10 Marijuana studies the government regrets... - Page 4 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
(Thread Starter)
You cannot deny the medical benefits yet our conservative government turns a blind eye to the facts in order to keep it very hard to get still.

According to one show I watched recently, in California it is legal to prescribe medicinal marijuana, however it is illegal to grow it. So it has to be grown illegally to sell to the medical centers that distribute it. Sounds like a very efficient government to me...

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You cannot deny the medical benefits yet our conservative government turns a blind eye to the facts in order to keep it very hard to get still.

According to one show I watched recently, in California it is legal to prescribe medicinal marijuana, however it is illegal to grow it. So it has to be grown illegally to sell to the medical centers that distribute it. Sounds like a very efficient government to me...

It's an issue that neither party is gonna take up. I mean, if given the chance, I don't see legalizing marijuana being one the Dems platforms this election year or in '08.

I would say there is probably more opposition to it on the GOP side, but like I said, Hillary's not gonna be using that as an issue in '08.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I dont think this issue is either Democratic or Republican. It has to do alot with people in our country wanting to protect you from yourself, they think they can do a better job of it than you can.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to studybuddy Send a message via MSN to studybuddy
Quote:
I dont think this issue is either Democratic or Republican. It has to do alot with people in our country wanting to protect you from yourself, they think they can do a better job of it than you can.
People are scared of things they've never tried. It's easy to be sceptical and judge from the sidelines, but realistically it's not as harmful as it is made out to be. Compared to other illegal drugs marijuana is almost a joke.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Touring Member

Quote:
But the fact is, the government WILL deny it because, to them, they do not have proof one way or another.

Quote:
6) PROHIBITION DOESN’T WORK (PART II: DOES PROHIBITION CAUSE THE "GATEWAY EFFECT"?): U.S. and Dutch researchers, supported in part by NIDA, compared marijuana users in San Francisco, where non-medical use remains illegal, to Amsterdam, where adults may possess and purchase small amounts of marijuana from regulated businesses. Looking at such parameters as frequency and quantity of use and age at onset of use, they found no differences except one: Lifetime use of hard drugs was significantly lower in Amsterdam, with its "tolerant" marijuana policies. For example, lifetime crack cocaine use was 4.5 times higher in San Francisco than Amsterdam.
Although it is easy to draw a conclusion that the significantly lower use of crack cocaine in Amsterdam is specifically related to the fact that Pot is legal there, IMO, this is the same type of comparison that is made in point #8 about the implication of Pot being a gateway to harder drugs. It's just a convenient use of one fact to support another claim.

Quote:
5) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART I): Federal researchers implanted several types of cancer, including leukemia and lung cancers, in mice, then treated them with cannabinoids (unique, active components found in marijuana). THC and other cannabinoids shrank tumors and increased the mice’s lifespans.
So, when was the last time a pot smoker "implanted" THC and other cannabinoids into their body without the vehicle that drove it into their body being a junk-filled smoke?

Quote:
4) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER, (PART II): In a 1994 study the government tried to suppress, federal researchers gave mice and rats massive doses of THC, looking for cancers or other signs of toxicity. The rodents given THC lived longer and had fewer cancers, "in a dose-dependent manner" (i.e. the more THC they got, the fewer tumors).
Again, how is this being administered to them? I doubt they have a joint lit and the rats come up and take a pull. Hmm...maybe a water-based bong? I'm not refuting the effects, just how the administration of the drug through a needle (or something similar) is made to sound like the rats smoked pot and were more healthy than the ones who didn't (which we all know is not the case).

Quote:
1) MARIJUANA DOES HAVE MEDICAL VALUE: In response to passage of California’s medical marijuana law, the White House had the Institute of Medicine (IOM) review the data on marijuana’s medical benefits and risks. The IOM concluded, "Nausea, appetite loss, pain and anxiety are all afflictions of wasting, and all can be mitigated by marijuana." While noting potential risks of smoking, the report added, "we acknowledge that there is no clear alternative for people suffering from chronic conditions that might be relieved by smoking marijuana, such as pain or AIDS wasting."
I think this is the most important part of the whole thing that was cited. This is actually useful. To me, if you want it to be legalized, stop trying to show how "not bad" it is, and start showing what benefit it DOES have. I'm all for it being legalized, however, the fact that it is a huge fight now, makes me wonder.....if it is legalized, how many people will take that legalization as a blessing to abuse it?
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
And marijuana slows down your reflexes. So you're still impaired from driving.
I remember a study we learned as an example in my behavioral statistics class in college. It was on the effects of marijuana and alcohol on driving abilities. They had a course or something off-road with cones or something. With alcohol, the curve just shifted to the left (got worse). With marijuana, the average score remained the same, but the curve or distribution actually split where some got better and some got worse (increase in standard deviation). Very few were unaffected though. So, instead of a bell shaped curve, it was a double-humped looking distribution (there's a statistical term for that; I can't remember it). I still have the textbook at home, I can look it up if no one believes me.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to i8acobra
Here in NV, it's leagal to posses and grow with a presciption. On this November's ballot, there's going to be a question regarding the legalization of marijuana for everyone. I know how I'll be voting, even though I've never touched the stuff.

Aaron B.
'08 Mustang GT/CS
'87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (454,000 miles and still counting)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement