'Airlines terror plot' disrupted - Page 3 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
This could have been so huge and so destructive and taken thousands and thousands of lives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm
I guess I'll sit back and let the libs come in and say this is just being hyped up for political gain.

I for one am glad that we're being proactive instead of reactive. This is war, not a police issue.
Alright, time for me to step in. Some wars are police issues. It's only semantics. Whatever the case, it's an aggression that has to be dealt with.

I'm still wondering why you keep making inferences to the differences between libs and whatever else is out there. There's really no clear vision anymore. Party lines are blurry at best, and not one person can be pinned down to their policital ideologies. Most of them are wishy washy.

Quote:
Indeed, Terri, scary sh!t.

I'm gonna sit back and watch as the people come in to the thread about "the violation of our rights and freedoms" cause we can't bring liquids on the plane anymore. It's all a conspiracy for the big Airline industry, to not have to give out drinks on board. That would mean huge profits for the industry. It's all Bushs fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring back coca cola on our plans now..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
I don't think there's an agenda or conspiracy here. I only see a knee jerk reaction. But we do what we have to in order to placate the masses and show that something is being done.

Some organizations in this country believe everything we do is a violation. Those people are extremists with no credibility. I'm tired of listening to them cry wolf just for the attention.

Quote:
Violation of rights? F that. I'll stand in security all day long, and take my shoes off and my belt and pack my lighters in the luggage along w/ my liquids and smile when the dude pulls me out of line for extra checks. People get all hyped up on "OMG I can't take my *insert liquid here* on the plane" when all that the extra security doing is MAKING IT SAFER FOR US TO FLY. I actually don't mind the extra security. We have flown about say a dozen + times in the last 4 years, and quite honestly the security does not bother me. It HAS made us miss a flight, once, but we were going to miss it security or not. People need to calm down and realize that it's keeping us, and the country safe.
Nothing stays status quo forever. Times change and people need to learn to adapt.

Quote:
Romney activates National Guard for Logan Airport

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus..._logan_airport/

Schwarzenegger activates Guard in wake of London terror plot

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_4162404
A futile attempt to feel enabled, IMO. A bunch of guys in uniform standing around doesn't prevent much but it might act as a deterrent. On the flipside, it could also attract attention and make them targets to a suicidal maniac. I'm sure you guys have heard about the phenomenon called 'death by cops.'

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks to me like British Intelligence is better than ours.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

2000 Formula Mazda -- race car
1992 NSX -- for street and track
2006 Mitsubishi EVO IX MR -- bone stock daily driver
2002 Jaguar Vanden Plas -- luxo-cruiser

R.I.P. 2003 Nissan 350Z Track -- Silverstone with a shitload of N/A mods

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looks to me like British Intelligence is better than ours.
Maybe so, but their immigration policies are worse than ours (if that's possible). That's why they have a lot of problems with 'assimilation.' Then again, it's such an old city that you can't help but appreciate the diversity that one can only find in a city that large.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Ah hell its all just propoganda like Josh said........we are in no more danger now than we were 30 years ago....As far as party lines they are more clear now than they have ever been in history, the Dems backs are up against a wall every candidate they have tried to endorse ends up being a nut job i.e. Howard Dean, Al Gore so without regard to whats best for this country or the people that live here, they are trying to win using any means possible.

ITS JUST ALL PROPOGANDA!

post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Alright, time for me to step in. Some wars are police issues. It's only semantics. Whatever the case, it's an aggression that has to be dealt with.

What exactly are you referring to as "an aggression"? I might be a little confused where your coming from.

I'm still wondering why you keep making inferences to the differences between libs and whatever else is out there. There's really no clear vision anymore. Party lines are blurry at best, and not one person can be pinned down to their policital ideologies. Most of them are wishy washy.

I'm making those references basically toward Josh. He's the "Lamont" type Democrat who I feel is taking over that party. It was more or less a comment because there is no good that Bush can do in his eyes. It was a response to the Anti-Bush banner that was at the bottom of the pages, totally uncalled for and lame IMO. We can all sit here and try to have a civilized discussion(best possible when speaking of subjects like politics and religion). If we found OBL tomorrow, it would be just for political gain, Haliburton is making money off of it, catching him caused global warming, he's meaningless, etc...............

I don't think there's an agenda or conspiracy here. I only see a knee jerk reaction. But we do what we have to in order to placate the masses and show that something is being done.

I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction when the intelligence says the liquid explosive was to be smuggled in through sports drinks, ie "gatorade".

Some organizations in this country believe everything (George Bush does) is a violation. Those people are extremists with no credibility. I'm tired of listening to them cry wolf just for the attention.

Fixed.

Nothing stays status quo forever. Times change and people need to learn to adapt.
A futile attempt to feel enabled, IMO. A bunch of guys in uniform standing around doesn't prevent much but it might act as a deterrent. On the flipside, it could also attract attention and make them targets to a suicidal maniac. I'm sure you guys have heard about the phenomenon called 'death by cops.'

Any chance to kill "suicidal maniacs" is okay with me.

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Robin, duly noted.

Being on the inside of govt gives me a different perspective. I see a lot of bad things that the admin caused to happen in the years since the attack. Most of it is bad management and the fact that I don't agree with their style of ideology. Yes, ultimately what he says goes but I don't have to like it. And if I think it's illegal, then whoever tells me to do it can kiss my ass. I have to stand up for something....right?

When I used the word aggression, I used it as a broad term to cover a lot of things. The word 'war' as in war on drugs and terrorism were coined by the media or politicians and sensationalized, obviously. I guess I'm tired of hearing it. I like the word aggression better since it covers more such as illegal aliens rushing the border with guns ablazing or extreme Muslims acting as suicide bombers at a school.

And to settle the debate about what I believe in, here we go. I believe we should and can use torture to get information for the greater good. I believe in people killing people, not guns acting on their own. In other words, I believe we have the right to bear firearms as long as we are law abiding citizens. I believe in abortion. I believe in police actions around the world when we are called to help defend the defenseless that are being invaded by an aggressor. I don't like the welfare system, especially the welfare to work program that Clinton started. People need to get off their asses and work. Go to work, earn some money, and gain some respect. I don't believe affirmative action is a good program. It has been abused and has promoted too many incompetents. One should be recognized for their skills and efforts and not by race or minority status.

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, I believe we did the right thing by going in there and overthrowing the dictators to clean up the mess. There were just too many atrocities going on (such as wiping out a whole village with chemicals). I also believe that had we left them alone, the potential for something worse than 9/11 would have happened had we not disrupted the potential events with the war action.

However, I also do not agree with what Bush is trying to do as far as giving the Executive office as much power as possible. That's the Texas mentality for you. Texans seem to think they can do whatever they want. I should know since I grew up in NM and have a lot of family in TX. I believe in a system of checks and balances (naively, of course) within the government. Yes, there are some instances in which 1 branch of the govt can do something without the others' approval. I just don't like how the current admin is taking care of business on a grand scale (think bigger picture for the future). The trend is pointing towards a totalitarian state (at the extreme). The politicians are beginning to think they don't owe the voters anything. They are so wrong.... they need to look back in history and read up on revolutions.

post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

I call on this one. The Pakistani govt is notorious for harboring all kinds of wanted people, or at least have been for years. I wouldn't trust them with a rabid dog...

Pakistan’s government said later its intelligence agents helped Britain crack the plot and had arrested two to three suspects.

“Pakistan played a very important role in uncovering and breaking this international terrorist network,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Tasnim Aslam said, but she declined to give details.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Just thought I'd add this, since the title of the thread is appropriate.

Today was part 2 and not original.

In June 1995, U.S. and Filipino authorities uncovered a plot very similar to the one revealed Thursday in the U.K.

In that plot, called the “Bojinka Plot,” bombs were to be placed aboard 11 jumbo jets and detonated by timing devices as the planes flew over the Pacific Ocean, killing an estimated 4,000 people.

Most of the jets were to be American carriers and most of the dead would have been Americans.

The bombs were small, using a Casio watch as a timer and contact lens bottles filled with nitroglycerine. They were to be secreted behind the wall panels in the plane's lavatory.

The bombs would have been timed to go off over a number of hours to heighten the terror.

The plan, also called the “Day of Hate,” was conceived by Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind of the first World Trade Center bombing, and his uncle, Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the mastermind of 9/11.

Only a fire in Yousef's Manila apartment thwarted it. Mohammed later modified the plan, took it to Osama bin Laden, and it became the blueprint for the 9/11 attacks.

post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
I call on this one. The Pakistani govt is notorious for harboring all kinds of wanted people, or at least have been for years. I wouldn't trust them with a rabid dog...

Pakistan’s government said later its intelligence agents helped Britain crack the plot and had arrested two to three suspects.

“Pakistan played a very important role in uncovering and breaking this international terrorist network,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Tasnim Aslam said, but she declined to give details.

I dunno they are in the middle of all the Arab countries, all it is going to do is bring problems on them for admitting that they helped catch the terrorist. The funny think is that Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait are all scared of Iran and they want something done about them, but they fear a coup if they come out against them. In the end if Israel does not take care of Iran we will end up doing the job. It will come down to bombing their nuclear facilities. Go George go hurry up and do it before your term is over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement