Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newt converted? I don't buy it

Gingrich: Love of country contributed to affair - Yahoo! News

Quote:
ATLANTA Newt Gingrich says his passion for his country contributed to his marital infidelity. In an interview posted Wednesday by The Christian Broadcasting Network, Gingrich who recently converted to Catholicism said he had sought God's forgiveness for mistakes in his past.
Quote:
The twice-divorced former U.S. House speaker has admitted he had an affair with Callista, a former congressional aide, while married to his second wife. It happened at the same time he was attacking President Bill Clinton for his relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.
The interview with the Christian broadcaster comes as Gingrich gears up for a likely presidential run. He has been courting religious and social conservatives who would be critical in a GOP primary.

The fact that he cheated in the first place while trying to crucify Clinton makes me wonder how stupid people really are if they're going to believe him this time around. I can't imagine myself saying the same thing with a straight face.

This trend in politics of asking for forgiveness or saying sorry for doing the dumbest stuff is getting old. I don't care if you make mistakes or admit to infidelity, just don't lie about how you're a better person and then use it to sway certain sections of society.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think that it's okay to tear into another person for doing the same things that you do. That makes you a liar and a hypocrite.

BUT, I think whether people believe that he won't do it or not has a lot to do with where he was in his life when it happened and where he is now. For example, I have a couple friends who had hot-headed, abusive, alcoholic, drug addicted fathers growing up. Today they have good relationships with their fathers. Point is, people CAN change IMO.

I saw no where in that article where he asked for anyone's forgiveness other than God's or anywhere where he proclaimed that he is a better person. IMO, he has accepted his mistakes as mistakes and is describing how he has moved on and how that has benefited him.

I'm not one of those people who thinks that politician's private lives are none of our business either. There is no doubt in my mind that someone who will lie, cheat, and/or steal in their private lives will do the same as a politician.

It all comes down to: Will he do it again? IMO. The answer is no for me. But all-in-all, this is a 'no care' kinda thing for me.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Agreed.

I'm just disappointed in politics.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Agreed.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You know if Newt had simply had a series of divorces, this would be a non-issue. But that's not even remotely what happened. No, what Newt did was cheat on Wife#1 with the person who would become Wife #2. And just to put a little sauce on it, he served Wife #1 with divorce papers while she was laid up in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. What kind of asshole does that? Things are going OK with Wife #2 when she messes up and gets diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Oops, time to shop for Wife #3. And he does all this while wagging his finger at Bill Clinton. Seriously?

I mean that's a genuine character flaw. Not to mention, what grown man calls himself "Newt"?

-Ronin Z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Don't forget that the current wife is the one he was cheating with when he was married to #2. I wonder if #3 thinks she's going to be replaced soon.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post

I mean that's a genuine character flaw.

-Ronin Z
...it's as if he was BORN to be a politician!

Let's face it, no good man will ever get voted into office if the status quo doesn't change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
...it's as if he was BORN to be a politician!

Let's face it, no good man will ever get voted into office if the status quo doesn't change.
I'm starting to think that the only way we could ever get any good (or even decent) politicians is if they were drafted at random by social security number. It'd be like jury duty. You'd open the mailbox one evening and there'd be a letter... "Crap! Looks like I'm the new congressman representing the 11th district..."

-RZ

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothZ View Post

The Executive branch throws up a figurehead for the masses to bitch about. Judicial and the Congress are puppets of the special interests.

You see commercials that show how much good a company is doing for 'everyone'...not really selling anything except good will for their corporate name. (Con Agra, Monsanto, GE, big Oil, Pharma, Insurance)

These folks ^ hold the strings...the politicians just show up and vote which-ever way best serves their main contributors interests. Apart from this pesky voting and debating (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) stuff the toughest decision a politician has to make is which tie to wear for lunch with the BP rep who wants to make sure you kill that nuclear plant proposal asap. Oh yeah....better set up a new acct in the Caymans too.

It costs what?...$200 million be get into the White House. You're ass is in somebodys pocket.

Ronin is right....better to pull a name outta the hat.

5AT '04 TOURING SE GA USA
August '07 Dyno at Forged Performance 398WHP / 380TQ @ 8.5psi

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post
I'm starting to think that the only way we could ever get any good (or even decent) politicians is if they were drafted at random by social security number. It'd be like jury duty. You'd open the mailbox one evening and there'd be a letter... "Crap! Looks like I'm the new congressman representing the 11th district..."

-RZ
I kind of like that idea, except we might accidentally get an illegal into office because he or she is using a fake SSN.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement