LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question I want to tint my tail lights

I'd like to tint my stock, red tail lights black.

One of my friends once told me that he got his professionally done with a "matte finish." I saw them in person and was very impressed.

How would I go about finding a shop around my area that could do the same, if not similar job as my friend?

Another question: Are smoking and tinting tail lights the same thing or is it a different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Yes tinting and smoking are the same. If you don't want to DIY then just call around to your local tuning shops I suppose, if they don't do work like that my guess would be that they could probably recommend somewhere. If you saw your friends why not ask him where he got it done? I assume he's local to you if you saw them in person

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would recommend getting vinyl overlays. You can put them on yourself and they are cheap. The best part is that they aren't permanent so you aren't completely screwed if the popos bust you for having tinted lights.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxxycat View Post
Yes tinting and smoking are the same. If you don't want to DIY then just call around to your local tuning shops I suppose, if they don't do work like that my guess would be that they could probably recommend somewhere. If you saw your friends why not ask him where he got it done? I assume he's local to you if you saw them in person
He moved away unfortunately and I haven't been able to get in contact with him.

So all I would have to do is ask for a matte finish on my tail lights and they should know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrm350 View Post
I would recommend getting vinyl overlays. You can put them on yourself and they are cheap. The best part is that they aren't permanent so you aren't completely screwed if the popos bust you for having tinted lights.
I thought tinted tail lights were legal as long as you can see the lights when you brake? Any idea where I can see the laws on tinted tail lights by states?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
I would call and ask if they smoke or tint tail lights in a matte finish.

You can always call your local PD and ask about your state laws. Some states are more strict than others. But idrm350 is right, overlays are WAY cheaper and not permanent.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm getting mine smoked soon. It's being done by a paint guy. Literally, all it takes according to him is a spray of clear coat or something like that which makes the lights darker. I'm not going too dark, so I'm not worried about it being permanent.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Grand Touring Member

I think Josh put a DIY in the wiki, it's pretty straight forward...

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesopro View Post
I thought tinted tail lights were legal as long as you can see the lights when you brake? Any idea where I can see the laws on tinted tail lights by states?
Here you go:

Quote:
State law Sec. 547.3215 incorporates Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Subpart B, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Section 571.108, Standard No. 108; Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment. This standard contains the following:
S5.1.3 No additional lamp, reflective device or other motor vehicle equipment shall be installed that impairs the effectiveness of lighting equipment required by this standard.

As a general comment, any device that impairs the required effectiveness of headlamps, taillamps, reflectors or etc is prohibited. The lights, both front and rear, are made by the manufacturer to meet this safety standard. Putting something, particularly something dark would impair its effectiveness.
Texas Department of Public Safety - FAQs: Vehicle Lighting - Clear Lenses & Blackouts

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you all for your replies. I think I might just go with the overlays :\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement