Abdominals - what do you do to get a 6 pack? - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jetpilot718
Quote:
I think they remember me doing that sit up study all those years back, because I did 80 sit ups one night, and I'm not aching the next day! GOOOOO MUSCLES!

See thats the thing. When I first started this little program I've got goin, the next morning and day it hurt like hell. It was nice. Now, I don't get the burnt feeling the next day. I wonder if I need to be doing more than 100 in a set to make more progress?? I'm not trying to get huge or anything..

Basically I just workout to offset the drinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via MSN to ambigu0us
Quote:
See thats the thing. When I first started this little program I've got goin, the next morning and day it hurt like hell. It was nice. Now, I don't get the burnt feeling the next day. I wonder if I need to be doing more than 100 in a set to make more progress?? I'm not trying to get huge or anything..
Maybe you need to add weight?
Do the sideways crunches for obliques?
Use those stretchy tubes for resistance? I use those for my obliques with the trainer (that would be small to pack in a bag for those hotel stays)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life | Enjoying the Raptor and the 370Z.

Check out my new blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 AM
kdm

Get an excersize ball, you won't regret it... do some crunches on it, some leg lifts, etc.

Quote:
There are many exercises which train the abdominals, this muscle group contains many slow twitch muscle fibres and training depends on the purpose of the training program. For example, if one was losing fat on their belly they would train their abs three times per week with resistance allowing adequate time for recovery.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 AM
kdm

I like to do those twisted crunches on the excersize ball and then do those "v-ups" on a mat, some hanging leg lifts, and bicycle crunches on the mat again

Hanging leg lifts are hard, I can do only 5 at a time right now hahahaha
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Grand Touring Member

i always tried to work my abs while doing chest flys and shoulder presses... lay/sit on a swiss ball while doing those.. you have to work hard to stabilize yourself.. other than that the only REAL ab excercise i ever did was crunches and I didn't really do very many... your abs work all day anyways to stabilize your body.. eating right is really the key like someone already said.. i need to get back in the gym again and gain a few lbs

That was a great 5 years with the Z. Moved on to better mpg and regular unleaded.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Something new that we've been doing in the 'group power' class that I take is "hovering". I freaking HATE it b/c it hurts but you can really feel your abs working. Here are two different examples.

HOVER
[Firms shoulders, arms, abs, and back]

Begin in push-up position on toes with arms straight, hands below shoulders, and body in line from head to heels. On an exhale, lower chest toward floor, bending elbows back, arms close to body, abs tight. Hold a few inches above floor.

Make it harder

While holding the hover, lift left leg 6 to 12 inches, pause, and lower. Do 3 to 5 times, then switch legs

Make it easier

Begin on hands and knees and walk hands forward until body is in line from head to knees.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
___

Plank (Hover) Exercise

* Start in the plank position (see photo 1) with your forearms and toes on the floor.
* Keep your torso straight and rigid and your body in a straight line from ears to toes with no sagging or bending.
* Your head is relaxed and you should be looking at the floor.
* Hold this position for 10 seconds to start.
* Over time work up to 30, 45 or 60 seconds.

Plank with Leg Lift
Start in the same plank position (photo 1) as above with your forearms and toes on the floor.

* Keep your leg straight with your toe flexed.
* Slowly raise one leg 5-8 inches off the floor (photo 2)
* Hold 1-2 seconds and slowly to the floor.
* Switch legs and repeat.
* Do about 2-3 sets of 10 reps.

Plank with Arm Lift

* Start in the same plank position (photo 1) as above.
* Carefully shift your weight to your right forearm.
* Extend your left arm straight out in front of you.
* Hold 3 seconds while keeping your core tight.
* Slowly bring your arm back to starting position.
* Switch arms and repeat.
* Do 2-3 sets of 10 reps.

Modified Plank with Leg Lift
To make this exercise a bit easier, you can perform the movement on your hands, rather than your elbows.

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I've just been doing a set of 100 situps every 2 or 3 days. Some of the other stuff posted is helpful cause I do these mostly in hotels, and some don't have gyms (or free gyms) so I'd rather not need machines or weights. The stuff you can do without them, like situps, crunches, pushups and jumping jacks (though those probably don't do much but make you look like Richard Simmons) are what I prefer.

After about a month of this I got back the six-pack that I had when I was playing hockey in college. They build up fast, you just HAVE to be diciplined. And I hate working out.
Some other things to try in your hotel room: Burpees (don't ask), Korean jumping jacks, stretching from head to toe (good sweat if you do it right), and standing leaps onto a chair (try 15 the first try and tell me you didn't run out of breath).

Quote:
Get an excersize ball, you won't regret it... do some crunches on it, some leg lifts, etc.
I remember doing a routine with a medicine ball where I sat with my back to the wall but not touching, legs straight out in front of me, then swiveling back and forth holding up the ball and touching the wall above the shoulder. Do those for about a minute a set.

Quote:
I like to do those twisted crunches on the excersize ball and then do those "v-ups" on a mat, some hanging leg lifts, and bicycle crunches on the mat again

Hanging leg lifts are hard, I can do only 5 at a time right now hahahaha
Hanging leg lifts are cool AND hard. Do you do them with the legs at a 90º angle? I can only do 6.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 PM
kdm

Quote:
Hanging leg lifts are cool AND hard. Do you do them with the legs at a 90º angle? I can only do 6.
yup sure do !

try doing them to the side too, with your knees bent
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM

Honestly, if you don't have defined shoulders, chest, bi's and tri's (etc)...you won't have a ripped 6-pack. It's just the way it is...diet, exercising and lifestyle are the key ingredients to a ripped body...you can't be "moderately" in-shape and expect any definition on any part of your body...especially your abs...it is, what it is...there's no way around it.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Grand Touring Member

For me the abs are always the last thing to show. I am literally right on the verge of showing a 6 pack. I think during my next prime phase I will be able to acheive it. We'll see. I would say I've already dropped a fair amount of width from my stomach in the past two months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement