User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have a 5AT and have noticed when I step on the gas suddenly, the car seems to pause for a moment before the power kicks in. Is this to be expected? I know some cars have overdrive in automatic transmissions but I'm not that familiar with the engine in the Z to know if that's the cause.

scrapser

2006 350Z Touring Coupe (5AT)
Daytona Blue
Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to harshfury
I always thought that was just the transmission down shifting.

...but then, I'm an idiot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
I have a 5AT and have noticed when I step on the gas suddenly, the car seems to pause for a moment before the power kicks in. Is this to be expected? I know some cars have overdrive in automatic transmissions but I'm not that familiar with the engine in the Z to know if that's the cause.

scrapser
How many miles on your '06. By "step on the gas suddenly" do you mean WOT (wide open throttle, all the way to the floor)? Are you using 93 octane or better?

The 5AT is an adaptive tranny...it learns the "habits" of the driver. If you normally ease into the gears, the 5AT transmission will learn this behavior, and may be slow to "jump" when you occcasionally go WOT.

My 5AT was not stock for long, but when I kicked it on the freeway or from a launch, the tranny responded better than expected. If your shifts are smooth....just slower to create power.. I really don't know what to advise. The 5AT Z is a capable performer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5AT '04 TOURING SE GA USA
August '07 Dyno at Forged Performance 398WHP / 380TQ @ 8.5psi

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
How many miles on your '06. By "step on the gas suddenly" do you mean WOT (wide open throttle, all the way to the floor)? Are you using 93 octane or better?

The 5AT is an adaptive tranny...it learns the "habits" of the driver. If you normally ease into the gears, the 5AT transmission will learn this behavior, and may be slow to "jump" when you occcasionally go WOT.

My 5AT was not stock for long, but when I kicked it on the freeway or from a launch, the tranny responded better than expected. If your shifts are smooth....just slower to create power.. I really don't know what to advise. The 5AT Z is a capable performer.
My car has just over 1300 miles on it and I do use 93 octane (I haven't seen 94 where I live). Now that I'm out of the break in stage, I wanted to see what it can do. My normal driving behavior is smooth acceleration, so this was more of an experiment. When I say step on the gas, I mean right to the floor just as a drag racer would do.

I took the car out to a remote spot on the road, came to a complete stop and then floored it. The car seemed to pause for a split second, then the power kicked in, the tires chirped but for a second, and the next thing I knew it was rocket sled time.

My next test was to floor it while already doing about 35 mph. This time the pause seemed more pronounced and felt very similar to how overdrive trannys feel. Once the power kicked in, acceleration was smooth and constant. I could here the gears shifting while feeling the car speeding up.

The "pause" I'm talking about seems evident even when driving normally. A good example is when the light turns green and I step on the gas (but not WOT). It seems like just for a moment, the car is spooling up or something but once that moment passes, it's very responsive.

scrapser

2006 350Z Touring Coupe (5AT)
Daytona Blue
Stock for now
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 AM
Performance Member

maybe u have tcs on

Visit our website for your aftermarket car parts

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Performance Member

I think I know what you are talking about... However, it doesn't seem as noticeable. Yes, the throttle response during acceleration will not be instantaneous, but it does take a moment, especially given speeds past 10 mph. I too own a 5 AT (2005 Enthusiast model), as does a good friend of mine. I have driven both, and this seems normal to me.

Anyone else have feedback on this? I don't think it is anything to worry about.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
sounds exactly like the tires lose a bit of traction and the TCS senses it, and kicks in which causes a hesitation. just let off the gas, then apply again. that usually works. or better yet, just turn off the tcs. it gets annoying sometimes

2013 370Z w/Sport Package, Midnight Blue
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Base Member

i know exactly what your talking about, i have an 04 AT, in my opinion it's normal. Remember its an automatic tranny, it has a brain of its own so it's not going to respond like a manual. The Tranny isnt going to let itself break so it has to think and adjust itself to the output your giving. Like i said thou, this is my opinion.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Touring Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
A post back from the dead...............
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Base Member

some things aren't meant to die!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement