Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I just bought a 03 tt 6spd Z with 82k miles. Pretty much stole the car from a dealer they had no idea what they had. The car has some serious mods like the greddy tt kit with turbosmart wastegates and bov, AP racing front and rear big brakes, and im almost certain it has a built block as I can see somewhat fresh silicone on the upper oil pan and the timing cover. I know that just means its been apart but I cant think of a reason why the engine in a tt car would have been completely apart without at least putting rods and pistons in. What should compression psi be like with a built low compression block? Also the car runs great and pulls hard. No boost gauge or a/f gauge and I cant find what it was tuned with... the factory ECU is bolted in the factory location and I took apart most of the plastic in the car looking for an emanage or haltech and found nothing. What could this car be tuned with...? EPROM? COBB? It also has factory exhaust merged with the tt kit this will be upgraded for sure. Not sure what size injectors... but I want to add a boost controller race gas and put it on the dyno and turn it up. But I want to make for **** sure the block is built before it gets turned up so the oil pan will be coming off and a compression test done. Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome- that's a lot of questions for a first post. While I have a '03 Z myself, it's not FI, but I've seen plenty of examples. First thing is: don't be surprised if it's still being run on a stock short block. Plenty of FI owners have fun with their Zs until the death rattle shows up and then they sell 'em cheap and quick. How much did you say you bought your car for?

Fresh silicone on the upper pan and timing cover may mean they just checked or repaired a timing component, water pump, etc. and buttoned it back up. As for tuning, do a little research on UpRev, as they are the best Nissan tuning software firm around and tune to the factory ECM itself. But you're right to be skeptical about the pistons and rods- I wouldn't push it until you at least know what you've got!Maybe a compression check and a UOA at a minimum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I have a lot of questions about this car haha most of which I can answer myself by doing a little work. I worked at a local performance shop almost 10 years ago and we did a lot of specific z33 work. I installed a few turbo kits, blower kits, built a custom 1 off cog drive kit for a blower, and built a few engines myself. But its been a while since I've been under the hood of these cars and im not really familiar with the performance options anymore. I picked the car up for 8k which I felt was an incredible deal beings it has around 20-25k in upgrades. Plus its low miles clean title and everything works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also it came from a dealer and not private party...this is where the questions inly.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Also it came from a dealer and not private party...this is where the questions inly.
...and no service or upgrade history- this is why it's a dicey deal. But the majority of development work on the Z33 was done almost a decade ago, so you should still have a good grasp of what's available. The problem is you don't have an easy way to figure out what's in your shortblock. I'd say the odds are 50/50 that it's still on the stock internals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it turns out the car has crower rods for sure! Don't know what pistons but since the rods are upgraded the pistons surely are as well. I was pretty happy to find that! I pulled the pan off and took a looksy. Scheduled dyno time for 2 weeks from now. Adding Invidia Gemini exhaust, AAM fuel return psi rail setup, turbosmart electronic boost controller and race gas. Will be tuning with UpRev. Im probably going to push the turbo kit to the max! well see where I run out of injector ( don't know injector size yet... FIC injectors) I'd like to see 650whp but ill post results when I get it off the dyno.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well good and bad news. The car ran great on the dyno made 513 whp at 12 lbs of boost on a mustang dyno ( I would post pics of the dyno sheet but I have no idea how haha). Then the clutch started slipping... I now have a tilton twin disc that is ready for installation. Also did a few more upgrades: aem widebands in each bank, aem boost controller/gauge, DC sports exhaust ( decided to go with this over the invidia sounds amazing and was only $565 from summit), hotchkis springs and sway bars, AAM fuel return kit, oil catch can, oil cooler, ecm brake signal switch for burnouts, and some other maintenance items all installed by me.
I've gotta say this car is super fun at 500+. My straight line has a sideways problem tho so dr's are next haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts