2009 Formula 1 and people are pulling out - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, this sucks. What's going on?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081205/FREE/812059997

Quote:
The Formula One world has been turned upside down by Honda's decision to pull out of the sport effective immediately.

Efforts are being made to find an outside buyer for the team as a going concern. In effect, Honda is willing to give it away--as Ford did with the Jaguar team in 2004--as long as the new owner has blue-chip backing and can guarantee that it can cover future operating costs.

The Honda decision happened very quickly in the course of this week, and was confirmed at a press conference in Tokyo on Friday morning.

Like other motor manufacturers, Honda has been forced to make cuts in all areas, but it was regarded as the least likely to quit the sport. Honda's involvement stretches, on and off, back to 1964. The company has always used F1, not just for marketing purposes, but for genuine engineering reasons as well.

Company president Takeo Fukui said: "Honda must protect its core business activities and secure the long term as widespread uncertainties in the economics around the globe continue to mount. We will enter into consultation with associates of Honda Racing F1 and its engine supplier Honda Racing Development regarding the future of the two companies. This will include offering the team for sale."

Honda had two disastrous seasons in 2006 and 2007, coinciding with its eco-friendly "Earth dreams" campaign. The cars ran without any overt Honda identification, leading skeptics to wonder just what the company was gaining from the arrangement.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
dad
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's not good, who's next?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 AM

Pretty crazy start to the season. :(

However: Cosworth wins FIA standard engine tender for 2010 <~Click!

'03 HRE 350Z TT Sold
'12 Forgeline G37S Daily

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
More news on the Honda pullout: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28066396/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:22 PM

Love the fact that Brawn GP is kickin&#39; ass!! Hope the "diffuser three" are all legal. It&#39;s nice to see some different cars other than Ferrari and McLaren at the top of the time sheets! I can&#39;t wait for the day the Max and Bernie are gone! Those two morons are ruining F1.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The Toyotas of Timo Glock will start Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix from the back of the grid after stewards found their cars to be in contravention of the rules. They had qualified sixth and eighth respectively.

A post-qualifying inspection by the FIA found the TF109s’ to have ‘extreme flexibility’ in their rear wings, thus breaking Formula One racing’s technical regulations. Glock’s and Trulli’s qualifying times were cancelled as a result.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Well, I don&#39;t have this season on Tivo to record but saw that the top finishers included the usual drivers sans the Ferrari team. Anybody watch the race and see some good action?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast Member

Exciting and crazy race. The cars look ugly and I don&#39;t agree with all the changes but the race was fun, and more important looks like the cars can actually race a lot closer to each other and overtake. Several times in the race 3 or 4 cars were within 1.5 seconds or so and overtaking each other. It&#39;s a shame that Vettel and Kubica didn&#39;t finish but that accident between the two with 3 laps to go allowed Barrchelo to finish second, if you can watch the replay on Speed.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Hmm... that&#39;s great about the race being closer and more competitive. Did they have anything to say about the size of the attendance?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast Member

QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Mar 29 2009, 02:19 PM)
Quote:
Hmm... that&#39;s great about the race being closer and more competitive. Did they have anything to say about the size of the attendance?

I heard it was the lowest on Thursday for this GP but I don&#39;t know about the other days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement