User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Okay, for the mentally retarded who commit crimes of a heinous nature, there could be some leeway there. However, if they beat somebody to a pulp and kill them but we continue to hold them in a special hospital or facility and medicate them, what's the point? Why do we waste so much money on people who require constant care, meds, and special treatment?

Let's take Singapore as an example; the Disneyland of the Far East. Most people there are well educated, hard working, and respectful or mindful of their unique status in this world. You can't litter w/o being punished for it. They generally don't practice any Western religion, but they respect it amongst their population. Singapore is not known for human rights violations that I know of, but they do severely punish crimes against society (i.e. smuggling narcotics, murder, rape).

England has crime just like us. Yet the general population cannot own any guns. They have serial killers, rapists, smugglers, and thieves. Israel (as seen on TV) lets anyone walk around with an AK-47 or Uzi, last I saw. They seem unable to uphold basic common laws on protecting the general public.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
I know not many will agree with my way out views on stuff like this, but thats fine with me. We are facing overpopulation already, exterminate criminals when they are kids and we can make the world a better place. If the kids know they will be executed for killing someone and they still do it, so be it.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DiRN

[/quote]

post #14 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by arlingtonz@Mar 1 2005, 11:04 AM
[b]Are you citing a paticular case? If so I agree the heinousness of this crime does seem to justify capital punishment. Other countries prevent heinous crimes multiple ways, most do not allow the citizens to arm themselves with Uzi's and other such weaponry protected by the 2nd Admendment (I will refrain from comment on that one for now).*
The first post has a link to the story on the Supreme Court case. Read it about halfway down or closer to the end.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #15 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat

I say

COOK EM!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to buzam
I'm with smooth on this one. If intent is demonstrated, how can we as society look to protect and foster such behavior..........take a seat and get belted in!

Most people will listen to your unreasonable demands, if you'll consider their unacceptable offer.

1993 300ZX NA 2+2 Glacier White 5MT (SCCA registered track car)
2003 Touring PPW 6MT Jezzy II (time to mod)
2003 Touring PPW 6MT Jezzy (RIP)
post #17 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage

[/quote]

true, but when those 14, 15 and 16 year old "kids" get some guns and go into a school and just start shooting, there is nothing but pure evil in that instance. i know that is a far fetched example but if they go through the whole process of planning, gathering the equipment to commit the murder, and carry through with the plan they should be punished the same as if an adult did the same thing.

2013 370Z w/Sport Package, Midnight Blue
post #18 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Grand Touring Member

As of Jan. 01, 2005 there were 3,455 inmates on Death Row in the US. This guy is not one of them.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...usmalvo020.html

There are 181,559 Federal inmates....over 2 million citizens incarcerated in the US or 1 out of every 142.

I am in favor of the death penalty for anyone convicted of Murder in the First Degree.

I would like to see professional juries on hand for such cases. I have sat on two Federal juries and a number of lesser ones and I have seen first hand how one strong juror can sway the opinion of others...no matter the facts of the case at hand. In one case two jurors completely reversed their stand just because the judge was making us come back for more debate on a Saturday....and they wanted to go fishing.

It went as follows...case was tried on a Friday morning...jury goes in about 1 o'clock to deliberate and after five hours all but these two are for acquittal (they are former law officers & believe anyone accused is automatically guilty...they both stated this position). The bailiff comes in and asks if we have a decision...nope. He tells the judge ...comes back and says o-k...see you back here in the morning. These two immediatly say we'll vote for acquittal so we can get out of here and go fishing tomorrow. This is when I learned that anything can happen in a jury trial.

In a separate Federal trial...one of the prospective jurors on the panel was overheard in the restroom saying he really wanted to be selected so he "could put somebody away". His statement was reported to the Judge and he was excused from service.

5AT '04 TOURING SE GA USA
August '07 Dyno at Forged Performance 398WHP / 380TQ @ 8.5psi

post #19 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast Member

Having been working for the Dept. of Corrections for the past 4years i get to see these people who kill first hand a get to hear some of the reasons they kill, alot kill for no reason, they say they killed a person for money, drugs or just because they felt like it. I feel if you take a life you should have to give yours, alot of people who don't agree with the death penalty should think how they would feel if that killer took the life of one of their family members then I bet they would change their mind about the death penalty.

post #20 of 301 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

[/quote]
Exactly. I have always wondered how a person against the death penalty would feel if one of their loved ones was brutally murdered. I know I wouldn't sit idly and let the bastid(s) get away with it. But I'm a patient guy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement