User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone out in Z land have experience with Ultimate Braking rotors? I'm not interested in a BBK at this time, but would like to replace the stock rotors with aftermarket replacement slotted/drilled rotors. I found these at Brake Planet, here's their link:
http://stores.brakeplanet.com/store/search...p;submit=Search
Front and Rear slotted/drilled replacements for 295.00
If anyone has experience with vendor/product, please let me know.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Grand Touring Member

I haven't heard of this brand, but that doesn't really mean much I suppose. $300 is pretty low for a full set of slotted and cross-drilled rotors, and that kind of rings some alarm bells. Remember, you get what you pay for, and you don't want to buy cheap when it comes to brake components. (Especially cross-drilled, which can crack if cheaply made) I would suggest you look into either Stoptech, Stillen, DBA, Cryo-Stop, or RacingBrake. All of these companies reportedly make a good product, for reasonable prices at different levels of performance.

"I have become-comfortably numb"

Motordyne~RacingBrake~Hawk~Redline~Momo~Rockford Fosgate~Infiniti~Alpine~Michelin~K&N~S2000 Stubby
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my StopTech slotted Brembo rotors from Riverside Infiniti on eBay for $165 for the rears and $185 for the fronts. That's not a lot more than these and the non-Brembo rotors are even cheaper. My point is, don't skimp on rotors, especially if you are going to get drilled and/or slotted rotors. If they are drilled or slotted incorrectly (ie. the slots go to edges of the rotors, the holes are literally drilled, not cast) your rotors may develop cracks.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here but brakes are important and I would be POed if I spent $300 on rotors that crack. This reminds me of DBA (Disk Brakes Australia). There were a lot of unhappy Z owners using their rotors from what I understand.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (IDrm350 @ Jun 2 2009, 03:12 PM)
Quote:
I got my StopTech slotted Brembo rotors from Riverside Infiniti on eBay for $165 for the rears and $185 for the fronts. That's not a lot more than these and the non-Brembo rotors are even cheaper. My point is, don't skimp on rotors, especially if you are going to get drilled and/or slotted rotors. If they are drilled or slotted incorrectly (ie. the slots go to edges of the rotors, the holes are literally drilled, not cast) your rotors may develop cracks.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here but brakes are important and I would be POed if I spent $300 on rotors that crack. This reminds me of DBA (Disk Brakes Australia). There were a lot of unhappy Z owners using their rotors from what I understand.
I have heard a lot of back and forth reviews on DBA, but a lot of people seem to swear by them as well. I guess where there is smoke there is fire......

Motordyne~RacingBrake~Hawk~Redline~Momo~Rockford Fosgate~Infiniti~Alpine~Michelin~K&N~S2000 Stubby
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
QUOTE (Pumpkinhead @ Jun 2 2009, 08:56 PM)
Quote:
I have heard a lot of back and forth reviews on DBA, but a lot of people seem to swear by them as well. I guess where there is smoke there is fire......
It's the same story with Rotas. Some people will flame you off the forums (the "other" forum at least) but other people race with them and swear by them. I have no personal experience with DBA or Rota.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Grand Touring Member

As usual,there are a lot of stereotyping and assumptions made on things just because someone heard that, "so and so's brother had a set and he had them crack in two while backing his car up!", or some shit like that. The reality in a lot of these cases is probably more like, "so and so's brother broke his rim because he was riding on an under-inflated tire and a 30mm off-brand spacer with inadequate studs, and then tried to drive the wrong way across parking spikes".

That having been said though, you get what you pay for.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talked to a couple of track fanatics at ZDayZ - Bryan and Morris Morgan - and they use about the cheapest rotors they can find since they wear them out so quickly. Morris said StopTechs don't last him a bit longer than the cheap ones. I have heard about cross drilled rotors cracking though - personally I would stick with slotted and not cross drilled no matter the price. If you think about it, a brake rotor is nothing more than a hunk of steel - most of us average drivers are never going to put enough stress on a rotor to crack it. And I know that the brakes are the only thing slowing you down, but still....Just someone else's $.02 who know way more than I do.

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's a thread about cross-drilled rotors and other brake issues: brakes

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement