NTSB recommends full ban on cell phone use while driving - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NTSB recommends full ban on cell phone use while driving

NTSB recommends full ban on use of cell phones while driving - CNN.com

I am 100% all for this legislation. If it passes look for an end to the issuance of corporate cell phones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5AT '04 TOURING SE GA USA
August '07 Dyno at Forged Performance 398WHP / 380TQ @ 8.5psi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a company cell phone, and it is absolutely imperative that I use it. I'm trained to multi-task.

I don't think they thought this one through. I can name a few situations when the issue will come to a screeching halt. Think of politicians being pulled over.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm 100% for a ban as well.

Simply put, nobody can drive competently and talk on a phone at the same time. I know, I know... you do it all the time. No, what you're doing is driving like shit while your bumping your gums on the phone. While the few of us who aren't on a phone are dodging your swerving asses.

I drive to work everyday and look at all the morons gabbing away behind the wheel and I ask myself "If they didn't have a cell phone, how many of these people would have pulled over and found a pay phone?" None. That's how many.

Having been ran off the road twice by teenagers unsuccessfully trying to text and drive, I have even less sympathy for you texting assholes.

-Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Grand Touring Member

I'm guilty of calling/texting while driving, but cognitively I know its a dangerous move.

I'm for banning the use of handsets in the car, but handsfree I'm OK with. Since its so dangerous, I don't know why OEM car kits get a free pass whereas aftermarket handsfree kits aren't permitted.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
I thought peripherals like OnStar were the only things that got a pass.

Phone manufactures should chip the phone to deactivate if GPS indicates movement = 10mph(+) and location = road.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to [cerberus]
I am 100% for this ban, because I am tired of all the goodie two shoes who call the cops on us when we go on cruises.

Matt

Momentum Single Turbo 370whp & 360ftlbs
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen idiots that can't drive because someone is talking to them in the car and they're having a conversation. Is that something that should be banned? How about radios and movie players? What's next?

I'm inclined to leave it to discretion instead of a 100% ban. I definitely think texting while driving is bad, but I don't think talking on a wireless system is as bad.

When you step in a vehicle and drive on public roads, you're taking a risk no matter what. There are other dangers out there.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothz View Post
I've seen idiots that can't drive because someone is talking to them in the car and they're having a conversation. Is that something that should be banned? How about radios and movie players? What's next?

I'm inclined to leave it to discretion instead of a 100% ban. I definitely think texting while driving is bad, but I don't think talking on a wireless system is as bad.

When you step in a vehicle and drive on public roads, you're taking a risk no matter what. There are other dangers out there.
Nice try Dave, but it's been proven in every study ever conducted on the matter that talking on the phone is far more distracting than talking to a passenger in the car. The reason being is passengers subconsciously react to road and traffic conditions. The passenger sees that your concentrating on looking for a street sign and they shut up for a few seconds and let you concentrate. But the person on the other end of the phone doesn't know what you're doing and they keep right on gabbing. Same with the radio. How many of us are guilty of turning the radio down when we're looking for an address?

I get it. Everybody thinks they are great at multitasking while driving (which they aren't). I also get the fact the everybody thinks they need to be on the phone (which they don't). If the only life people like yourself were risking was their own, I'd be all about leaving it up to individual discretion. Hell if drunk drivers only killed themselves it wouldn't be a crime, would it?

-RZ

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't trying to try anything, B. My point is that there are many distractions, not just texting. I know texting is extremely distracting and is a major reason for people losing focus on the more important task at hand.

Perhaps you drive with people that are more aware of their surroundings, which is great. I'm probably on the road more often than others and notice little nuances such as weaving and odd behaviors. Yes, most of them are texting, eating, or talking (or all of the above). Those people need an ass whoopin. Or they shouldn't be driving. Don't get me started on that argument.

Again, my question is where do they draw the line? If I'm driving but a passenger is texting, will I get pulled over and cited? If that's the case, I feel sorry for the folks that have to enforce it. It's a can of worms.

Fine, outlaw texting. Better yet, let's get rid of phones that can text altogether.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothz View Post
Again, my question is where do they draw the line? If I'm driving but a passenger is texting, will I get pulled over and cited?
Unless your passenger is helping you drive, then no you wouldn't get cited. And, if that's the case, the cops should be doing far more to you than just citing your passenger for texting.

The article does specifically state that it applies to the operator of the motor vehicle - it doesn't seem to apply to the passengers.

So the line would basically be drawn around the body of the person who is (nominally) in charge of the wheel and pedals.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement