Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums - View Single Post - For anybody that wants to import a vehicle,
View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
smoothz's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Behind the steering wheel
Posts: 35,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
On the issue of the EPA form 3520-1 and importing cars, there are several sections that you can check off.

EPA exempted vehicles use code M (Canadian) or E (21 years or older).

Excluded vehicles use code L (racing vehicle) but an EPA letter of approval must be attached, and code W (non chassis mounted engine) which still needs an EPA certificate (probably to show that it meets emmissions).

Temporary Imports use code G (imported for repair or alteration) which requires a Customs bond that covers at least the full value, and code K (imported for display) which also needs a bond.

Some of these codes are explicit in the fact that you cannot register the car for usage on public roads.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
smoothz is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome