LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spring Drive with 350Z

Yesterday, for the first time in several weeks, my redline '03 track model got exercised on several trips around town. Here in Denver, we get the majority of snowfall in late winter and a week ago were buried under a huge snow that blew through. But most of it melted off quickly, and I enjoyed driving the Z again.

What I noticed were the things we take for granted if the Z is a DD. Things like the precise control that having a clutch offers when stopped and making a turn. While my preorder Z has over 100K on it now, the clutch still has a precise bite point that gets it moving right when you need power. The Z still uses the original flywheel, but by simply replacing the original clutch disc and using heel-toe rev matching has kept the system in great shape.

Beyond the precise steering and handling, I found myself wondering about how much I enjoyed NOT having the latest stability and safety features of 2019 cars. There was no warning from the pre-collision braking system as I let off the gas and judged the closing rate on a turning car in front of me. Nor was there a shake of the steering wheel (lane keeping cameras) when I flicked around a lumbering truck blocking the road. Setting CC on the highway meant I had to use my long distance depth perception to judge following distances, and not rely on radar or sonar sensors embedded in the front bumper.

Beyond all these things, my springtime drive around Denver made me again realize how much the Z33 design gives me everything I want and desire in a sportscar and nothing more. The complexity and expense of many features now standard on 2019 vehicles seem to pale compared to the inherent goodness of the Z.
MicVelo and khnitz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Next weekend I'll be taking another spring drive, except this one will be an 850-mile trip to St. Louis. The SCCA Majors series will come to the roval course at Gateway International, just across the river from the arch. My HR-powered Z will be in Touring 1 trim and that means no lead weight, no air restrictors and larger wheels and tires. The 2019 race season will be challenging and there's certainly no guarantees of success, but I'm ready to drive this Z without any mandatory SCCA restrictions for 2019.
MicVelo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement