User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cranks but no start...any advice?

I have an NA 2003 6MT with 147k miles on it.
There are zero codes to pull, although ECM connection is okay with OBDII scanner.
I did see the CEL come on a few times in the last few months, but every time I checked it, the ECM had no faults stored, and went away not long after.

Mods that may matter

JWT popcharger
Invidia Gemini
Berk HFC
Uprev Tuned

A few weeks ago, the car become hesitant to take gas up a hill and I struggled to get it make any power. Luckily, I was very close to home and able to drift it in my driveway as the car finally died. I had someone spray a tiny bit of ether into the TB while I cranked it. It wanted to start, so I assumed replace fuel pump go from there. I ordered a new Precice brand fuel pump and while I waited, disassembled and cleaned the TB, as well as the intake cone filter.
New pump arrived, I changed it out, car started right away. Hurray! problem fixed right?

Fast-forward one week, pretty much the exact same thing happened to me coming home from work. Felt like I redlined on WOT 5k, It ran for a few miles longer very poorly and throttle response got worse and worse until it shut off altogether.
I turned it back on, it ran for another half mile, and died again. Started it back up a third time, got about 100 feet. Kept getting a little further but eventually it would not start at all. Car was towed back home after this.

I thought, since the car responded so well to a new fuel pump the first time, and what I bought was not Hitachi OEM, I started the return process and on my replacement and decided to order a new OEM.
Second fuel pump arrives, I install it in the car, and this time it didn't change anything. The pump primes, but it will just crank forever and only try to start with the help of a little bit of ether.

Next step is to tear down to the fuel rails, but I will need to buy an adapter to fit it for a pressure test correct?
Any ideas guys? I am somewhat handy but not the worlds greatest mechanic either. I really don't want to take it to the stealership....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Read this thread on the other Z site, and agree that you've been throwing parts at it. But one line got my attention in your post that needs some clarification: "Fast-forward one week, pretty much the exact same thing happened to me coming home from work. Felt like I redlined on WOT 5k, It ran for a few miles longer very poorly and throttle response got worse and worse until it shut off altogether."

Does this mean you overrevved the VQ somehow? Missed shift? Please clarify.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Does this mean you overrevved the VQ somehow? Missed shift? Please clarify.
No - it means at full throttle the engine would not rev past 5,000rpm

He needs to read the ECU for codes
I would assume MAF or crank or cam sensor was dying and now has died

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinZ View Post
No - it means at full throttle the engine would not rev past 5,000rpm

He needs to read the ECU for codes
I would assume MAF or crank or cam sensor was dying and now has died
No- he thinks it's a fuel supply issue.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
No- he thinks it's a fuel supply issue.
He's just guessing and throwing parts it
Two fuel pumps later and he's no better off
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinZ View Post
He's just guessing and throwing parts it
Two fuel pumps later and he's no better off
While I did take a couple guesses at first, I have been a Z owner for 6 years and have tore down and fixed various different components of my vehicle.
Once I got some time, I have actually taken the car apart and checked supply to the fuel rails. I did not need a pressure gauge even to see that when cranking the car, there is no fuel coming out the damper. Injectors were bone dry. All symptoms point to a fuel pump, but yes this is pump number two, and it has never worked.
I returned the parts I bought that didn't work anyway, except for the crank sensor.

I really thought I could figure this one out, like many other tasks on my Z in the past.
As Dkmara replied in the other Z site, I am going to take it to a local shop who does good work.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soran1421 View Post
While I did take a couple guesses at first, I have been a Z owner for 6 years and have tore down and fixed various different components of my vehicle.
Once I got some time, I have actually taken the car apart and checked supply to the fuel rails. I did not need a pressure gauge even to see that when cranking the car, there is no fuel coming out the damper. Injectors were bone dry. All symptoms point to a fuel pump, but yes this is pump number two, and it has never worked.
I returned the parts I bought that didn't work anyway, except for the crank sensor.

I really thought I could figure this one out, like many other tasks on my Z in the past.
As Dkmara replied in the other Z site, I am going to take it to a local shop who does good work.
I don't understand why would you send the car to a shop
If there is no fuel you're three simple steps away from a fix

1) Blocked fuel line (or severed fuel line but you have not mentioned fuel leaks) - blow air through the line from the tank end
2) Pump not working
3) No power to the fuel pump - apply 12v to the pump as a temporary measure to test the pump works
Then work out why car (ECU) is not supplying 12v to the pump

These are very simple and obvious steps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement