2007 HR Touring 6MT 1 month ownership...so far. - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2007 HR Touring 6MT 1 month ownership...so far.

Just some observations almost 1 month into my Z ownership...I forgot about all those tossers who want to try and race you at every stop light.

Drive train is one noisy clunky bit of gear and stock clutch takes some getting used to. Bear in mind I am used to driving a 07 manual Toyota corolla sedan.

Power on this thing always like it's straining on the leash. Roads here are limited to 80 kph max. Lucky to hit end of 3rd gear.

Engine is damn smoothe and quiet until 3k in any gear as scenery gets quicker.

20,30,40,50 something's craning their heads trying to figure out what the hell your driving.

Being able to watch my fuel gauge physically empty as the foot goes down. I watched the needle move down. Unbelievable.

The double and triple takes of people leaving the petrol bowser as they ogle your car as you fill up.

Going to my garage before bed and opening the side door and staring at it in my garage and sighing.

The nieces and nephews begging for a ride and drive...

Yes I am still getting used to it...and loving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Interesting thoughts on owning your first real sports car. Where are you located that 80kph is the max speed limit? Are there any racetracks located nearby to allow you to at least sample what your Z is capable of?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Some would argue the R32 GTR or the 200sx I have owned were real sports cars / coupes but definition is open these days. I live in the west coast of Australia. The speed limit on my highway was just raised to 80kph. I ditched my 2010 WRX due to the fact I only now live 12 kms from work and with a stupid 60kph limit on the highway then. I was only able to open the WRX up for 10 seconds in the brief section of highway that was 80kph. This section has been extended and modified now for a few kms for 80kph. I was going to go back to a WRX but I always wanted a new Z.

The state next to mine has an official open road unlimited speed limit, if that makes sense. That's the Northern Territory. I would love to go there one day for a "shakedown".

I live near an airport and we have a driver centre nearby. However I do have access to a proper racetrack, but before I head that way I am investing a few k in some good brakes. I am all too aware of what racetracks can do to brakes.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Grand Touring Member

Thought you might be an Oz resident. What's the name of your nearby racetrack?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
The driver centre is just a semi circuit with a couple skid pans.

Proper track is called barbagallo raceway or wanneroo raceway.

It's a 6 pack and a cut lunch to get to, so we usually make a day of it when it's opened for tuning days.

But it's brakes first before I even think of going there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Having just gotten my car back from Santas workshop it was off the road for some warranty work.

Appears a misfire crept in and was randomly testing my neck muscles once in a while.

It was rare but damn annoying all the same.

In some cases it would occur coming out of a roundabout or when in high gear and trying to accelerate normally away at around 30kmh. Idle in traffic would sometimes drop really low and occasionally stall the car, not only embarrassing but dangerous too.

Got it checked out and appears further diagnosis reveal non-factory throttle bodies were fitted at some stage of the previous ownership.

The units on it are Hitachi branded and once rebuilt, the car is running perfectly so far.

After a few weeks i was starting to really miss my car. It was worth buying it from a dealer or i would have been a few thousand out of pocket.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Grand Touring Member

For an '07 Z, your Z would have been out of the factory warranty a long time ago (USDM spec Z go 3 years/36K miles). You must have some form of aftermarket warranty. Mind if I ask how much it costs in Oz?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM
Base Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
When you buy a second hand car in Australia a warranty is provided (variable, depends on age and km)
Sounds like he bought the car from a Nissan dealer who has had to rectify the problem for him
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
@MartinZ correct it's the nationwide statutory warranty.

Being through this I will always prefer to buy from a dealer than private.
@dkmura the warranty states cars over X thousand K $$$ and below certain mileage qualify for 3 months or 5000kms which ever is first. Dealer only. Private seller you have to be lucky or hope the seller is being straight up with you...hope.

Why it took me round 3 months to buy and research this car, even then no one knew about the throttles. Stat warranty saved me in many ways.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
So after it was started the first time since the throttle body rebuilds I noticed the cold start is now at 2000rpm for several seconds and then tends to settles round 1000-1100 rpm after several more seconds. Throttle pickup seems to be more touchy/responsive down low.

After a nice cruise round I called the master tech at the dealership that rectified this and he said the cold start rpm is perfectly normal. The previous idle at 1000 rpm was apparently abnormal when the misfires were diagnosed.

Not sure if it's because I haven't drive it for a few weeks or if the rebuild reset has changed the engine behaviour but at WOT the cars induction sounds more throaty. I can definitely live with that.

Oh and Happy New Year all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement