faint squeak from front of car UPDATE: FIXED! - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Folks,

I've noticed a faint, high pitched squeak (almost like a mouse) when going over bumps. Not a clunk or thud, but a squeak and seems only audible at slower speeds. Definitely coming from the front area. I don't think it's in the dash either, has to do with the suspension. Any ideas? I tried to rock the car to reproduce the sound but have been unsuccessful thus far, the z does not give much... Any ideas? It's an 05 with 15k miles. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Performance Member

Send a message via AIM to mthreat
Quote:
Folks,

I've noticed a faint, high pitched squeak (almost like a mouse) when going over bumps. Not a clunk or thud, but a squeak and seems only audible at slower speeds. Definitely coming from the front area. I don't think it's in the dash either, has to do with the suspension. Any ideas? I tried to rock the car to reproduce the sound but have been unsuccessful thus far, the z does not give much... Any ideas? It's an 05 with 15k miles. Thank you in advance!

Is it a "creak"? Try turning your steering wheel all the way from left, as far as it will go, to the right all the way, and back. Does that make it creak? It could be the swaybar endlinks, which are $15 each (2 front, 2 rear). Or you can replace them with the SPL parts ones, which are very strong and high quality (http://www.splparts.com/Parts/Z33/Su...rs/default.asp), but cost $148 per pair.

It could also be that your swaybar bushings need to be lubed. Do you have aftermarket swaybars?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Is it a "creak"? Try turning your steering wheel all the way from left, as far as it will go, to the right all the way, and back. Does that make it creak? It could be the swaybar endlinks, which are $15 each (2 front, 2 rear). Or you can replace them with the SPL parts ones, which are very strong and high quality (http://www.splparts.com/Parts/Z33/Su...rs/default.asp), but cost $148 per pair.

It could also be that your swaybar bushings need to be lubed. Do you have aftermarket swaybars?
Thank you for your insight, but unfortunately the steering wheel does not make the sound. I did find that when I open the door and stand on the sill, I can rock the car hard enough to reproduce the sound. It's a squeak all right, and it originates somewhere from the front end. I find that the squeak goes away for a short while after getting the car washed. Could it be the sway bar bushings?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Dissapointing Update:

The car went in for service - The Nissan guys kept it for two days and said while they could replicate the squeak, two days worth of searching proved fruitless. They told me that the shocks were tested for leaks and that the suspension is tight all around (but who knows for sure). Is that a bunch of bs or what? A qualified Nissan mechanic could not find a squeak in two days worth of work?

Anyhow, I guess I'm on my own in trying to pinpoint this mouse squeak of mine. I'll see what I can find when I get home from work. In the meantime, any, absolutely any ideas would be appreciated. Once again, the noise seems to originate from the front passanger side wheel well. Could a loose bolt somewhere cause the suspension to squeak like a mouse? A shot mount or bushing would likely knock or groan, not squeak, correct? Gentlemen, please pitch in - I am getting desperate :(

p.s. Someone mentioned in another thread that a cricket type squeak was caused by inadequately lubed axle splines - could this be my issue?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: Squeak resolved!

The Nissan tech had to be full of it, with some help from a friend I diagnosed the problem in about 15 minutes. Our strategy was simple: Jacked up the Z , grabbed a rubber mallet and started tapping on just about everything trying to replicate the noise. Turns out it was the passanger side engine mount. Sprayed the base of the mount with some penetrating oil - no more mouse squeaks. It's most intresting that the mount looked fine and was not loose. We'll see how long the lube job lasts, might have to replace the mount if the mouse squeaks come back.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Base Member

Send a message via AIM to ka5088 Send a message via Yahoo to ka5088
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobalt View Post
UPDATE: Squeak resolved!

The Nissan tech had to be full of it, with some help from a friend I diagnosed the problem in about 15 minutes. Our strategy was simple: Jacked up the Z , grabbed a rubber mallet and started tapping on just about everything trying to replicate the noise. Turns out it was the passanger side engine mount. Sprayed the base of the mount with some penetrating oil - no more mouse squeaks. It's most intresting that the mount looked fine and was not loose. We'll see how long the lube job lasts, might have to replace the mount if the mouse squeaks come back.
Thanks for the updates. I have been having the same problem with my Z. Well off to lube up my girl. Hopefully I wont have any bad luck and have to replace my mounts..

2007 Base Z33:
Nismo CAI, Stillen HFCs, Borla TD Exhaust

Misc:
Underglow, Nismo CF Nob, White Markers, Kenwood Audio, JL subs

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Grand Touring Member

Hmmm...interesting. I get squeaks when I go over dips and bumps. My Z sounds like pickup bed sometimes. I'll see if I this method (lubing) works for mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5088 View Post
Thanks for the updates. I have been having the same problem with my Z. Well off to lube up my girl. Hopefully I wont have any bad luck and have to replace my mounts..
Bravo! Someone actually did a search and found a thread that helped him. I'm impressed.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Thomas Automotive of NY markets a device which helps locate squeaks and rattles without requiring the technician to drive the vehicle, and this tool may have been useful for quickly finding the annoying motor mount squeak that kolbalt was chasing. The tool is called the Rattle Tracker. The car's tire is placed on this equipment, which contains a powerful electric motor that oscillates the suspension to recreate the squeak in the shop. The impulse frequency can be adjusted, by remote control, as the technician moves about the vehicle listening for the problem. Information about the Rattle Tracker is available at Rattle Tracker - The Ultimate Rattle & Squeak Diagnostic Tool or by calling (315)-923-2051.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:20 PM

I think I have narrowed it down to the driver side strut. Either the mounting surface on top or the boot spring area. Took it apart a lubed all and made gasket to go between mounting plate and body. Noise gone for now.

Last edited by Clapper; 05-14-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement