Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Cranks but no start...any advice?

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MartinZ 
#1 ·
I have an NA 2003 6MT with 147k miles on it.
There are zero codes to pull, although ECM connection is okay with OBDII scanner.
I did see the CEL come on a few times in the last few months, but every time I checked it, the ECM had no faults stored, and went away not long after.

Mods that may matter

JWT popcharger
Invidia Gemini
Berk HFC
Uprev Tuned

A few weeks ago, the car become hesitant to take gas up a hill and I struggled to get it make any power. Luckily, I was very close to home and able to drift it in my driveway as the car finally died. I had someone spray a tiny bit of ether into the TB while I cranked it. It wanted to start, so I assumed replace fuel pump go from there. I ordered a new Precice brand fuel pump and while I waited, disassembled and cleaned the TB, as well as the intake cone filter.
New pump arrived, I changed it out, car started right away. Hurray! problem fixed right?

Fast-forward one week, pretty much the exact same thing happened to me coming home from work. Felt like I redlined on WOT 5k, It ran for a few miles longer very poorly and throttle response got worse and worse until it shut off altogether.
I turned it back on, it ran for another half mile, and died again. Started it back up a third time, got about 100 feet. Kept getting a little further but eventually it would not start at all. Car was towed back home after this.

I thought, since the car responded so well to a new fuel pump the first time, and what I bought was not Hitachi OEM, I started the return process and on my replacement and decided to order a new OEM.
Second fuel pump arrives, I install it in the car, and this time it didn't change anything. The pump primes, but it will just crank forever and only try to start with the help of a little bit of ether.

Next step is to tear down to the fuel rails, but I will need to buy an adapter to fit it for a pressure test correct?
Any ideas guys? I am somewhat handy but not the worlds greatest mechanic either. I really don't want to take it to the stealership....

See less See more
#2 ·
Read this thread on the other Z site, and agree that you've been throwing parts at it. But one line got my attention in your post that needs some clarification: "Fast-forward one week, pretty much the exact same thing happened to me coming home from work. Felt like I redlined on WOT 5k, It ran for a few miles longer very poorly and throttle response got worse and worse until it shut off altogether."

Does this mean you overrevved the VQ somehow? Missed shift? Please clarify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.