HID Conversion Kit Question - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jgruberman Send a message via MSN to jgruberman Send a message via Yahoo to jgruberman
(Thread Starter)
Why is it the HID stuff is so expensive in general, but why is it that kits are so cheap like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon-HID-6...5QQcmdZViewItem

Is there a certain thing that these kits should have that I need to look for in terms of quality? What makes one kit good and another not?

Also... I searched and googled, but how do I know if I definitively have HID lighting? I have an 03 base model, but not sure if they are HID... honestly.. sometimes they look bluer and sometimes they look yellowish. I might just be imagining, but how do I tell easily?

If you don't have the time to do it right,
when will you have time to do it over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Touring Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If you have an '03 Base, you have halogens from the factory. Of course, some previous owner (I assume you bought the Z pre-owned) could have installed HID lights over the years. A quick way to check is how quickly your lights go off when you tern them off. Halogens go off somewhat slowly, HID lights go off instantly. You could also pull out the light bulbs and check.

Not everyone who lost his life in Vietnam died there. Not everyone who came home from Vietnam ever left there.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Send a message via AIM to jgruberman Send a message via MSN to jgruberman Send a message via Yahoo to jgruberman
(Thread Starter)
Thats a good way to check. Thanks for the differentiation between the two.

Also, at my first question, why is that HID conversion kit so cheap? Are there certain factors to make a kit "cheaper quality" than others?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
*BUMP* to get an answer about why some HID kits are cheaper... like WAY cheaper than others like the eBay one in the first post in this thread. What am I looking for to know a "good" kit?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HID kits are cheap because they suck. In my opinion, this is a classic case of "You get what you pay for". That's the short answer. There are a few out there that use good quality parts and the price will reflect that. IMHO they look tacky as well. There are tons of cars here in SoCal that use those cheap Craigslist kits and they are a tacky, ricey blue color. If you swap the lenses in the '06+ bi-xenons, the cut-off, color, and intensity looks comparable to high end lights on Mercedes and BMWs. Why not buy some '06+ bi-xenons and rewire? A set will probably cost you $600+ but it will update the car a bit and the light quality is night and day.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (IDrm350 @ Jul 30 2009, 10:46 AM)
Quote:
HID kits are cheap because they suck. In my opinion, this is a classic case of "You get what you pay for". That's the short answer. There are a few out there that use good quality parts and the price will reflect that. IMHO they look tacky as well. There are tons of cars here in SoCal that use those cheap Craigslist kits and they are a tacky, ricey blue color. If you swap the lenses in the '06+ bi-xenons, the cut-off, color, and intensity looks comparable to high end lights on Mercedes and BMWs. Why not buy some '06+ bi-xenons and rewire? A set will probably cost you $600+ but it will update the car a bit and the light quality is night and day.
Understandable. I'm not going to get like 8000 or higher, that's too ricey. I am gonna get either 5000 or 6000 temp bulbs. And I'm sure at some point, ill swap out the lights, just need to get to that point financially

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Grand Touring Member

Cost of course, boils down to quality.

The ballasts will vary in quality, which in turn control how the power is drawn from the car's power supply and how it is supplied to the bulb itself.

Bulb quality is another.

Same with wiring. Good HID kits will tap the battery directly and only connect to the OEM lighting system to tell it when to turn on. The cheap ones don't. To ignite a HID you need 20,000V, and then around 80V to keep them running. Halogen headlights only need 12-24V, and the OEM wiring isn't exactly rated for a voltage almost 10,000 times higher.

OEM HIDs are expensive because its not just a bulb replacement. The entire housing has to be replaced. The way they produce light is different, and so the housing for the light needs to be different to make best use of it. Sticking HID bulbs in most halogen-designed housings either gives you less light, or blind everyone else on the road.

That's before you get into the OEM markup to get a "premium" feature.

If you want to do HIDs, get factory HIDs. I did a bulb conversion on my car. While its initially cool to have a bluer, more natural, light, the fact that it doesn't go as far and looks a lot weaker meant I was glad to see them go.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Base Member

Hello,

Thanks for the info, Alan (Scathing)...I was looking to do a bulb replacement, but am re-thinking that now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement