Exercise gurus, post here with questions, answers, etc - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I did a search, and nothing definitive came up. So here we are. I know many of us go to the gym or have an exercise regimen that keeps us young at heart and feeling pretty good about ourselves.

I'd like to think that I always have the potential for more or even the motivation to try something different but not drastic. For the most part, I'm happy with what I have. It doesn't take much for me to get back into shape or define my body if I get out of it for whatever reason (injury, work, family, etc).

Honestly, I feel like certain parts of my body are beginning to feel their age or something. My right shoulder or deltoid area has been bothering me for over a year. The pain comes and goes and varies in degrees. It used to be bad, but now it's only intermittent. I wonder if it's a pinched nerve, a pulled muscle, something deeper in the joint, or what. Also, since I started working out on my own and getting more serious a couple of years ago, I have noticed that my left elbox on the inside hurts like a mofo when doing certain lifting exercises like benching. What could that be?

I'm an active person that likes to do physical things such as biking, jogging, heavy yardwork, lifting, stretching, softball, basketball, etc. It's been years since I've been in any dojo for my personal benefit, but someday I'll get into that again. However, no matter how active I think I am, I feel there is always more for me to learn or do.

I'm liking the fact that I am building my own personal gym. I have limited space, but it's enough to do some basic stuff. I wish there was room for a pullup bar or something. I'd like to get into a routine for working on my lats. Any home remedy suggestions for that?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy 12 oz. weights...24 at a time.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
What's funny but sad is that there's a person I know at work who is always worried about her appearance and how people perceive her. She's as fake as they come, thin and scary, and she tells people that she needs to lose more weight. She's mental. I don't think she exercises because she's flabby skinny. She actually starves herself, then considers it a treat to eat junk food the next day. If only she knew what she was really doing to herself....

Of course, she deserves it. Karma has a way with irony....

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to harshfury
I think it's more a matter of motivation than the equipment you have access to.
I go to a local 24-hour fitness and I work out lightly and do lots of cardio. But it gets really boring, just me and my ipod.

...but, for example, two days a week (at work) I go running with a co-worker right when we get off. Then I lift weights with another co-worker as soon as he gets off, about an hour later. Then we usually take a little break, grab a quick snack, and go play pick-up basketball for 45 minutes or an hour. By the end of the day I am so tired and worn out...but I'm having fun the whole time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
...but, for example, two days a week (at work) I go running with a co-worker right when we get off. Then I lift weights with another co-worker as soon as he gets off, about an hour later. Then we usually take a little break, grab a quick snack, and go play pick-up basketball for 45 minutes or an hour. By the end of the day I am so tired and worn out...but I'm having fun the whole time.
Now that's what I call a well rounded workout, which is what I like.

Where do you live? I might have to move there....lol

Seriously, I need a workout partner who shares the same enthusiasm and motivation to go to the max. I'm surrounded by people with lives. There is one guy who's new and is a fitness freak, so I might have to hit him up and see how it goes.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:19 AM

getting older sucks, doesn't it? I've always been active, too, and it seems lately I can't do anything without pulling or straining something. I play tennis monday, wednesday and friday. I lift tuesday and thursday. When I was 22, I was into body building big itme. I loved lifting. Went 4-6 days a week, 2-3 hours each time at Gold's Gym. Now, I really don't like to lift. I only do it because I feel I have to so I can be competative on the court.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm at about 80 miles a week right now, but will build into over 100 once we get a little deeper into cross season...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I'm at about 80 miles a week right now, but will build into over 100 once we get a little deeper into cross season...
I'd go numb....

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd go numb....
happens to the best of us

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I feel like certain parts of my body are beginning to feel their age or something. My right shoulder or deltoid area has been bothering me for over a year. The pain comes and goes and varies in degrees. It used to be bad, but now it's only intermittent. I wonder if it's a pinched nerve, a pulled muscle, something deeper in the joint, or what. Also, since I started working out on my own and getting more serious a couple of years ago, I have noticed that my left elbox on the inside hurts like a mofo when doing certain lifting exercises like benching. What could that be?
I would like to preface this first by saying that I enjoy reading everyone's expertise on the Z (I have become signifcantly more knowledgeable in the last year) and that this is a topic that I might have some insight into because I am a Physical Therapist.

Now since I can't take a look at your shoulder and complete a thorough exam, I'm going to make a couple guesses and give you some generic ideas:

Regarding your shoulder, it all starts with posture. You want to try and eliminate "rounded" shoulders a.k.a. slumping (it starts in the low back and can affect everything on up. To aid your posture you can try to work your back muscles a little more than your chest muscles (most people overwork their chest and neglect the back, think: bench press). Try to do shoulder blade squeezes with resistance, 3 sets of 10 for all.

If there's any instability (which is somewhat common) you're going to want to work your rotator cuff muscles with some internal/external rotation exercises. So if you are left sidelying on a bench with your upper arm at your side and elbow bent to 90 degrees, rotate your shoulder towards the ceiling for right shoulder external rotation. Left sidelying and rotate up for internal rotation. Light weights to start with. Do both shoulders for symmetry/injury prevention.

Other good exercises for shoulder instability inlcude a placing a ball on a wall and making small circles with your right hand, the more weight you put through the arm on the wall, the harder it is. Try for 30x each direction.

As for your elbow, medial or inner elbow pain is often found to be "Golfer's elbow" or a tendonitis of the flexor tendons of the forearm. With any tendonitis you want to RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). When the inflammatory stage is complete try gentle wrist curls to get the tendon back into the swing of things. All exercises should be painfree with a tendonitis.

Actually, all of the exercises should be painfree.

Based on what limited information I have that's some pretty general advice, but feel free to give it a try. If you have a local Physical Therapist, I would recommend you search him/her out for more particulars so you can get healed up as quicklyu as possible.

Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk. (covering my ass)

Let me know if any of that helps/doesn't help or if you/anyone needs any quick advice.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement