Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping somebody out there can help.

I've just purchased an '03 Z and brought it across in to Canada. To comply with Federal Regulation I need to install Day Time Running Lights.

Here's my problem, the shop I took my car to only has the wiring diagram for the Canadian models which are apparently slightly different than the US models. They did the install already but i think they screwed a few things up as it does not all work as it should.

Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

Devo

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think this should be pretty easy in principle. You need to wire the driving lights into a wire/fuse that is controlled by the ignition. In other words, if the ignition is on, so are the driving lights.

If I had to do this and make it reversable, I would first locate the positive wire coming out the back of the headlamp. I would cut the wire and label it accordingly for future reversal. I would then splice in a new wire and run it to either the under-hood fuse block or the in-car fuse block. I would then find a fuse that is controlled by the ignition and tap into it. Or, install a new fuse and wire it into an ignition-controlled power wire.

That should do it. The only side effect would be some funny action on the steering-wheel mounted switch. When you turn it one stop, nothing would happen because the lights are already on and the stock wire was cut. When you turn it one more stop, the headlights would come on of course.

Sorry I cannot offer more details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In theory, it should be pretty simple. However, I think they ran into a few problems since all the wires aren't easily identifiable without a diagram.

I just know that a wiring diagram will greatly simplify the process.

THanks for the help though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dgstanski,
how did you come out on this?
Ed

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wiring diagrams for both US and Canadian models are in the Service Manual. I believe one can be downloaded from this site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the wiring daigram for the 2003 US/Canadian Spec with Xenon headlamps.

Does anyone know if the 2006 models are wired the same??

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think this should be pretty easy in principle. You need to wire the driving lights into a wire/fuse that is controlled by the ignition. In other words, if the ignition is on, so are the driving lights.
It's not quite that simple. DRLs normally use the high beam at half power, and they revery to normal headlights when the light switch is turned on.

Does anyone know if the 2006 models are wired the same??
For 2006, Nissan added Bi-xenon headlamps. The same xenon lamp is used for high and low beams. The lamp simply rotates up slightly when high beam is selected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's not quite that simple. DRLs normally use the high beam at half power, and they revery to normal headlights when the light switch is turned on.
For 2006, Nissan added Bi-xenon headlamps. The same xenon lamp is used for high and low beams. The lamp simply rotates up slightly when high beam is selected.
Ok...here is what I found out by going through the shop manuals:

2003-2005 models do indeed use the high beam at half power -- this is achieved by switching the lamp circuit from parallel to series resulting in a voltage split 50:50 between the two hi-beam lamps. A number of inputs are required to trigger this: engine running, parking brake released, positon of lighting column switch, etc.
Canadian models have a DRL module installed in the battery compartment -- this module basically is a relay. It should be noted that this is not a simple plug-n-play conversion and requires some expertise in reading and interpreting electrical circuits.

The 2006 model is greatly simplified. The DRL circuit uses the parking lights instead of the hi-beams. The reason for this is to avoid having the Xenon bulbs on continuously and shortening their life. The DRL module is a simple relay which turns on the parking light circuit based on an input from the BCM. This can be further simplified by finding a fuse output that is live (12V) when the engine is on and wirng it to the relay.

Let me know if you'd like circuit diagram for either configuration (model year).

·
Registered
6 Posts

2003-2005 models do indeed use the high beam at half power -- this is achieved by switching the lamp circuit from parallel to series resulting in a voltage split 50:50 between the two hi-beam lamps. A number of inputs are required to trigger this: engine running, parking brake released, positon of lighting column switch, etc.
Canadian models have a DRL module installed in the battery compartment -- this module basically is a relay. It should be noted that this is not a simple plug-n-play conversion and requires some expertise in reading and interpreting electrical circuits.

The 2006 model is greatly simplified. The DRL circuit uses the parking lights instead of the hi-beams. The reason for this is to avoid having the Xenon bulbs on continuously and shortening their life. The DRL module is a simple relay which turns on the parking light circuit based on an input from the BCM. This can be further simplified by finding a fuse output that is live (12V) when the engine is on and wirng it to the relay.

Let me know if you'd like circuit diagram for either configuration (model year).
Wow you have done your homework. I would love to get a copy of that wiring diagram for my 2004 350Z. Just getting ready to import it from the States and I am trying to get my "ducks in a row". These DRL's sound a little more complicated that I had anticipated.

Thx,
Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, would it be possible to get the wiring diagram and instructions on how to do this for the 2007? Should be the same lights as the 2006.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, would it be possible to get the wiring diagram and instructions on how to do this for the 2007? Should be the same lights as the 2006.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

I also need one for a 2007 350z, I just bought one out of the states also and I need to install DRL's for it to pass inspection in Canada

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to thread-jack or wake up an old thread, but I'm in need of installing DRL on my 2006 Z. I've searched all over the forums and had no luck finding a actual solution. I've looked at much of the service manual and have some ideas, but not totally sure what the easiest method will be to perform the DRL addition.

Has anyone on here done the work themselves that has a relatively easy solution? Or did you guys all give in to paying $350 to the stealership to do the work?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hate to thread-jack or wake up an old thread, but I'm in need of installing DRL on my 2006 Z. I've searched all over the forums and had no luck finding a actual solution. I've looked at much of the service manual and have some ideas, but not totally sure what the easiest method will be to perform the DRL addition.

Has anyone on here done the work themselves that has a relatively easy solution? Or did you guys all give in to paying $350 to the stealership to do the work?

Thanks
I just got an '07 here and i'm in the middle of trying to install DRL's. All i need is to know what color the parking light wire is in the driver side kick panel and i'll be all set, if anyone has any idea please let me know!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts