LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
(Thread Starter)
Wanting to drain my tranny fluid. What is the recommended replacement?

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Redline!

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just switched from Redlne MTL/MT90 combo to Castro VMX80, my gearbox was notchy as hell before and the gears where grinding, now it's a lot smoother (not perfect, but a lot better). You can read more about it here https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=110040

Own: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (V2)
RIP: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (V1)
RIP: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Sold: 2003 Nissan 350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast Member

Send a message via MSN to briankort
I have been thinking about using Royal Purple. Does anybody use this and what are there opinions of it?

2003 6MT Super Black Touring - Kinetix SSV Intake Manifold - Vortech SC w/ 3.25" pulley - Alpha Werks Headers - B&M Short Shifter - Nismo Shift knob - 19" Konig Unknown wheels - Seibon VSII Carbon Fiber Hood - Borla dual exhaust - Random Tech High Flow Cats

391 rwhp & 312 ft/lbs @ 10psi
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
well they dont have redline at autozone.. so where do i get it?

post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Base Member

i use all royal purple fluids on my 97 240sx. I love the stuff, it shifts smother, i get slightly better mileage, and it accelerated alittle quicker to 60 after doing the swap. Of course the last two probably had more to do w/ swapping engine transmission and rear diff all at once. I recommend it.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Thanks to NSANY for getting this information together.

This is some useful and VERY important information regarding transmission fluids.

Quote:
[b]A friend and I were talking about the recurring noise I have in my Pathfinder's manual trans. Basically, it's most noticeable when the trans is cold, or sometimes when shifting between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. (sound kinda like that same problem some people have had with their Z's doesn't it?)

So, I did what I always do -- I did research.

Turns out that 99.9% of all "gear oil" sold in stores is API GL-5. Problem is, the factory spec for my Pathy is GL-4. Common logic would say, "Isn't GL-5 BETTER than GL-4?"

More research, please...

So I did some Google Group searches. (By far the best way to get instant info on the internet). Turns out that GL-5 includes some additives which are harsh on yellow metals (brass included) and can cause premature corrosion or breakage of bushings and synchros in your trans. Moral of the story, GL-4 is very different from GL-5, and if your spec calls for GL-4, you'd be well served to follow the manufacturer's advice. (Listen up, folks! The 350Z also calls for GL-4 gear oil!)

So all this had me wondering -- could it be that some 350Z owners have unknowingly replaced their gear oil with GL-5 and led to some premature problems? (I'm specifically thinking about folks who used Mobil 1 or other off-the-shelf synthetics -- most if not all of them are GL-5).

Just doing my part to look out for the troops -- if you've done an oil change on your MT, be sure to find out what type of oil was used, and if you have GL-5, GET IT OUT OF THERE!

Redline oils makes a GL-4 which I'll be looking for tomorrow for my Pathfinder. If any of you have done an oil swap on your trans, be sure to check what you used!
Quote:
[b]A quick follow-up after my recent junket in search of GL-4 gear oil:

1. None of the major oil manufacturers make GL-4 (by this, I mean Mobil, Valvoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc.) All of them sell GL-5, which "exceeds the GL-4 standard". That's fine, but the part they fail to realize is that the additives which make it exceed the GL-4 spec is exactly what ruins your trans...

2. In rare instances, you can find GL-4 from local auto parts stores, but it's always a one-off brand that I wouldn't trust.

3. This whole experience would be a lot less painful if we could use GL-5 gear oil.

4. Redline's web site sucks. They need to include a database of local resellers sortable by ZIP code. The list they have stinks.

5. Summit Racing sells the entire suite of Redline products, AND they only charge $7.95 flat rate for shipping. Combine that with no tax, and you have a GREAT deal. I have a pile of stuff coming hopefully in time for the weekend.

Report to follow after the change of fluids...

In the meantime, a few more pieces of corroborating evidence supporting the theory that GL-5 will ruin Nissan trannys:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=n...&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messag...p?TOPIC_ID=4097

post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
OMG And I have to get her oil changed tomorrow and already have the mobile1, but will def. get the GL4and swap it out asap... My question is if you have already started running the GL5, then is it going to be a prob switching to the redline?

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shezzzhot
LINKY'S NO WORKY!!

Dang...do I have to swap? Does Nissan carry this GL-4? I mean what they put in your car (OEM oil's) is GL-4 rated??

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:28 AM
Touring Member

So Redline MT-90 and MTL is GL-4? Because thats what I have now!!

EDIT: Yes it is GL-4, both of them...

</a>

NouR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement