Just picked up a Z! Back in the Nissan fam! - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just picked up a Z! Back in the Nissan fam!

Whats up guys! I just rejoined he Nissan fam bam. Picked up a 05 z at the auctions this morning. Had a S13 240 a few years back. Then sold her off. Now I'm back! Huge upgrade IMO!

Who ever lost this thing I'm truly sorry, but you took GREAT care of this thing until the crash! But just know, it went to a GREAT home and will hopefully be seeing the road, track and some upgrades soon!

All I know for now is it's a 2005, 50k miles. Brembo / OEM Nav package.

My one question for now it's convertible. Is it possible to mount a targa top onto a open top? Or does it have to come from a coupe? Not really diggin the full convertible thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:54 AM
Performance Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
The interior sure looks clean!

On your question about a "targa" top,I have seen removable hardtops for the 350Z roadster.
I believe they ran around 2k(not incl shipping or painting).Some companies that offered
them may no longer have them in inventory due to the Z33 being out of production.
Who knows,you may find one on ebay? Ironically,I owned a Alfa spyder. I was looking for
a removable hardtop.Found one at a local dealer . It was a used part. Had it painted my
body color. Was a great addition during the winter. It sure helped when I sold the car.

But a "targa" top?
A "targa" top usually has a flat roll bar design that is permanent,as is the rear window.
The top section over the seats is removable. I do not think this type of design is available
for the Z. Could be custom made at a huge cost. Furthermore,the design of the Z with
no space or rear seats would not allow this. You could modify the removable hardtop
to make the front section removable...
Hey, but all these mods would prolly cost you mare than you paid for the car.

I'd focus on getting it into driving shape first.
Fix the front.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply! Yea, this car aside from the front end damage is in immaculate condition to say the least. Someone really took good care of this Z. With the mile count for an '05. I feel this was probably someone's weekend baby or summer car.

And that's about all I found too. I don't like the hard top replacement shapes tho. I want a almost exact replica of a coupe line.

I'm thinking of maybe just fiber glassing a coupes top for a mold or salvaging another coups roof and then make mount brackets to lock into the existing soft top mechanism. That way I get the lines I like of the coupe I want.

But yea, first things first I gatta replace the radiator and radiator mount bar then go from there. But that should be pretty basic and straight forward for the most part. I hope... lol

Only time will tell.

I've just never owned an open top car before. And I just found out about targa tops. Couldn't tell if it's just chopped coupes only. Or if people do them for open tops. Was just looking to see if any of you guys had any more info for when I get to, or even go that rout. So at least I will have a base line to work off of and look to get started.

My original plans for this car was to just gut it and transplant it into a take off of a FR Ariel atom type tube car, and shorten the wheel base a bit. But it almost feels like a disservice to part out and take this Z thats in such great shape and low miles off the road. I wasn't expecting it to be in this good of condition when buying it off the auction site :(

I've done more damage to my 02 GT when I slid into the back of a F150 at a light at 10 mph.. Almost identical damage accept on the mustang the fenders crumpled with it.

Last edited by CK_32; 12-31-2015 at 11:44 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Performance Member

Cool bodywerk meister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Yea that's about all I found too. I don't like the hard top replacement shapes tho. I want a almost exact replica of a coupe line.

I'm thinking of maybe just fiber glassing or salvaging another coups roof and then mount brackets to lock into the existing soft top mechanism. That way I get the lines I like of the coupe I want.

But yea, first things first I gatta replace the radiator and radiator mount bar then go from there. But that should be pretty basic and straight forward for the most part. I hope... lol

Only time will tell.

I've just never owned an open top car before. And I just found out about targa tops. Couldn't tell if it's just chopped coupes only. Or if people do them for open tops. Was just looking to see if any of you guys had any more info for when I get to, or even go that rout. So at least I will have a base line to work off of and look to get started.

My original plans for this car was to just gut it and transplant it into a take off of a FR Ariel atom type tube car, and shorten the wheel base a bit. But it almost feels like a disservice to part out and take this Z thats in such great shape and low miles off the road. I wasn't expecting it to be in this good of condition when buying it off the auction site :(
I understand what you envision.
Some serious fabrication my friend.
I've done some moderate customizing back in the day...
Stuff like,frenched headlights,radiused wheel wells,rolled pans etc.
But,doing a REMOVABLE top that will design/blend into the Z and
will not leak---eek!

As far as converts go, I've always had a belief that everyone should
own a drop top/roadster-whatever at least once in their life.
I've had,6(no ,7). Preferably a real sportscar. Not our Z which should not
have been converted to a roadster in the first place(the top ruins
the lines of the car!). Get a Brit car. A real sportscar like a Healy,MG
and such. A early Jaguar would be great if you were loaded. Hey,if
you were,you would not being buying wrecks at auction.
Am I right?
Enjoy the roadster for starters.
You may like it.

Chopping off the roof from a coupe (if you could find one)to fab into
a usable top that can go on&off sounds like stuff you scribble on
a napkin or,after getting loaded. In reality,unless you are a George
Barris(look him up),its not gonna work.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on buying a used 350Z soon. It has 56,000 miles. It has broken head lights. Where can I buy head lights from ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 PM

My friend needs an engine for 2004 Nissan 350Z. We need help locating a good engine. Can someone help ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Performance Member

nickyr1, Where are you located?
In the U.S.?

Used Z parts like headlights,try Slidegood.com.

Engines,ebay &other sites have them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 AM

[quote=CK_32;1221489]Whats up guys! I just rejoined he Nissan fam bam. Picked up a 05 z at the auctions this morning. Had a S13 240 a few years back. Then sold her off. Now I'm back! Huge upgrade IMO!

Who ever lost this thing I'm truly sorry, but you took GREAT care of this thing until the crash! But just know, it went to a GREAT home and will hopefully be seeing the road, track and some upgrades soon!

Can you give me a link to it on autoauctionhistory.co? I can't seem to find it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement