WARNING! Cobb tunning springs Design flaw - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
QUOTE (danimaldaisy @ Mar 12 2009, 10:30 PM)
Quote:
The only reason I choose eBay is from the buyer protection...which I just might use....SIGH

Honestly I canít really complain too badly because I did the installation myself.

Westpak

I AM DESPERATE to get some decent springs, but here is my main concern. Most people claim that they get better handling on the Z usually have the 03-04.5 model.....do you happen to have the an 05+ with the updated rear springs, because there are 2 versions of the Swift springs...the regular linear version and the "R" spring which is progressive.

The standard springs (linear) have a softer spring rate than stock, but I have no idea what the butt dyno says....The R springs are progressive and start out softer than stock, but when stiffened up have aggressive spring rates.

What I am looking for is stiffer/tighter feeling in the steering wheel and confidence in the suspension. I really don't like the feeling of progressive and have a BAD taste in my mouth from the tanabe GF210's in my garage....shoulda named them the HF )Horrible Feeling springs!)

I need to know what you are using for struts, what sway bars are you using and if you are using the typical 245/75 19 inch wheel setup.......

Me...I have brand new tokico blues......and urethane sway bar bushings. I have 19inch rims sitting here in my den waiting for tires, on hold until the spring problem is resolved. Seriously I have 2 choices left in springs before I REALLY have to abandon ship and save for coilovers, but I do feel there is hope for me because there MUST be a spring out there that will do the job.

Please.....when you installed your springs....what suspension components were already on your car? please describe your feelings over stock.

i am still BAFFLED about how many people say tanabe makes their carr feel like it's on rails (they are liars)
Mine s an 03 but I have not had stock springs on it for years. I switched to Eibach Pro kit a few months after getting the car and had them for about 4 years with stock shocks and then Tokico Dspec. I found too soft, probably from the progressive rate and this also caused issues when I got new wheels and fatter tires and started to rub when going over bumps. Then I switched to the Swift, which are linear and they feel so much better, I was able to soften up the shocks which I had on full stiff to try and prevent the bouncing/rubbing I had with the Eibachs. But if you are looking for really stick springs then the Swift might not be the solution as they are a bit soft when pushing the rear end to the limit.

QUOTE (danimaldaisy @ Mar 12 2009, 10:36 PM)
Quote:
Westpak

just thought i would like you to know that your florida 350z forum has a virus embeded in it....i was trying to join to check out what you have done to the car but AVG keeps telling me that it found a virus in my temporary internet files and says it is from that website.....you might want to report it.

it's possible that whoever was working on the website had a virus on their PC when they uploaded it...

installing AVG and scanning it should fix it.

being a network administrator i cannot find anything better than AVG so far and it's free.

just trying to be helpful
Thanks I must have a virus on my laptop and happened when I did an upload, I corrected the files affected and will look into AVG

03 350Z 554RWHP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 90 300ZX TT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
they took my springs back and i paid the difference to get the sways that are supposed to be made by hotchkis...i have seen pictures and they look identical...so wee will see.

i also purchases a set of RS*R springs for now....if i feel they are not stiff enough for the koni's i plan on buying i may hunt down some whiteline springs

Varis duct, K&N drop in , Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, Megan Headers, Megan Y pipe, Stock H.I.D. conversion, Topspeed A-arms w/adjustable camber, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis sways (front stiffest rear middle). Stern Beast ST1 19 inch staggered wheels , Falken FK-452 Rubber. Whiteline urethane bushings
Next temporary mod is resonated test pipes with the stock y-pipe.
Next year Stillen supercharger stage 2 kit---order stage 3 pulley separately.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Mods

can we sticky this

this is up there with the fake teins! i feel NOBODY should be buying them!

even after i sent them back they claim nothing was wrong with them (LIARS) even though my pics show otherwise.

Respectfully

Daniel

Varis duct, K&N drop in , Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, Megan Headers, Megan Y pipe, Stock H.I.D. conversion, Topspeed A-arms w/adjustable camber, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis sways (front stiffest rear middle). Stern Beast ST1 19 inch staggered wheels , Falken FK-452 Rubber. Whiteline urethane bushings

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Base Member

QUOTE (danimaldaisy @ Apr 8 2009, 08:54 PM)
Quote:
Mods

can we sticky this

this is up there with the fake teins! i feel NOBODY should be buying them!

even after i sent them back they claim nothing was wrong with them (LIARS) even though my pics show otherwise.

Respectfully

Daniel
Can you prove that the design of the Cobb springs will result in failure? I've had mine installed for.. 1 year about 10k miles, track days, auto-x, etc.. no issue.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (thekinn @ Apr 22 2009, 11:26 AM)
Quote:
Can you prove that the design of the Cobb springs will result in failure? I've had mine installed for.. 1 year about 10k miles, track days, auto-x, etc.. no issue.
When i installed them (even though the bottom of the spring swiveled around the strut base and half the spring hung off the perch) i drove it down the street at 15 miles an hour and the car was darting left and right on it's own....and you know what....i believe it damaged my brand new tokico struts by putting pressure on the rod!!!!

it is SO OBVIOUS...just take off your tire and look!

I ended up going with RS_R springs and they fit like a glove.

not many people have these.....I personally have installed these my self.....so i can vouch that they are NOT SAFE....but i bought mine 2 months ago....when did you buy yours.....

I do have their sways...and they are actually hotchkis sways painted blue...and they work well....

i am stating this because i have installed it and seen it with my own eye's.

take a look around the forum...i posted pictures....and links to other people who had the same problem.

everyone who had a complaint installed the springs themselves.....those who paid to get it done didn't know any better.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (thekinn @ Apr 22 2009, 11:26 AM)
Quote:
The design is so bad...i find this hard to believe.

I would be ashamed to sell this spring...it would be like selling someone fake gold

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Base Member

QUOTE (danimaldaisy @ Apr 23 2009, 07:40 AM)
Quote:
When i installed them (even though the bottom of the spring swiveled around the strut base and half the spring hung off the perch) i drove it down the street at 15 miles an hour and the car was darting left and right on it's own....and you know what....i believe it damaged my brand new tokico struts by putting pressure on the rod!!!!
Oh. I guess you didn't read the first sentence of the product description... direct from cobbtuning.com 'http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3448'

"Direct replacement for the factory springs, and designed to work with the factory struts,"

You just said that you were using tokico struts..?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Enthusiast Member

did you do the install yourself?

I've been looking over suspension threads, and you seem to have a problem with just about every set up that people use on the Z33. Just makes me wonder....

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"
-buffett
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes i have done the install myself....i must have had the suspension torn apart at least 10 times.

have you tried taking off your tire and looking yet? as you may have see from my pictures and links to other forums...it should be very obvious to you and anyone else that they don't fit correctly.

most springs will work with the factory struts because the factory struts are CUSTOM valved for the Z....the after market ones are NOT and i recommend staying away from kyb and tokico blues.

I DO recommend an adjustable strut so that you can fine tune it to work with the spring of choice.

ALSO i am dealing with the 05 Z which has the updated suspension.....anyone with an 05+ must be careful choosing suspension parts as 90% of the springs out there are a downgrade from stock.

so far my RS-R springs are a good choice...and the suspension is top notch per the Nissan tech who just aligned it last Thursday....he did mention that i get either Tokico D-specs or koni as the blues are just too soft.

I pulled the trigger and got the D-spec.

Quote "and you seem to have a problem with just about every set up that people use on the Z33"

yes I do....i feel people spend a lot of money and are too prideful to admit that the parts they choose suck or are too lame to notice any difference " kinda like people who cant even feel a fly crawl on their arm"

I post for one reason only

I post for others to make the correct decision on buying parts by being informative.....EVERYTHING i have complained about has been installed on my vehicle and since all those parts sucked badly they were removed and sold....

I care about performance only......I'm not into lowering the Z just to look cool at the sacrifice of ride quality which is usually a sacrifice of safety and you're life also.

we don't need anybody dying on the freeway because another member said that their tanabe springs were awesome only to take their first corner on an on ramp and spin out or flip their car because of poor design.

their are just not many GOOD choices for the Z as far as springs are concerned.

My experience with the cobb springs were a horrible one....why would the stock springs and the tanabe springs, and now the RS-R springs sit on the strut perch perfectly and the cobbs not...and not just a a LAUGHABLE NO but a LAUGHABLE HELL NO!

anybody installing these themselves would for SURE come to the conclusion of HELL NO just by simply test fitting the spring onto the strut perch...OMG it was so obvious that i told myself " THIS IS COMPLETE BULLSH1T" i was PISSED OFF!

and you want to know what is worse!!!! when cobb received them as a return for store credit...they had the nerve to say that their was nothing wrong with them......thank GOD their sways were made by hotchkis.

I have nothing more to say that stay FAR AWAY from this spring.......if you want to know HOW BAD it was....grab any Z spring and turn it upside down on purpose and test fit it on the spring perch.....you will laugh...and this is exactly how the cobb springs fit.

just simply INSANE!

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Base Member

QUOTE (danimaldaisy @ Apr 26 2009, 11:08 PM)
Quote:
have you tried taking off your tire and looking yet? as you may have see from my pictures and links to other forums...it should be very obvious to you and anyone else that they don't fit correctly.
Yes, I did the install with some friends of mine. The COBB springs are in the same place they were over a year ago. Ride quality is great, no issues. I think you saw my pictures over at my350z.

So, aside from your opinion, you have no proof that the springs will fail. Your posts are written with very strong words. Maybe because you are bitter over spending so much time and money and not getting the exact results you expected... which is understandable. I'm just countering with the fact that I have the same springs on my stock '06 struts and have not had any issues... and I drive on some of the worst roads in the country... Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement