11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #121 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Second place again in the wet, but it's clear the Z was more fun to drive in T1 trim. As expected, the Z06 had less of an advantage on a damp track, but top end gave it a decided edge (150 vs. 130 MPH) going into the turn one passing zone. Still, the fact that the Z still finished only 20 seconds back after a 40 minute race was notable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Reading the most recent posts to this forum, I think the alternate title to this thread should be: "Do you like racing?" After all, this is an automotive forum dedicated to 350Z owners and the 350Z has a long and successful racing heritage. The second race of 2019 is the Rocky Mountain Division SCCA opener at LaJunta called The Ice Breaker. This is a short 1.3-mile airport circuit that takes about a minute to lap seven turns in. The opposition is yet another Corvette Z06, built by Phoenix Engineering out of Pennsylvania and driven by a veteran racer. The Z has an advantage in reliability, otherwise, the power-to-weight ratio of the Z06 will be tough to overcome!
Piotr Bizon likes this.
post #123 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Update from the LaJunta SCCA races: four races with one first and three second place finishes. The Z was competitive, but the Z06 had the top end power to hold the lead on this fast and bumpy airport circuit.
Tom Carlson and Joetor like this.

post #124 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Update from the LaJunta SCCA races: four races with one first and three second place finishes. The Z was competitive, but the Z06 had the top end power to hold the lead on this fast and bumpy airport circuit.
I'm always lurking from the shadows, but I gotta get out and congratulate you, well done!!!, keep it up!
post #125 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetor View Post
I'm always lurking from the shadows, but I gotta get out and congratulate you, well done!!!, keep it up!
Thanks, I plan to keep racing as long as the enjoyment is there!

One other issue of note is the scaled weight at the SCCA impound last weekend. After subtracting my weight, it appears the T1 race Z is down to 2,890#. That's with a fully stripped interior, but with intact door bars and rear hatch (glass, wiper and motor), along with SCCA-compliant six point rollcage and fire system. T1 weight for a Z33 is 2,450#, which is a laugh, as there's no way to get down to that weight. Plus, I'll be reinstalling the cool suit tank as the weather gets hotter for the next few races.
Joetor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement