Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Gearing

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  thrlskr 
#1 ·
Please excuse my ignorance; but, I constantly see people talking about gearing, and I really am not sure exactly what it is. I LOVE cars and read anything I come across that has anything to do with them. I am constantly wandering over to howstuffworks.com and just read for hours on car related stuff. I can't find anything on what gears ratios are and gearing and all that stuff but I want to learn it. I know a decent amount of stuff but when it comes to the tranny my knowledge drops off. If anyone could direct me on where to find something like this or tell me would be great. :D

#4 ·
I already read both of those lol. I know basically ow trannies work. But I am not sure like how they work when you start replacing parts like final drives and stuff. Like what happens to causes the acceleratiion to be quicker when you put in a higher final drive gear? How the parts go in, figures, and what exactly does this replace? I am not exactly sure what gears these are replacing. Is this a tranny or differential mod?

#7 ·
I am sorry for posting on all the 350 sites. But when I modded my eclipse sometimes I would get nothing from the other 2 3G sites and a lot from the third. Some people didn't frequent all three and if I wouldn't have done it I wouldn't have known half of what I know now. If there is one of these sites that I should stick to asking questions in, please let me know which is the best as far as technical stuff.

#8 ·
Don't worry, the majority of people on this site are here to help and don't care if you ask the same question on 20 different sites. Having only one site would make it easier, but that's just never going to happen. The more people who drive the car, the more sites there will be

#11 ·
Originally posted by Fooch@Oct 13 2004, 04:37 AM
I am sorry for posting on all the 350 sites. But when I modded my eclipse sometimes I would get nothing from the other 2 3G sites and a lot from the third. Some people didn't frequent all three and if I wouldn't have done it I wouldn't have known half of what I know now. If there is one of these sites that I should stick to asking questions in, please let me know which is the best as far as technical  stuff.

I appologize for not being clear about my gripe. There is NOTHING wrong with posting on all the sites, in fac t you're right it is the best way to get a good answer. IMHO there are too many 350z sites. I wish that all 350Z owners would gravitate toward the best moderated site and that the less visited sites would disappear. With only one source that is very heavily visited a greater number of people would respond AND there would be one comprehensive source to search instead of many poor sources.

I hope I didn't/don't sound like an ass; I was the guy providing you with the information you needed on the other forum. I am just a bit spoiled. As miata enthusiats there is just one "good" site, miata.net, with 20K users. The knowledge base is vast and very quick to respond.

I don't doubt that aftersome time there will be a consolidation of 350z sites as well. Or at least I hope so!

$0.02
Nick

#12 ·
Originally posted by Juztin@Oct 17 2004, 10:38 AM
My real question regarding gearing, is if I were to swap in a auto ring & pinion gear, would that bump the 6 speed manuals top speed to a little over 200mph?

If you provide the specs for the ring and pinion I will provide your top speed (gearing limited top speed, not drag/hp limited speed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.