User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I did searches and could not find the answer to this. Since the OEM Pads are dusty little buggers, what material are they made out of?

I just want to know because I'm getting ready to swap back to the chrome wheels once the weather breaks, and don't want to ruin the chrome if they are abrasive semi-metallic pads.

If the stock pads are non-abrasive and they are just dusty well... that is ok I guess. I’ll maybe put up with them until they need replacing.

However, if I do swap them I wanted to choose something that has less dust. They don't need to stop better than OEM. Factory stopping power is ok for me. The car is never tracked, and driven mostly on the freeway.

The replacements I am considering are:

1. Hawk HPS (read lots of good stuff about these)
2. Akebono Ceramic pads. (good reviews on tire rack)
3. ECB Ceramic Red Stuff pads. (figuring ceramic material won’t bond to metal and is usually less dusty)
4. ECB Green Stuff Kevlar pads. (never had kevlar pads before, but they seem to be recommended)
5. Ceramicool's ceramic pads. (another ceramic pad)

Out of the five, what do you guys & gals think would be the best brand for low dust that won't bond to the wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
I would devinitely swap them regardless of what they are made of... I dont know the material though :(

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Grand Touring Member

well something has to give right!!

dusty wheels mean thet the rotors will last longer. no dust means that you will be wearing out the rotors faster.

supposedly the rotors should last the life of the car and thats how they are designed.

Varis duct, K&N drop in , Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, Megan Headers, Megan Y pipe, Stock H.I.D. conversion, Topspeed A-arms w/adjustable camber, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis sways (front stiffest rear middle). Stern Beast ST1 19 inch staggered wheels , Falken FK-452 Rubber. Whiteline urethane bushings
Next temporary mod is resonated test pipes with the stock y-pipe.
Next year Stillen supercharger stage 2 kit---order stage 3 pulley separately.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I contacted the dealership and they stated that the OEM pads are metallic pads.

I also called hawk to see if the fero carbon (sp?) pads are abrasive like metallic pads. Per Hawk the compound they use in the HPS pads will not damage wheels.

Anyone perfer the other brands listed over hawk? The only bad things I could find on hawk was some folks complained of squeeling.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
I have hawks and no squealing.....like them a lot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM

I've used the Bendix Titanium on 3 cars thus far (one being my dads "03 Acura CL Type S), with very minumal brake dust, and no squeeling. Now that I think about it, when the wheels looked dirty, it was more due to road debris than actual brake dust. I do plan on purchasing these for my Z, once this weather starts to warm up.

~Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement