The official brake rotors debate - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to zamski
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to pose this question, but its a brakes query so I thought its pretty close.

I wanted to know when is a performance brake upgrade advisable for a Z that is purely a street vehicle? The answer would of course be relative to the horsepower output but any information or experience would be great. Over the next year or so I'm going to be modding my Z intensively and one of the first mods on my list are brake upgrades for my car. Looking at 300HP at the wheels minimum, I have got the brembo set up but I'm not sure if that's going to stand up to the spirited driving (lots of braking at high speeds etc).

Thanks in advance.

How would you drive the World's last gallon of fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
My $.02 on this one is that brakes and HP aren't necessarily connected. While its certainly nice to upgrade both, having more power won't tax your brakes significantly more. Speeds haven't changed unless you've changed gear ratios. On the streets (where 90% of the Z's on this site spend 95% of their time) you're still speed limit limited. If you're spending time on track, you may hit higher speeds and need better brakes.

I would look into better fluid, pads etc before a bbk. Don't forget, rotors contribute to unsprung weight just like heavy wheels do. I'm not saying you should just be pulling off the track as your brakes go, but you don't need a 16" 19 Pot kit if you're driving on the streets, it'll just slow you down. Heck, a guy on a Lotus forum went with smaller rotors as his were more than he needed, and just hurt him.

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Time for me to change the rotors. Was searching for EBC rotors and thought I'd mention it here.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Feb 27 2010, 09:34 PM)
Quote:
Time for me to change the rotors. Was searching for EBC rotors and thought I'd mention it here.
i LOVE my powerslot rotors.. but the first 20 miles really sucks.. they warn you about it.. but they don't warn you how bad it's really going to suck lol.. that coating is nasty and you feel like you don't even have brakes

That was a great 5 years with the Z. Moved on to better mpg and regular unleaded.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
I could do an easy 20 miles around here. Just not too keen on the other drivers that use my roads....lol

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Base Member

The Powerslot Cryo Rotors are great. Like night and day on the track. First time I raced with stock rotors (Hawk Pads) brakes started to fade bad around the 4-5 lap every heat and i'd have to give up a lap to let the brakes cool. Threw the Cryo Rotors on the next year (same track and pads) and I was going at least twice that before it would get just barely mushy.

2003 350z Touring w/ 80,000 miles
Injen full CAI
Test Pipes
Wedsport SA-70 Rims
Yokohama S-Drive 245/Front 275/Rear Tires
3240 lbs
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
When you replaced your rotors, did you also flush your brake fluid and put in new fluid? That helps a lot.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve350z View Post
neither does Stillen. the rotors they advertise are actually DBA 4000's and 5000's but since they label them as Stillen they charge over $100 more than what DBA (or vendors selling the DBA) do.
I realize this is an old thread, but it came up on a search so other must be able to find it, too!

This is bad information. Stillen was the company that brought DBA into the USA many years ago. The "Pillar Vane" rotors sold are definitely DBA 4000 and 5000 series and are labeled as such. They do not offer the "Street Series", which no one should be interested in anyway. Stillen's pricing is exactly in line with DBA's MSRP and MAP policy guidelines, not the "$100 more" quoted above. They work very closely with DBA to help keep pricing aggressive and fair for a product that is superior to most of the offerings currently on the market.

And, while Stillen does not cast rotors on site (none of the aftermarket manufacturers do, including Centric!), they do have custom tooling made for certain popular and/or function-critical part numbers.

Chris

Last edited by Chris_B; 07-02-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Update
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to jetpilot718
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothZ View Post
When you replaced your rotors, did you also flush your brake fluid and put in new fluid? That helps a lot.

Doing this during the week. I got a set of EBC Red's but when I went to install them I saw how bad my rotors looked (OEM, 58K miles). I found OEM rotors for around $80/ea, but for $100/ea I can get a set of StopTech slotted rotors. I think I'm gonna go with the StopTech's.

Has anyone got any experience with StopTech rotors? Good/bad?
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
StopTech = good. I think a lot of people on a budget are happy with the slotted rotors. I'm going to buy the set over the winter and do a complete brake 'upgrade.'

Got a link for me? Who's the vendor or source? PM if you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement