everything needed for install.

These can be used on any 2003-2005 350Z Factory Equipped with HID.

Lastly, you didn't answer one quick question - will it be noticeably brighter than the '04 OEM HIDs? I'm definitely not rich or anything, but if it's really that noticeable of a difference, it might be worth the $1300 for the pair.

If anyone has the '06 bi-xenon's, I would greatly appreciate if you could just take some night pics of the beam pattern against a building/garage/house/anything, and on the road. Thanks!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I would like to know this also. I find my 2004 HID lamps to be near useless when it comes to lighting up the road. At night when there are no street lamps I have no choice but to use the hi-beams and that isnt very nice to oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm... does anyone know if these PIAA replacement HID bulbs would make a noticeable difference in light output, when compared to the stock HID bulbs? It'd be a lot cheaper than buying the bi-xenons. If it's even close to comparable it's worth it.
I just hope they're 4300k-5000k. IMO, that's the best color for HID's. They say it's the closest color to actual daylight - what could be better than that at night?! And of course, it's supposed to produce the most intense light output... so that's the way to go.

But if these are the same wattage and color temp as OEM, then how could they be any better?

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=4959

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hmmm... does anyone know if these PIAA replacement HID bulbs would make a noticeable difference in light output, when compared to the stock HID bulbs? It'd be a lot cheaper than buying the bi-xenons. If it's even close to comparable it's worth it.
I just hope they're 4300k-5000k. IMO, that's the best color for HID's. They say it's the closest color to actual daylight - what could be better than that at night?! And of course, it's supposed to produce the most intense light output... so that's the way to go.

But if these are the same wattage and color temp as OEM, then how could they be any better?

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=4959

The capsules that come with the car are the brightest xenon capsules you can buy. the PIAAs will not be brighter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The capsules that come with the car are the brightest xenon capsules you can buy. the PIAAs will not be brighter
Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

Do you have any idea where I could find some sort of comparison between the '04 HIDs and the '06 HID's? If it's a really noticeable difference, I might just spend the $1300 to see at night!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

Do you have any idea where I could find some sort of comparison between the '04 HIDs and the '06 HID's? If it's a really noticeable difference, I might just spend the $1300 to see at night!

Thanks again.

Run down to the dealership and take a look at them in person. the only way you can tell

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Run down to the dealership and take a look at them in person. the only way you can tell

Hey, that's actually a good idea... :thumbsup:

But they might act like assholes at the dealership when I ask if I can compare - once they realize they won't be making any money off of me, they'll probably brush me off...

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I would like to know this also. I find my 2004 HID lamps to be near useless when it comes to lighting up the road. At night when there are no street lamps I have no choice but to use the hi-beams and that isnt very nice to oncoming traffic.
+1...they suck. I raised mine to 26.5 hotspot from 8 feet...no flashes from on-coming traffic but I still can't see very far in front of the car. If anyone does this swap I'm very interested to hear how it works out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Me to.

Iv'e been trying to find the sweet spot and i think they need to be a tad bit higher. i lowered them 2" last night. but they could be brighter.

xenondepot.com has 3000k but it looks like they just put a yellow coat on them which is kinda lame.

I think I'm going to contact Jun Tanaka and ask him.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I was thinking about going to the dealer and taking a test drive in a 06 Z at night to see what the diference is.

You know there are a few maximas in my neighborhood with factory hid and they don't look any better than mine.

the 300m's that have factoy hid don't look any better either.

there is someone who did this swap i believe on this forum but cant remember who. they have a white Z and also bought the 06 rear tail lights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts