20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, these early season races in Colorado have a way of springing some surprises. A series of winter storms are tumbling across the state, bringing 8-16" of wet, slushy snow to the metro area and highways east. Here's my tow rig this morning, all prepped and ready to head out this afternoon:

Gotta love the PURE GLAMOUR of racing in the Rockies! At least the Z-car is clean and dry in the trailer for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just love those Enkei wheels
post #33 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure350zgt View Post
I just love those Enkei wheels
Thanks! But do you mean the Enkei Raijins (BBS lookalike) or the RPF-1? Both are well made, good lookin' and performing wheels. I also have some Enkei PF01 that have enough offset for good caliper clearance.

Also, this weekend's (4/30-5/1/16) SCCA races were cancelled due to the snow. They'll be delayed until next weekend.

post #34 of 132 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post

This Z was built to compete in the SCCA Touring racing classes, and has the distinction of winning in three different Touring categories: T2 (2008-2012), T3 (2013-2015) and T1 (2015). Most of the mods are concentrated in the suspension, with Koni DA shocks, Eibach springs and fully adjustable swaybars. Enkei wheels and BFGoodrich R1-S tires provide the stick, while Cobalt Friction XR2 pads provide stopping power.

For 2015, we had success in winning the Rocky Mountain Division Championship in both Touring 1 and Touring 3. Traveling to Road Atlanta, the Z has won back-to-back Touring 3 titles the past two years in the American Road Race of Champions (ARRC).

There's still plenty of SERIOUS fun to be had with the Z33!
She's beautiful
post #35 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! It's hard to keep the race Z looking good, but it's a priority for me. It was repainted (AX6-redline) last year, with new graphics applied after eight hard seasons of road racing. Right now, it's safe and dry in the 24' enclosed trailer behind my Titan, but we'll be getting it out next weekend and starting the process all over again.
post #36 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
The latest news from the SCCA comp board is the 350Z will get additional restrictions in Touring 3 as of 6/1/16. The restrictions are double edged and include the use of twin 40 mm intake restrictors on the VQ35HR (restricts airflow and cuts top end power considerably) together with limiting tire size (275 section width down two sizes to a 245 limits braking and cornering potential). The rationale is an effort to equalize competition with four cylinder cars like the MX-5 and FWD sport coupes in T3. So for those who wonder which is faster, a new 2016 MX5 or an eight year old Nissan 350Z, well, there's your answer!

While these mid-season rule changes are frustrating, I'm NOT giving up! I accept the challenge of fighting with both hands tied behind my back and will test the water with these new T3 restrictions, while proudly representing Nissan in 2016.
post #37 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Our opening SCCA race was this weekend and what a wild one it was! First race the Z ran well, but holy cow were there a lot of $$$ fast cars in other classes to contend with. Factory built racecars like the Porsche 911 GT3, and BMW M235iR were seen up close (until they pulled away) and were my biggest competition even though they were in other classes. The second race was more eventful, as for the first time, I failed to completely latch my window net mechanism. After three laps, it came down in a fast corner and fell into my lap! Not much to do--once it was called in by a corner crew, I'd get black flagged anyway--I elected to make a quick pitstop and get it put back into place. Falling to last place in the race, the Z worked it's way back up though the ranks before the checkered flag fell.

So, a somewhat auspicious start to the 2016 season, but ECM and ABS codes were popping up, there's a leak somewhere in the CSC and (judging from tire wear) my wheel alignment is out. Lots of work to do before making the long tow to St. Louis this next weekend. The SCCA Majors race on a roval is next up, followed by another SCCA Majors at Pueblo Motorsports Park mean it's a very busy month!
post #38 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Back on the road again. Heading to St. Louis to compete in the SCCA Majors race at Gateway International, which is an ultra quick 1.65-mile roadcourse which uses part of the banked oval.

Last edited by dkmura; 05-16-2016 at 10:04 AM.
post #39 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quick update from the Circuit of St. Louis (formerly Gateway International): the Titan is heading back to my home in Colorado filled with Majors checkered flags and first place trophies! Two wins to start out the Majors season is the good news, but the bad is my single inlet magnaflow muffler was pushed so far to the right by centrifugal forces in the banked turns, it melted the rear bumper! Also ran over some track debris that badly damaged one of my sideskirts, so the Z will need some work before the next race.

Still over 700 miles to get back home...
post #40 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Back home finally, and one more story to share. With lot of different classes racing in the same race, I found myself dicing with a GT3 Miata for most of the first race on Saturday. Z. Before anyone thinks I was beating up on a smaller car, the GT classes remove most restrictions, and a fully built race engine with high compression domed pistons, high lift cams, a built shortblack and more are allowed in a car highly modified for racing. Beyond that, the 1.65-mile roval circuit at St. Louis really suits a small, lightweight race car like the Miata.

From the start, my Mazda pilot had Hoosier race slicks which "came in" quickly and closed up. I could see him in my mirrors, looking for a way by. By the time we hit the banked turns, he could pull out of my (considerable) draft and try pulling ahead down the straightaway to T1. Lap after lap, the Z would scream down that section as I upshifted to fifth. He nearly pulled alongside and would have had inside position for the pass, except for the last 100 yards or so. To give you some idea of what that first turn is like (reminds me of the now defunct road course at Phoenix International), you set the car with a light brake, heel/toe rev match to fourth gear and stand on the gas as you turn in!

This lasts only an instant as you accelerate through the first third of the corner before using hard, threshold braking at the outside of the corner, while a second shift to third gear gets you in position to take a late apex off the turn and a clean launch down the next chute. It's great fun, and really shows off both the power of the VQ and the stability of the FM chassis on that critical section. Joking with the Miata's pilot after the race, he said the pass was made up 'till we hit that last section, when the Z pulled ahead. His Miata weighs more than a thousand pounds less than my SCCA-mandated 3,450#, and illustrates why light sports cars will always have a place in the sportscar market. But weight aside...give me the Z every time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement