Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greed as a virtue

The One-Percenters - Roger Ebert's Journal

Quote:
"The upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation's income every year. In terms of wealth rather than income, the top 1 percent control 40 percent. "Their lot in life has improved considerably. Twenty-five years ago, the corresponding figures were 12 percent and 33 percent."

So I discover in a piece by Joseph E. Stiglitz in the new issue of Vanity Fair. These facts confirm my impression that greed is now seen as a virtue in America. I'm not surprised by the greed of the One-Percenters. I'm mystified by the lack of indignation from so many of the rest of us.
Day after day I read stories that make me angry. Wanton consumption is glorified. Corruption is rewarded. Ordinary people see their real income dropping, their houses sold out from under them, their pensions plundered, their unions legislated against, their health care still under attack. Yes, people in Wisconsin and Ohio have risen up to protest these realities, but why has there not been more outrage?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smoke and mirrors thrown up by the media cloud the big picture from view while constantly shifting focus to and fro on a myiad of 'hot button' psudeo issues.

The voting populace is easily polarized and focus groups/pollsters know how to perpetuate this polarization.

Thinking is hard and time consuming...not a popular passtime for the instant gratification generation. Where's that EASY button?

The 1% -ers hire the brightest minds and control the most valuable natural resources. I wonder if they are going to allow a doubling of the population to 14 billion?

More people in the USA now....wealth doesn't spead as far as it used to.

(just thoughts to mull over, i hope these folks who are overburdened by capital are working on good things to benefit humankind, and some probably are, shame on the others)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5AT '04 TOURING SE GA USA
August '07 Dyno at Forged Performance 398WHP / 380TQ @ 8.5psi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Just wanted to say that Donald Trump is not one of those nice guys that would benefit mankind. It's people like him that dumb down the nation. He should stick with being in an office running a business, not being a celebrity.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Grand Touring Member

Trumps latest blast of hot air is nothing more than a publicity gambit.

And attacking Obamas birth place? Com'on...there are sooo many other options for mounting an offensive. It's silly to dig that crap up again. Trump won't make a serious run.

After being islolated in the wealth bubble for so long I doubt he has any idea just how poor an excuse of a human being he really is.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
inb4Z1ONLY

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrm350 View Post
inb4Z1ONLY

I was thinking that reading it last night.

-RZ

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrm350 View Post
inb4Z1ONLY
I'm anxiously awaiting his reply.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Touring Member

If someone breaks the law, throw them in jail. Otherwise get your hand out of their pocket.

Quote:
Ordinary people see their real income dropping, their houses sold out from under them, [when they don't pay their mortgages, duh] their pensions plundered, [plundered?] their unions legislated against, [the unions don't represent "the people" they represent themselves at the expense of those who pay them. In Wisconsin, that's the taxpayers....AKA "the people"] their health care still under attack. [from the federal government, no less] Yes, people [ union special interests] in Wisconsin and Ohio have risen up to protest these realities, but why has there not been more outrage? [because we are happy about it]
I'll be in town all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 04-13-2011 at 10:45 PM.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
If someone breaks the law, throw them in jail. Otherwise get your hand out of their pocket.

Quote:
Ordinary people see their real income dropping, their houses sold out from under them, [when they don't pay their mortgages, duh] their pensions plundered, [plundered?] their unions legislated against, [the unions don't represent "the people" they represent themselves at the expense of those who pay them. In Wisconsin, that's the taxpayers....AKA "the people"] their health care still under attack. [from the federal government, no less] Yes, people [ union special interests] in Wisconsin and Ohio have risen up to protest these realities, but why has there not been more outrage? [because we are happy about it]
I'll be in town all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
That was sorta weak...

-Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Touring Member

I don't care how much money my neighbor has.

The article is little more than petty, jealous drivel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement