User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
(...this is going to be a multi-part post, so bear with me until the end...)
So, I haven't changed anything on my car in 2 years except oil. Ya, hard to believe, I know. But an achilles injury has taken me out of my track season this year (which you have to understand is my life right now), and so I've started working on my car a bit to keep from going insane. Having owned my car for nearly 5 years now, it has accumulated lots of daily-use type of scars, and I took all this time I have off to repair some of them. Of course, if something is messed up, there's no reason to just replace it, so I took this opportunity to work on the vision I have had for my car for quite some time...

First, here are some of the problems going in:

Door handle was bubbling, which is a TSB on my year... I already had the passenger replaced. I took my car to the dealer at 35,xxx miles, they wrote it up for warranty, never got a call back. When I asked, they said they had no record of it and my car was not covered anymore. Recently, someone tore the bubbling paint off, so it was looking like crap...

Someone backed into me in a parking lot or something I guess over a year ago... hood is a little dented and bumper was scratched beyond wet sanding (although I did make it look pretty good). While these problems weren't IMMEDIATELY noticeable, they bothered me enough...

Bumper also had several years worth of paint chips from curbs and rock chips that you can't necessarily see in pics very well...

Headlights were getting hazy... 5 years of weather...

I had bought a new bumper to do some work on, but there was a dent in it that was not in the description and it was not coming out... so I grudgingly shipped it back...

Now, time to get to work...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Threw the car on a couple stands, I only put this picture up because I was wondering if someone more experienced can chime in on whether on not this is a suitable place to put the stands (on the frame)? This is how Enjuku Racing taught me to do it several years ago when we did my entire suspension set up (usually use 4), but I don't often actually put my car up on stands, and definitely haven't at all since I stopped doing my major mods a few years back.

Front end off the ground...

I kicked things off with a new door handle. OEM, ordered it offline pretty cheap...

Next, I got an 8000K HID conversion kit that is LONG overdue (the 05' Base that I have came with halogens)

I got the new lights in easy enough, no more custom work than drilling a hole and mounting the ballasts...pretty simple install.

You can't really do HIDs justice with a camera, but to try and show color difference I took pics in the daytime, AND:

Before (headlights still cloudy)

After

These things are WAAAY brighter than the halogens. I absolutely LOVE them. Forgive me, I've never had HIDs before, but the way they ignite and the color...SOO cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
A little more of the no fun work before we get to the good stuff....

Of course I changed the oil while she was off the ground.
Checked coolant as well, etc, etc...

The tools of an ex-car detailer (that would be me) ...the 3M stuff is really good, I highly recommend it over anything else I've ever tried, both for cutting and glazing....

And....

KAZAM!!! Just like new...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice writeup, Willy. That was great reading. Now go edit your first post. Put some tags around that image link.

I love 3M stuff. It's great stuff. Those guys are geeks when it comes to chemicals. The lights look awesome. I'll probably end up doing that, but I'd like to see you post more details on that process. I'll probably do it soon.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
ON TO THE FUN STUFF!!!
A local body kit dealer was going out of business...well...sort of... they have warehouses here and Cali, but they are moving out of here and selling all their stuff off. I managed to score this baby for a verrrrry good deal, and no shipping made it a SUPER good deal. I have wanted a vented hood like this for a very long time (first mod i wanted to do 5 years ago actually), the tubos get so hott down in there and my car tells me she wants more fresh air!!! More on the hood to come...

Went to pick her up in my truck, that box is BIG. Had to drive over the Dames Point and back down 9A at like 45mph (for those of you familiar with DUVAL.

AIT-BMagic R1 Carbon hood... carbon quality seems to be very good actually, I was pleasantly surprised with it. Hood was noticeably lighter than stock, but not like, OMG THAT'S SO MUCH WEIGHT SAVINGS! Thus far, I give the carbon quality and the finish itself an A. It has molded spots for the strut bar, battery covers, etc, and fits over all them with no problem.

I'm not sure if this is "standard" but one thing I REALLY appreciate about this hood is that the latch is adjustable. This way, you can get the hood locked in nice and snug, as well as getting it to fit just perfect.

Got her out of those old clothes like a prom dress....

Hood on, and let me say for something that looks so simple (4 bolts), it was an ENORMOUS PITA. My dad and I put it on and took it off probably 7 times and made 2 trips to the hardware store to get new bolts and washers. The hard part was getting it centered (side to side). We also had to shim it up a little higher with washers because it sat below the fender line without them. We gave up on it last night because it got dark and finally finished it this morning. This is definitely a 2 person job, I couldn't imagine how big of a pain it would be to do alone. But, we DID get it, and fitment on this hood is quite good, I would say 95%, but not like 'OMG is that an OEM NISSAN HOOD?!' (more below). The holes match up absolutely perfect, thank God, and there is just probably 1/16-1/8 inch more room between the hood and the fenders.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)

So at this place on the hood on both sides, it fell below the fender lines and looked like sh*t.

Simple Fix. Ran down to the hardware store, again, grabbed a hard foam 3M pad, cut a little square, 3M taped it on (you probably wouldn't even notice it if you opened my hood...), AND...

Perfect fit.
So, in recap, after the huge PITA that was getting this hood installed and fit just right...well, it did just that, fit right. Coupled with the quality of the carbon, I'm gonna rate this hood A- overall. Looks, well, that's subjective. I love it, and I'm pretty sure anyone that sees it in person will love it too. If you don't like it, it would be difficult for me to express in words how little I care, so don't waste your time
My car sounded good before, but with this hood on, it sounds absolutely FIERCE!!! I don't know if it's the material, the vents, just that there's more room in there, or a combination of all 3, but in the cockpit, it sounds MEAN!! My mom noticed the difference right away (and that's really saying something) You can see heat waves coming out of the vents when driving, SOOO cool. The hood itself stays quite cool, but if you put your hand over a vent after driving, it feels like a space heater is going full blast on your hand.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to serx93 Send a message via Yahoo to serx93
Willy,

you might want to look into this, but from what everyone I have known that has carbon fiber on their cars have told me, you need to have it clearcoated to protect the color and finish. I am pretty sure over time it can yellow if you dont. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Oh yeah....sweet hood!!!

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Having sent back the other hood, I got mine off and did work on it. Sanded the whole thing down (hours or prep work by hand) and dropped it off to get painted.

This is a shaved OEM repainted with a Titek CF duct and clear side markers. I have had 5 bumpers now made of all materials, so I can say with some perspective that OEM is the way to go. Do whatever you want to do with it (personally, I think mine looks awesome), but I HATE FRP of anykind, and I love the OEM urethane and fit.
Paint quality is OK, I give it a B. Would look great to most eyes, but to my ex-detailer eye, it can use a little work. I intend to wet sand and cut it out right, once the paint has cured a bit.

First piece I ordered some 3 weeks ago, last to get here. Came TODAY!

It is just the Intense Power front lip spoiler, but for only $179 SHIPPED, this is a REE-diculous deal. The urethane quality seems great, and it fit my car like a puzzle piece. I don't think it would come off if you did nothing but snap it on, but just in case I threw on some 3M tape and some bolts (pics to follow).
As I said, I am a HUGE urethane fan. With the scheme I went with (again, pics to follow), I think it looks right at home unpainted, which was the goal. This way, I can scrape it all over daily driving (bound to happen no matter how careful you are) without having to ever worry about cracking, paint chipping, etc, etc, and since the material itself is black, I am hoping it will just stay looking good...
I mean, there's no way it can be as bad as my other set ups...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing

Love the 3M block fix to get the hood sitting right

2003 LeMans Sunset Touring Coupe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
AND FINALLY.....

I drove out to take pictures with my Track, since that is the reason I am doing car work, after all...

The outside of our stadium...

Thanks for bearing with my extreeemmmmeeeellyyyy long post, I hope you enjoy it!!! I am loving this set up and was jerking heads everywhere I drove today!!!
My performance mods are currently in the mail, so stay tuned!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement