User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah....that would suck.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VS cable channel is broadcasting excellent HD coverage of the TDF. US team Garmin-Cervelo is looking very good in the early stages.

Contador is damn near two minutes behind after three stages...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...-happened.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WRAP: Tyler Farrar won stage three of the Tour de France after Garmin-Cervelo's American sprinter took advantage of Mark Cavendish's misfortune in the closing kilometre of the 198-kilometre stage from Olonne-sur-Mer to Redon.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

TDF is just not the same without Armstrong.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothz View Post
TDF is just not the same without Armstrong.
I like the addition of mid-stage sprints. The team sprinters are not interested in winning the overall. They use team tactics and brute force if necessary to win individual stages and now, mid-stage "quickie" sprints for points. The guys are madmen going full tilt at 50+mph.

Cavendish is wicked fast.

Armstrong never got caught doping and I doubt he'll admit that he did.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't they prove that his heart was larger than normal and could pump more blood volume, hence his stamina owned everyone else's?

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothz View Post
Didn't they prove that his heart was larger than normal and could pump more blood volume, hence his stamina owned everyone else's?

Quote:
Lance has a large heart compared to regular couch potatoes, but not compared to other pro cyclists. whenever you read about how exceptional LA is they are always comparing him to regular joe on the street, not his competition.

Lance's VO2max is not even particularly high for a pro cyclist.. he's pretty much average for a pro cyclist @ 83. e.g. Greg LeMond (92.5 - highest ever recorded for a cyclist) and Ullrich (85), Miguel Indurain (88) had higher VO2maxs than Armstrong.. 80-83 is pretty run of the mill for a pro cyclist... it's just that it's exceptional when you compare to the general population.. but he's not competing against the general population
from bike forums
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Grand Touring Member

doping... YES!!!!! I loved all the great doping scandels with pro athletes in track and field I don't think freezing a pint of blood and putting it back into your body at a later time and date should be illegal.. it's YOUR blood

That was a great 5 years with the Z. Moved on to better mpg and regular unleaded.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

True, I agree about the red blood cell replacement issue. I don't know the technical term for it, but after giving blood not too long ago, I understand how it can benefit the human body. I still think it's silly for a governing body that really doesn't have much authority to ban someone for cleaning their system out.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Grand Touring Member

Blood doping is dangerous stuff. Some pro cyclists, runners and other athelets died from complications associated witht the practice....causes cerebral blot clots among other things.

Some cyclists would train at high altitude for weeks, remove a volume of blood, store it for three weeks, then tranfuse it back at sea level. Thus increasing the amount of oxygen in their blood.
Quote:
The term blood doping originally meant doping with blood, i.e. the transfusion of RBCs. RBCs are uniquely suited to this process because they can be concentrated, frozen and later thawed with little loss of viability or activity. There are two possible types of transfusion: homologous and autologous. In a homologous transfusion, RBCs from a compatible donor are harvested, concentrated and then transfused into the athlete’s circulation prior to endurance competitions. In an autologous transfusion, the athlete's own RBCs are harvested well in advance of competition and then re-introduced before a critical event. For some time after the harvesting the athlete may be anemic.
Both types of transfusion can be dangerous because of the risk of infection and the potential toxicity of improperly stored blood. Homologous transfusions present the additional risks of communication of infectious diseases and the possibility of a transfusion reaction. From a logistical standpoint, either type of transfusion requires the athlete to surreptitiously transport frozen RBCs, thaw and re-infuse them in a non-clinical setting and then dispose of the medical paraphernalia.
In the late 1980s, an advance in medicine led to an entirely new form of blood doping involving the hormone erythropoietin (EPO). EPO is a naturally-occurring hormone growth factor that stimulates the formation of RBCs. Recombinant DNA technology made it possible to produce EPO economically on a large scale and it was approved in US and Europe as a pharmaceutical product for the treatment of anemia resulting from renal failure or cancer chemotherapy. Easily injected under the skin, pharmaceutical EPO can boost hematocrit for six to twenty four weeks, or longer. The use of EPO is now believed by many to be widespread in endurance sports.[citation needed]
EPO is not free of health hazards: Excessive use of the hormone can raise hematocrit above 70% which can cause polycythemia, a condition wherein the level of RBCs in the blood is abnormally high. This causes the blood to be more viscous than normal, a condition that strains the heart. Some elite athletes who died of heart failure — usually during sleep, when heart rate is naturally low—were found to have unnaturally high RBC concentrations in their blood.[1]
There is a new, reliable test for synthetic EPO that should weed out most cheaters.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Grand Touring Member

M. Cavendish wins stage 5 of the TDF.

Cavendish out sprinted Gilbert at the line. Gilbert said later that he could not shift from his 12 tooth to his 11 tooth cog and that is what cost him the stage win.

Nasty, wet day on narrow roads meant lots of crashes, flats and mechanical failures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement