User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for your post Ronin.

It's important to remember that just because something is "organic" it's not necessarily safe to put it into your body. I'm not about to start smoking organic cigarettes.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrm350 View Post
Thanks for your post Ronin.

It's important to remember that just because something is "organic" it's not necessarily safe to put it into your body. I'm not about to start smoking organic cigarettes.
No prob. I have no beef with the organic movement other than it's name. From a scientific standpoint the name makes no sense. In chemistry "organic" is any molecule that contains carbon. Since on Earth, all living matter contains carbon, ALL food is organic. Neither does the phrase "Natural". People equate "natural" with "safe". Fugu (Japanese blowfish) will quite naturally kill your ass if not prepared properly.

Now if they had made an official "No Pesticide" or "Reduced Pesticide" standard, that would make more sense. It would give the consumer a clearer idea of what they were buying.

Also, I think a lot of the fear that is spread about any number of products is due mostly to people not understanding the way things work. Here's an example:

I open up "Ronin's Edible Delectable Fruits & Vegetables" and I put out a sign selling "Slightly Radioactive Bananas", "Tasty Toxic Potatoes" and "Fatal Fungal Infected Avocados"... I wouldn't sell a thing. I'd be closed within a week. Yet people happily buy, consume and enjoy these very same products every day*.

-Ronin Z

*Bananas naturally contain quantities of a radioactive potassium isotope. Potatoes do indeed contain a nerve toxin. But you'd have a lot of trouble consuming a fatal dosage in one sitting. And many avocados are infected with a fungus that is quite fatal to many animals, but our immune system just shrugs it off. That's why you're not supposed to let your dogs chew on avocado pits, because the fungus is fatal to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Performance Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sad that I don't have my banana tree anymore.. Gotta make sure to stay away from Ronin's radioactive banana's

Does organic food taste better or worse? Snake oil has me confused.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanabe350z View Post
Does organic food taste better or worse?
Yes. No. Maybe.

If the produce is grown locally and allowed to ripen in the field, and delivered to market in a ripe (or nearly ripe) state, it will taste different than produce that was picked under-ripened and spent a week traveling across country.
I say it will taste "different" because "better" is subjective.

There is a noticeable flavor difference between grass fed beef and grain fed beef, but which actually tastes "better" is up to individual taste.

-RZ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post
There is a noticeable flavor difference between grass fed beef and grain fed beef, but which actually tastes "better" is up to individual taste.

-RZ
Yup. Some of my friends don't care the taste of grass fed beef. It tends to cook faster does not have the marbling that we've become accoustomed to with grain fed beef. I like the taste while some find it 'gamey'.

I doubt I would have ever tried grass fed beef had I not watched a few documentaries on TV that showed in graphic detail the negative side of commerical feedlots. I understand that there are 7 billion people to feed and these huge scale processing plants keep the cost of food affordable.

Howewver, I'm choosing to support the alternatives in this instance.

Numero huit ...from Terry Gilliams movie Brazil. The future for food?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRAZILDISC1-106_resize.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	45976  

5AT '04 TOURING SE GA USA
August '07 Dyno at Forged Performance 398WHP / 380TQ @ 8.5psi

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Grand Touring Member

Intuitively to me (never seen any proof), it seems like we can't feed everyone on the planet through low yield (read inefficient) "organic" pesticide free farming. It sounds great in theory but it's a disgusting luxury to have when half the world is starving. It's a "limousine liberal" sort of thing for me....

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Performance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShep View Post
watched a few documentaries on TV that showed in graphic detail the negative side of commerical feedlots.
*Barf* I remember chickens with missing body parts and mutated looking cows because they were so cramped up. They did that to the cows so they wouldn't get any exercise, the meat stay's more tender. Sad thing to watch. I think if more people watched that video they wouldn't eat so much fast food.

Graphic | PETA.org

Meet your meat! Warning!! You might not want to see this after you eat.

Last edited by tanabe350z; 05-26-2011 at 03:32 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Intuitively to me (never seen any proof), it seems like we can't feed everyone on the planet through low yield (read inefficient) "organic" pesticide free farming. It sounds great in theory but it's a disgusting luxury to have when half the world is starving. It's a "limousine liberal" sort of thing for me....
The funny thing about intuition is that it's not always right. There have been many studies comparing crop yields of organic vs. traditional growing methods. And what those studies show is that it depends on the specific crop in question. When switching to organic, some crops see higher yields, some lower, and some crops it makes no difference.

As far as the whole "feeding the poor starvin' chillins" bit goes, many current traditional farming methods are simply not environmentally sustainable in the long term. Meaning that even if organic farming reduces yield, it at least has long term sustainability.

Quote:
It's a "limousine liberal" sort of thing for me....
You need to lighten up man. Not everything is political. If you're this conservative in your 20's... you're headed straight for cranky "you-damn-kids-stay-off-my-lawn" territory before you hit 50.

-RZ

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post
You need to lighten up man. Not everything is political. If you're this conservative in your 20's... you're headed straight for cranky "you-damn-kids-stay-off-my-lawn" territory before you hit 50.

-RZ
Pfff, I was responsible for the lawn care when I was in my early teens. I started yellin' at the damn neighbor kids to stay off the lawn yearsss ago!

edit: Not joking in the least.

275WHP/245WTQ
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Pfff, I was responsible for the lawn care when I was in my early teens. I started yellin' at the damn neighbor kids to stay off the lawn yearsss ago!

edit: Not joking in the least.
Yeah.. not surprised in the least.

-RZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement